Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

International adoption considerations

Hi!

My husband and I have a 14 month old son, and we are now in the process of adopting a girl internationally from Honduras. We are waiting to hear when our homestudy will be started so we're still in the beginning stages of the adoption. We are also compiling our dossier right now.

I don't know much about large families adopting because that doesn't apply to us. I do know that some countries do have limitations in regards to how many children can already be in the home. You'll have to research to find out which country(ies) are a good fit for your family that you qualify for. Once you have done this, then the research into choosing your agency is next. That is overwhelming because there are soooo many out there and you need to make sure you sign with a respectable, responsible agency. There are many good ones out there, as well as shady ones.

In choosing a country, you need to decide what age range you want. Some countries will only allow adoptions of older children, or younger children with special needs, etc. As for gender, some countries will not allow prospective adoptive parents (PAP) choose, some will only let you choose if you already have the opposite sex already, and some countries will let you choose. Then the same things also vary from agency to agency. So, if a country allows adoptive parents choose gender, not every agency will allow it.

Another thing to consider is travel. Many countries require at least two trips, but there are some where you only have to take one. Also, if either or both PAPs have a history of certain medical conditions that will disqualify you. Each country will have their own rules. For example, a history of cancer will disqualify you from one country, but not another.

There is so much to think about and research before even beginning actual adoption process!! And the paperwork!! It is amazing how much is required!

Here is the official government website for international adoption. You can research each country you are interested in to learn more about requirements, who is available for adoption, etc. http://adoption.state.gov/

A website that is a great forum for adoptions is on Adoption.com. It is full of knowledgeable people who are more than happy to answer questions so I highly recommend checking it out.

I hope this basic info might help someone a little bit.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you, this is all very helpful! Good luck with your journey.