PDA

View Full Version : Free β-hCG and PAPP-A levels and baby's gender

Zivic-Bubac
April 22nd, 2012, 02:51 PM
These studies are showing the link between free β-hCG and PAPP-A levels in mothers blood and baby's gender. Values tend to be higher in women pregnant with girls.
Average ( desired) value is 1 MoM.

Also NT ( nuchal translucency) and AFP can be expressed in MoMs.

If you're pregnant with a boy, those values tend to be a bit higher, but close to 1 if it's a normal, healthy pregnancy ( otherwise it could be an indicator for chromosomal issues). If you're carrying a girl, values tend to be a bit lower then 1 ( but close to 1 for the same reasons).

Those hormones are done from the blood ( 'double test') usually during the first trimester and they are interpreted with ultrasound pictures in order to show the probability that the baby might suffer chromosomal problems ( mostly trisomy 21, 18,15).

My ob/gyn orders double test only if the future mommy is older then 35 and/or u/s is indicating something might be wrong.

These studies were like the punch in the face, burying my last hope for a baby boy ( hey, I've almost convinced myself this baby can turn into a boy :sad: )

Here are the studies: The impact of fetal gender on first trimester nuchal translucency and maternal serum free β-hCG and PAPP-A MoM in normal and trisomy 21 pregnancies - Cowans - 2009 - Prenatal Diagnosis - Wiley Online Library (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pd.2246/abstract) ( The impact of fetal gender on first trimester nuchal translucency and maternal serum free β-hCG and PAPP-A MoM in normal and trisomy 21 pregnancies)
Gender impact on first trimester markers in Down syndrome screening - Larsen - 2002 - Prenatal Diagnosis - Wiley Online Library (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pd.493/abstract)

There are more studies on this subject and they are all showing the same, unfortunately :worry:

Here are my double test results at 12 weeks 6 days:

free beta hCG: 1.21 MoM
PAPP-A: 0.96MoM
NT: 0.96 MoM

Girl, eh? :sad:

Zivic-Bubac
April 22nd, 2012, 04:08 PM
Here's the link to the study about NT values The effect of fetal gender on nuchal translucency at 10–14 weeks of gestation - Lam - 2001 - Prenatal Diagnosis - Wiley Online Library (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pd.118/abstract)

NT for female fetuses was 0.98 MoM compared to 1.o3 MoM for male fetuses.

Zivic-Bubac
April 23rd, 2012, 08:48 AM
This is so unbelievebly exciting!!! I've found another study for the first trimester with actual values for free beta hCG and PAPP-A
http://www.fetalmedicine.com/fmf/2009_11.pdf

Free β-hCG 0.95 MoM for boys
1.09 MoM for girls

PAPP-A 0.96 MoM for boys
1.02 MoM for girls

Free β-hCG is 14.74% higher if the fetus is a girl ( considered significantly higher) and PAPP-a is 6.25% higher in girls.

Of to find AFP values for the 2nd trimester! http://yoursmiles.org/psmile/science/p0316.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/p-science.php)

Zivic-Bubac
April 23rd, 2012, 10:51 AM
And yes, there is a link between AFP levels ( α - fetoprotein) and baby's gender!

Reproductive factors and extreme l... [Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15548147)
Women who gave birth to a girl had AFP levels that were 5% lower than those of women who had a boy.

2nd-trimester maternal serum human chorionic gonadotropin and alpha-fetoprotein levels in male and female fetuses with Down syndrome. (http://downsyndrome.researchtoday.net/archive/2/4/71.htm)

I'll try to find some numbers.

Zivic-Bubac
April 23rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
Cut-off for AFP is 2-2.5 MoM

Role of fetal sex in amniotic fluid alphafetoprotein screening - Knippel - 2002 - Prenatal Diagnosis - Wiley Online Library (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pd.408/abstract)
This is the conclusion from this study: " Adjusting the cut-off MoM to 2.5 for male and to 2.0 for female fetuses halves the false positive rate from 3.4 to 1.7% without affecting the detection rate of 95%."

Zivic-Bubac
May 28th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I can't believe no one else finds this interesting? :confused:

TTC5
May 28th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Hey Z I know nothing about all this, sorry!!

