Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potty training

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Potty training

So, DS is 2. It's like I've never potty trained a child before- I can't figure out how to start!

Any potty training tips or routines that worked for you?
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ahhh....boys! My mother-in-law told me that my DH was walking, talking and potty trained by age 10 months. lol.

Honestly, from raising 3 boys, I can tell you that it's all about when THEY are ready....and boys tend to be lazy when it comes to potty training.

You can try the usual rewards...an M&M or some other treat for peeing in the potty (sometimes it helps to keep a jar full on a shelf in the bathroom) or putting cheerios or fruit loops in the toilet to aim at for fun.
    You can also let them run around in the backyard naked, but sometimes that's confusing...they don't understand why they can pee in the backyard, but not in the front yard - or anywhere else for that matter.

Wishing you lots of luck. My guys were stubborn little things and even after we had the urinating in the toilet down, they still wanted to poop in a pull-up. BLAH. I think it's habit.
    Proud mom of 3 sweet boys...
    and one BEAUTIFUL little girl!
    (Thanks Atomic!)

Guess my nub? LOL...

http://genderdreaming.com/forum/ultr...guess-3-a.html

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    BeadinMom I agree 100% with you. My kids always led to way. My dd started showing interest yesterday and will be 3 in Oct. She went potty 2 times. It was great. Today she wanted to wear a diaper, so I put one on. I never had a child in diapers over 3.5 years of age. They were ready one day and that was it. Good luck to you. Don't put pressure on yourself.
    (9) (6) (5) (3) (1)

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We are in the midst of it, ds2 is 2.5. I def waited for the 'ready' clues. He wanted to wear underwear that day (after lots of talk about it) and do we did. As long as they aren't peeing like 15 times in their underwear, they're ready!
    So no turning back! Pooping is not all clear yet, he's holding it hostage the last couple times and I physically had to hold him on the toilet so he would go yesterday! He knows not to go in his underwear but the holding it freaks me out! My nephew who is 8 still has to be reminded to poop regularly!! I think it's a control issue! I knew this would be a problem ( with control) for him as he is so strong willed! So far my husband seems the go to man for getting poop out of him lol! Whatever gets him over the hump! Ds 1 took 3 days and hardly an accident, a dream really!
    I guess my point is the same as others, wait til they are ready for sure!
    Good luck teaching him to pee in the actual toilet not beside it or on the shower curtains lol!! My 2nd has horrible aim

Had my first and only little girl Emmerson oct 19,2014 right on her due date!
    Hoping I stop calling her 'little dude, bud' and him real soon

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So, I have to wait until he asks to go in the potty? I guess I can buy a little potty and see if he thinks that's cool. Do they sit or stand when they are too short to use the real potty? Do you use a stool?
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm thankful for bathroom cleaner. I think every boy in my house has terrible aim...including dh!!!
    (9) (6) (5) (3) (1)

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My DS1 and DS2 had a little potty, they were both out of diapers by 2.5 yrs. I used a basket on the counter in the bathroom and went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of little toy cars, action figures, etc and wrapped each one so it was a big deal to open them. I put a potty chart on the bathroom door and they got a sticker each time they used the potty. If they used the potty 2 times a day the first week, they got to select a present to open. The 2nd week, it was 3 times, the 3rd week 5 times and by the fourth week they were pretty well done....pooping did take a little longer but if you can get them trying a couple of times a day it will help get them regular if they are a little hesitant to go. We also made a super big deal about taking them to the store to pick out their own big boy underpants to wear, I think picking them out made it seem like they were in control. The more you can get them to think something is their idea, the better!! Good luck!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Andrew '99, Tyler '01, Slade '11
    summer 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can introduce it...and maybe even let him see your DH use the potty.
    Getting him excited about it is a good idea, but it'll have to be HIS idea.
    I bought one of those cute little potties that makes music when something goes in it...the novelty wore off quickly, but every kid is different. They have cups in the front, too...so if they do pee while sitting, it goes into the pot.

One day I'm cooking in the kitchen and my DH is in the bathroom with DS1 on the little chair with the cup. All of a sudden, my DH starts screaming, "He's missing the cup!! He's missing the cup!!!" So I start screaming push it down into the cup!!! Yeah...too little too late. There was urine EVERYWHERE. lol. In the sink. In the garbage can. EVERY FREAKING WHERE.

If he shows an interest in your DH and wants to be just like him (my youngest was like that) then I'd get him a stool, so he can pee just like daddy. If not, you can teach him to sit...it's much less messy - as long as they push it downward.

The other thing you can do to get him excited about it, is buying some cute little cartoon character, or dinosaur or monkey underpants - whatever he's into.
    Proud mom of 3 sweet boys...
    and one BEAUTIFUL little girl!
    (Thanks Atomic!)

Guess my nub? LOL...

http://genderdreaming.com/forum/ultr...guess-3-a.html

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys!
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Winngrin View Post
    My DS1 and DS2 had a little potty, they were both out of diapers by 2.5 yrs. I used a basket on the counter in the bathroom and went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of little toy cars, action figures, etc and wrapped each one so it was a big deal to open them. I put a potty chart on the bathroom door and they got a sticker each time they used the potty. If they used the potty 2 times a day the first week, they got to select a present to open. The 2nd week, it was 3 times, the 3rd week 5 times and by the fourth week they were pretty well done....pooping did take a little longer but if you can get them trying a couple of times a day it will help get them regular if they are a little hesitant to go. We also made a super big deal about taking them to the store to pick out their own big boy underpants to wear, I think picking them out made it seem like they were in control. The more you can get them to think something is their idea, the better!! Good luck!
    WOW you are good, love the idea will try that with DD, and I actually have a question about all this, what do you guys do if they go to day care any tips? I have requested from day care many times to put her on the potty but it seems that DD does well at home during the weekend and on the weekdays we go back to square one arrghh
    2006 2010
    baby boy is here 06/26/2013 after 2 IVF cycles 1 FET

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast