PDA

View Full Version : Can I ask for ultrasound at 17 week appointment will insurance pay it

cambridgezowie
April 20th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I have had one ultrasound at 13 weeks fist one I am scheduled to go back for an appointment on my 17th week but I am not sure they are going to do an ultra sound could I ask for one and if so and they did would my insurance cover that or would it be out of my own pocket since it was not scheduled that way by them. just wandering this is my first child and i would like to be able to see it when iI go in For my 17th week one day check up thanks

girlmom
April 20th, 2012, 09:03 PM
normally i would say yes as i did it myself a few times. but, this time i had things come up so i had to reschedule my 20 week u/s. i went in at 24 weeks instead. boy am i glad i did. at 24 weeks the scan showed my cervix a little short. a 20 week scan wouldn't have shown anything abnormal. anyway here i sit in preterm labor getting lots of meds and steroids to keep me from delivering early. im very lucky i missed my 20 week scan!

atomic sagebrush
April 22nd, 2012, 11:28 AM
It depends on your individual insurance unfortunately and that can even change between pregnancies. I just had a major shock because between 2009 and 2012, our insurance has stopped paying for dr. ordered ultrasounds and we had already had TWO (ordered by my doctor but I didn't even think about that the insurance wouldn't cover them, they did before.) o.O Let's just say DH will not be seeing those bills. I'm just thankful it was this pg and not my last one because I had to have like 10 ultrasounds that time!!!

Anyway, I think you should call your ins. just to make sure so you don't get a shock like I did.

cambridgezowie
April 22nd, 2012, 11:53 AM
thanks i work for the state (state employee) i am switching doctors due to the one i was seing does not deliver at the hospital i want to deliver at but still will be with same firm thanks for the replies

atomic sagebrush
April 23rd, 2012, 05:52 PM
Ours is the exact same ins. company, exact same policy, they just changed the terms of the policy without our knowledge (I think my husband's employers were supposed to go over it with everyone but they didn't really go into exacting detail).

cambridgezowie
April 23rd, 2012, 08:03 PM
you have got to be kidding me I beter do some looking then thanks so much sorry bout your luck