Zivic-Bubac
May 28th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Hey Z I know nothing about all this, sorry!!
Oh, don't be sweeti! :)
I was so thrilled when I've found it. I'd be even more so if I was in the boy range :rofl:

If we go for no.4 :pray: my ob/gyn will have me do double and triple tests just like that bcos I'm going to be closer to grandma age lol! So I'll know very, very soon that I ( most likely) failed again.

nuthinbutpink
May 28th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I have read this before but I only had one NT scan and that was with DS. I never got any of my levels from the 16 week scan.

Hobbermittens
May 28th, 2012, 12:37 PM
All I know is, my AFP tests were very positive for DD2 (1:19) and she was (obviously) a girl, and has no downs syndrome. The same test with my son was positive too, but just barely--1:240. He was healthy as well. This time around I got a result of 1:200, not sure if it was the same exact test--I think they said it was the quad screen? Not sure. DD1 all I know is I "passed" but not sure what the result was. I was only 30 then, so that may have helped.

Not sure of the exact levels of things and don't know what MoM is.

Zivic-Bubac
May 28th, 2012, 12:53 PM
MoM is multiples of median Multiple of the median - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_of_the_median)

Your AFP results should be expressed in MoMs in order to compare them with AFP cut-offs.

atomic sagebrush
May 28th, 2012, 01:41 PM
thank you for sharing this Z! Very interesting and it's nice to have the links for all of us to see. :)

Hobbermittens
May 28th, 2012, 02:26 PM
MoM is multiples of median Multiple of the median - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_of_the_median)

Your AFP results should be expressed in MoMs in order to compare them with AFP cut-offs.

Would that have been on the test results? I can ask my Dr. when I am in there next.

nestof3
May 29th, 2012, 10:17 AM
** just wanted to update, I'm having a girl

So I finally got my results from my 12week, 3 day blood work... what do you think??

HCG MOM - 1.3
PappA MOM - .97
NT MOM - .84

Zivic-Bubac
May 30th, 2012, 02:37 AM
So I finally got my results from my 12week, 3 day blood work... what do you think??

HCG MOM - 1.3
PappA MOM - .97
NT MOM - .84This looks like a :DD:

mykiwibaby
November 6th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Just wanted to BUMP this up.

I got my NT bloods back also.
My free Beta HCG - 0.53
PAPP-A MoM - 0.88

If this theory is correct i will be having a boy.

Will keep you all updated

Bimby
November 13th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I will hopefully get a copy of mine on Tuesday but the sonographer said mine were all around the 1 mark - she thought girl from my nub so we'll see. My DS2 had abnormally high hcg levels though so that doesnt really relate to this?? It is interesting though

mykiwibaby
November 13th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Dont forget to post you numbers Bimby.

I think the rule of thumb is, if both your numbers are over 1.0 MoM than its more likely a girl, if both your numbers are under 1.0 MoM than more likely a boy - If you have 1 number over 1.0, and the other under 1.0, then its 50/50.
Hope this makes sense?

Bimby
November 13th, 2012, 08:29 PM
For sure I will! Maybe DS2 was a 50/50 one - From what I saw at a glance at my scan my levels were both over 1 so hoping so, as that will make me even more confident that I have my little princess :) The nub was pretty girly but Im still not convinced

Turning the page
November 19th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Just got my numbers today:
hcg MOM: 1.10
PAPP-A MOM: 1.08
NT MOM: 1.09

For reference, my DS1 values at week 16 were:
hcg MOM: 1.0
PAPP-A: 0.96
didn't do NT for him

So, we shall see! Not a big enough difference in my book to run out and buy pink, but still interesting nonetheless. I'll update in about 6 weeks! :)

Zivic-Bubac
November 20th, 2012, 03:59 PM

I'd say :DD: Keep us updated!

Jadis
November 20th, 2012, 04:42 PM
This is so fascinating. I'll update around Christmas when I have my NT scan and 12 week blood work!

Cinss
November 22nd, 2012, 12:41 AM
I found my NT blood work report here are my numbers -

Free B-hCG - 0.4881 MoM
PAPP-A - 0.5886 MoM

Finding out sex on the 4th Dec

mrshonyez
November 22nd, 2012, 12:52 AM
Ugh I had all my medical records for transferring back to my clinic after being out of town, and I looked at all these numbers but had no clue what they meant! And I already turned it all in :( oh well, I'm pretty positive I'll get my boy confirmation next Friday, but it would've given me more to obsess over lol. Very interesting though!!

Lassie1982
November 22nd, 2012, 01:26 AM
Zivic I find this very interesting!
But am limited to a rubbish Internet connection on my phone so having trouble reading and getting my head around all the studies.
Any chance you can tell me what my results would indicate? I'm thinking one indicated girl, the other boy??

Free hcg 0.56
Pappa-a is 1.77

I didn't get a NT in mom, just cm, which was 1.7mm

Thanks heaps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lassie1982
November 22nd, 2012, 01:55 AM
This is so unbelievebly exciting!!! I've found another study for the first trimester with actual values for free beta hCG and PAPP-A
http://www.fetalmedicine.com/fmf/2009_11.pdf

Free β-hCG 0.95 MoM for boys
1.09 MoM for girls

PAPP-A 0.96 MoM for boys
1.02 MoM for girls

Free β-hCG is 14.74% higher if the fetus is a girl ( considered significantly higher) and PAPP-a is 6.25% higher in girls.

Of to find AFP values for the 2nd trimester! http://yoursmiles.org/psmile/science/p0316.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/p-science.php)

Hey cinns, based on this your baking a boy :)

Cinss
November 22nd, 2012, 02:11 AM
Thats what i thought, my numbers seem to be extreemly low, im trying not to worry about that?!?

And your numbers seem to go 50/50.

Lassie1982
November 22nd, 2012, 03:36 AM
Thats what i thought, my numbers seem to be extreemly low, im trying not to worry about that?!?

And your numbers seem to go 50/50.

I wouldn't have thought the lowness of the numbers is anything to worry about, my understanding of them for what the dr said is that the higher then numbers the higher the risk ratio, same as the NT measurement - the thicker it is the more likely to have issues.
So I don't think that they can be 'too' low :)

Yeh mine seem to o 50/50! I wonder if one of the, carries more weight then the other.
Ahhh well only 8 days and 13 hours till our gender scan LOL

Hope zivic pops in here to share her knowledge on our stats

Turning the page
November 22nd, 2012, 06:48 AM
Cinss--totally boy numbers! I feel even more confident you're baking blue in there. :)
Lassie--yours seem perfectly split down the middle--isn't that maddening? Maybe Zivic will lend us her opinion. ;)

Bimby
November 22nd, 2012, 10:09 PM
Got my numbers and Im excited!!!!! I hope it means I have my little princess - I guess the main thing is my risk for all trisomy's is considered low so Im definitely stoked with that!

Ok so my numbers:

Free BHCG i s 1.269 MoM and my PAPP-A is 1.321 MoM - NT measurment was 1.6.

Is this Girl?????? x

Bimby
November 22nd, 2012, 10:17 PM
The NT measurment wasnt the MoM measurment.. That was just the actual measurement at the scan so not sure it counts??

Cinss
November 22nd, 2012, 10:31 PM
Looks promising Bimby (i think) ..... Zivic heeeeeeelp :)

Lassie1982
November 22nd, 2012, 10:55 PM
The NT measurment wasnt the MoM measurment.. That was just the actual measurement at the scan so not sure it counts??

I didn't get a MoM for the NT either, just the actual measurement if 1.7cm.

Maybe it's supposed to be a measurement and not a MoM?

Hey cinns did you gets MoM for the NT?

Cinss
November 23rd, 2012, 12:14 AM
No i just got an NT measurement too it was 1.6mm

Bimby
November 23rd, 2012, 12:31 AM
I found a website that calculates your percentage for NF measurment.

Crown Rump Length and Nuchal Translucency Calculator (http://www.perinatology.com/calculators/Crown%20Rump%20and%20Nuchal%20Translucency.htm)

Mine was below the 50 percentile which would further indicate Pink I imagine?? It said I was 36 percentile. So smaller then average for measurement of baby - Hope that helps x

Lassie1982
November 23rd, 2012, 03:49 AM
I found a website that calculates your percentage for NF measurment.

Crown Rump Length and Nuchal Translucency Calculator (http://www.perinatology.com/calculators/Crown%20Rump%20and%20Nuchal%20Translucency.htm)

Mine was below the 50 percentile which would further indicate Pink I imagine?? It said I was 36 percentile. So smaller then average for measurement of baby - Hope that helps x

Ooo can someone calculate mine pls (still no Internet and it doesn't load properly on my phone)
Please please :)
Mine was 1.70cm

Lassie1982
November 23rd, 2012, 04:10 AM
All good I got it :)
I'm in 52 percentile. So that's boy territory?
And I'm a scatter brain, it was 1.7mm not cm .... Baby brain!!

Bimby
November 23rd, 2012, 04:29 AM
Youre probably pretty close either way I reckon..

Bimby
November 23rd, 2012, 04:31 AM
Oh and I found there were a few people on Ingender whom this was wrong for so I think it's one of those things that can go either way, still hard not to obsess though :)

Cinss
November 23rd, 2012, 04:40 AM
mine says - Your measured NT value is 48 percentile

Lassie1982
November 23rd, 2012, 11:14 PM
I'm just bumping this in the hope that zivic see's it :)

Bimby
November 25th, 2012, 12:04 AM
I'll bump again just in case :)

glory
November 25th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Well mine are so weird that we had to repeat the bloods (and they were correct), but my

Free HcG Mom was 7.8 and PappA was 3.8

I am having a girl :)

Bimby
November 26th, 2012, 07:22 AM
7.8 wowza!!! Are you feeling really sick this time glory? You have some serious hcg going on there lol Congrats on your little princess :)

glory
November 26th, 2012, 08:44 AM
I have been sick with all my pregnancies but I would say this has been second worse. I love my sea bands! That's exactly what the sonographer asked about being sick. I have definately been a lot tireder but then again I am older.

Thanks for your well wishes, I am still in shock :)

Zivic-Bubac
November 26th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Free hcg 0.56
Pappa-a is 1.77

I didn't get a NT in mom, just cm, which was 1.7mm
I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. I don't know how to convert mm to MoM, I'm googling it, but nothing so far.

This looks like a boy to me. I hope I'm wrong, and this is not 100%. Please keep me posted and prove me wrong :)

Zivic-Bubac
November 26th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Ok so my numbers:

Free BHCG i s 1.269 MoM and my PAPP-A is 1.321 MoM - NT measurment was 1.6.

Is this Girl?????? x Yep, this is a GIRL!!!!

The Anchor
November 26th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Hey, just stumbled upon this thread, and had to say, NICE WORK Zivic, looks like you've done your research! I'll be popping back in here to get my results analyzed (that is, if I ever get that BFP!)

Bimby
November 26th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Oooooh I sure hope so Zivic, Thanks for looking :) x

Glory, I imagine you would be tired and unwell you poor thing although Im sure knowing its a little girl helps you deal with it all :)

hotdogz&boyz
November 27th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I wish I knew my values. I know my measurements for the NT were in the lower percentiles (23-32 depending on which of the three measurements I use)...but I think my boys were even lower, if I remember properly. I don't need anything else to obsess about though :)

jark22
November 27th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Free hcg was 0.64
PAPPA was 1.3

This is boy range isn't it :(

jark22
November 27th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Looks like you can't put too much stock into this theory. Check out this thread.....

http://www.in-gender.com/cs/forums/t/127188.aspx?PageIndex=10

Lassie1982
November 28th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Free hcg was 0.64
PAPPA was 1.3

This is boy range isn't it :(

According the info in this thread yes :(
I've virtually got zero hope of a girl left anyway..... Hurry up Saturday.
I'm going to read that thread you just linked.

Lassie1982
November 28th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Jark - that thread Looks promising!

I tried to do a tally based on those that announced an outcome in that thread, and by making a guess on the outcome based on the info in their tickers.
Out of a total of 27, I noted 15 for whom the theory was INCORRECT and 12 for who, it was correct.
Allowing for some errors it still only gives an accuracy rate of around 50/50 so maybe this one isn't something to place too much hope on.

Turning the page
December 15th, 2012, 02:22 PM

Just wanted to update you, Zivic...you were right, it's a GIRL! :)

Cinss
December 16th, 2012, 03:41 PM
This theory was right for me too, its a boy!

Lassie1982
December 17th, 2012, 01:18 PM
It was right for me too :(

Shellbelle
December 17th, 2012, 01:19 PM
It was wrong for me -- this one's a boy.

ber_waves_of
January 22nd, 2013, 03:30 PM
bumping this so I can find it tomorrow when I get my NT results. :)

ber_waves_of
January 23rd, 2013, 05:11 PM
I got my results. Can anyone help me interpret them? :)

My free beta HCG was 1.18 MoM. PAPP-A was 1.97 MoM. NT was +.58 Delta (not sure what that means exactly? Is Delta the same as MoM?)

jark22
January 23rd, 2013, 06:51 PM
I got my results. Can anyone help me interpret them? :)

My free beta HCG was 1.18 MoM. PAPP-A was 1.97 MoM. NT was +.58 Delta (not sure what that means exactly? Is Delta the same as MoM?)

This should be a girl!

ber_waves_of
January 23rd, 2013, 08:04 PM
Do you think it matters that my HCG level with my last pregnancy was higher (2.13)? Kinda makes me think if this was another girl it would be that high again? But my NT scan with her was at 14 weeks and this time I was 12.5 weeks, do you think that would have anything to do with the discrepancy in numbers? Does HCG increase if you are farther along? Or does it just vary with each pregnancy? Is a level of 1.18 high enough to indicate girl this time?

jark22
January 23rd, 2013, 08:32 PM
I'm not sure. After looking through the link I posted- I don't put much into this theory anyway. Here it is:

http://www.in-gender.com/cs/forums/t/127188.aspx?PageIndex=10

ber_waves_of
January 23rd, 2013, 09:12 PM
Yeah, definitely doesn't seem to hold true for everyone. It was true for my last pregnancy though. :)

meeks32
January 31st, 2013, 03:02 AM
What do I ASK for and when to get these numbers? We always did the NT scan but only ever got a call saying it was 'safe' not with numbers. I'm in Oz if anyone else can answer from here...?

glory
January 31st, 2013, 03:07 AM
I am in Aus too and they have the numbers for b-HCG and Papp-A in units of MOM, that is what you have to ask for, what is your MOM forb-HCG and Papp-A.

meeks32
January 31st, 2013, 04:59 AM
I am in Aus too and they have the numbers for b-HCG and Papp-A in units of MOM, that is what you have to ask for, what is your MOM forb-HCG and Papp-A.

But isn't that a odd question that will make them think I'm loony? Do I ask my ultrasound clinic after the scan or my ob before it to make sure he asks them to check?

Cinss
January 31st, 2013, 07:03 AM
But isn't that a odd question that will make them think I'm loony? Do I ask my ultrasound clinic after the scan or my ob before it to make sure he asks them to check?
I am pretty sure it is in the report the ultrasound tech sends to your doctor after they have done the scan, you just need to ask for a copy for yourself, you are not a loony you are this baby's mother. Mine (extra copy) was just slipped in with the images that i was given.

If they dont want to give it to you for whatever reason you can just ask your doctor to see it or give you a copy.

glory
January 31st, 2013, 07:10 AM
I don't think it is an odd question at all, the MOM indicates a lot of things, like placenta issues, you could just say you want to see what your range is.

A 1.0 means that your values are exactly the average they should be for that date. A MOM of 2.0 means you have double the amount an average pregnant woman would have for that date.

Cinss makes a good point though, I found out at my ultrasound, but my OB gave me a copy at my next appt.

Sway&Wish
January 31st, 2013, 01:52 PM
I always asked for a copy of the results, and never knew the numbers could indicate the baby's sex (so, people are asking for their records for other reasons - I don't think it will be all that unusual of a request)!

That said, if you look at the actual studies, these numbers cannot say anything definitive about the sex of the baby (it is just that on average female babies prompt higher levels than males)

meeks32
January 31st, 2013, 03:54 PM
Is free hcg the same as the hcg they test you for to confirm pregnancy?

daydrmbelievr
February 6th, 2013, 07:09 PM
I got my results today and I'm confused:
1.38 PAPP-A
.82 MOM

Any ideas? :nails:

Falling2Grace
February 13th, 2013, 08:04 PM
I'm so excited to learn about this!!! Anything to curb my curiosity for the next 7 weeks. I get my testing next week. Will I leave knowing these numbers? The place I am going to is at te hospital. I get a genetic counselor followed by U/S followed by blood tests...this is so exciting!

jark22
February 13th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I got my results today and I'm confused:
1.38 PAPP-A
.82 MOM

Any ideas? :nails:

If the .82 is for HCG- then I think maybe boy....

hij101
February 20th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Can anyone help with my numbers for gender for first trimester screen?

Nuchal measurement : 1.3 mm ; 0.93 MoM
PAPP-A level : 14.20 miu/mL ; 4.21 MoM
Total hCG level : 89.3 iu/mL ; 1.52 MoM

Any clues as to gender????????

Falling2Grace
February 21st, 2013, 07:11 PM
Im back from my NT scan/bloodwork. I dont have most of the values back yet, but just thought i would drop a line and see if this indicates boy or girl, and if so, which one? I'll update in about 5 days when i get the rest of the results.

NT = 1.1mm
CRL = 61mm

Im not really sure what CRL is. I read this entire thread and didn't see anyone allude to it. Im pretty sure it has to do with the babys measurement bc on the paper it had CRL = 61mm and right next to it, it said 12+4 (which is how far along i am)

EDIT**ive been reading and apparently mm does not equal MoM. A post i read online said that 1.1mm was about .99 MoM ...oh getting excited (if thats right of course...im really trying not to be though)

atomic sagebrush
February 21st, 2013, 07:34 PM
i think its crown rump length - baby's height from head to tush

but that feels like one of those things i may be totally wrong on lol

Falling2Grace
February 21st, 2013, 07:43 PM
yeah, thats what im thinking too :D

jark22
February 21st, 2013, 11:58 PM
Can anyone help with my numbers for gender for first trimester screen?

Nuchal measurement : 1.3 mm ; 0.93 MoM
PAPP-A level : 14.20 miu/mL ; 4.21 MoM
Total hCG level : 89.3 iu/mL ; 1.52 MoM

Any clues as to gender????????

Holy moly- that PAPPA level is high! I'd say you have a girl...

jark22
February 21st, 2013, 11:59 PM
Im back from my NT scan/bloodwork. I dont have most of the values back yet, but just thought i would drop a line and see if this indicates boy or girl, and if so, which one? I'll update in about 5 days when i get the rest of the results.

NT = 1.1mm
CRL = 61mm

Im not really sure what CRL is. I read this entire thread and didn't see anyone allude to it. Im pretty sure it has to do with the babys measurement bc on the paper it had CRL = 61mm and right next to it, it said 12+4 (which is how far along i am)

EDIT**ive been reading and apparently mm does not equal MoM. A post i read online said that 1.1mm was about .99 MoM ...oh getting excited (if thats right of course...im really trying not to be though)

You have to have your PAPP-A MoM and your HCG MoM in order to take a guess.....

Girlsway
February 24th, 2013, 04:46 AM
I got this values, what do you think? I don't know why PAPP-A is so high? Docs said everything was okay.

Free beta hCG 0.9997
PAPP-A 2.0907
NT 1.8

Smile
February 24th, 2013, 12:54 PM
any guess for our baby)this is results for triple trisomy test Afp-46,6Iu/ml, uE3-0.49 and HGC-27860 mlU/ml

Smile
February 24th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Girlsway,i think a girl,because your nt is higher 0.11

divi08
February 25th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Hello ladies,

Mine NT Blood test count-
HCG MoM - 0.58
Papp-A - 0.48
NT - 1.6 mm

Any guesses on our baby?

jark22
February 26th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Hello ladies,

Mine NT Blood test count-
HCG MoM - 0.58
Papp-A - 0.48
NT - 1.6 mm

Any guesses on our baby?

Probably boy.....

BunnyGirl19
February 27th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Very interesting read! I just got mine back. Any thoughts/guesses?

HCG - 2.42 MoM
PAPPA-A - 4.47 MoM
NT - -0.43 delta

BunnyGirl19
February 27th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Very interesting read! I just got mine back. Any thoughts/guesses?

HCG - 2.42 MoM
PAPPA-A - 4.47 MoM
NT - -0.43 delta

glory
February 27th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Bunny girl, I think girl?

BunnyGirl19
February 27th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I wasn't sure what to make of it since I seem to be at the extremes for results. And depending on where I've posted it, my nub shot gets nearly all girl votes, nearly all boy votes, or 50/50 and it's all the same picture. I haven't posted it on here though. I'm just hoping for more clues at gender. I've had two failed "perfect" pink sways already and this was a surprise baby so no swaying or anything.

BunnyGirl19
March 15th, 2013, 02:53 AM
So, I looked up my past results on the first trimester screen and the study has been accurate for me so far with the babies I've carried long enough to have the tests done.

DD angel at 20 weeks (girl range)
HCG: 1.9 MoM
PAPP-A: 3.3 MoM

DS1 (firmly in the boy range)
HCG: .61 MoM (34th percentile)
PAPP-A: .68 MoM (37th percentile)

DS2 (borderline, lean boy)
HCG: .93 MoM (48th percentile)
PAPP-A: 1.04 MoM (51st percentile)

Peanut (firmly girl range, sex undetermined as of yet)
HCG: 2.42 MoM (95th percentile)
PAPP-A: 4.47 MoM (99th percentile)
NT: 1.1 mm, -.43 delta (25th percentile)

babyonboard
April 2nd, 2013, 01:59 PM
I had mine done at 12weeks and it reads like this
maternal serumfree beta hcg53.08iu/l 1.45mom
mataernal serum papp-A 1.130iu/l 0.40 mom
any ideas ladies x

motherofboys
April 14th, 2013, 11:15 AM
My numbers are 0.60 HCG MOM and 1.27 PAPP-A MOM.
So could go either way?
Nub has had about 98% boy votes.

motherofboys
April 14th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Oh I'm going to check my NT too I didn't do that

OK so can't seem to find it on my piece of paper is it usually printed right under the hcg and papp-a? Or do they not include that bit in the UK?

motherofboys
April 14th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Ok I found it and I used the link posted on page 4 or 5. I have it in mm, its 1.70 which makes it 48% not sure what that means in MOM though

motherofboys
April 14th, 2013, 01:01 PM
So I found this. it help convert the mm to mom

motherofboys
April 14th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Stupid me forgot to add the link

http://sts.bwk.tue.nl/marijatrcka/DS_papers/Calculating%20correct%20Down%E2%80%99s%20syndrome% 20risks.pdf

sorry to have posted so many times lol

Still confused though lol

BunnyGirl19
April 14th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Peanut was confirmed girl, so this theory has held true for all the babies I had testing done on.

jark22
April 14th, 2013, 06:56 PM
So could go either way?

I would say this is a boy. Your numbers are also super close to mine. My HCG was 0.64 and PAPP-A was 1.3. I'm having my third boy

BunnyGirl19
April 14th, 2013, 06:57 PM
I had mine done at 12weeks and it reads like this
maternal serumfree beta hcg53.08iu/l 1.45mom
mataernal serum papp-A 1.130iu/l 0.40 mom
any ideas ladies x

Your numbers are both in the girl range.

BunnyGirl19
April 14th, 2013, 06:59 PM
So could go either way?

HCG is very boy, PAPP-A leans girl, NT is in the range that could go either way. I haven't seen your nub to venture a guess.

Mum to three girls
April 15th, 2013, 05:08 AM
It wasn't right for me. My HCG was 2.5 MoM and my PAPP-A was 0.7. They were such weird bloods I had one of those blood tests where they look for trisomies and I am having a healthy boy.

Mum to three girls
April 15th, 2013, 05:09 AM
I should add that my HCG was huge from the onset and I haven't had even a tiny bit of sickness - completely different to the previous three.

BunnyGirl19
April 18th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Did you have any bleeding early on? That is known to cause elevated hCG levels and often accounts for women getting a high risk result on the screen with a chromosomally normal baby.

Also, the study isn't specifically wrong for you. BOTH numbers either elevated or low are needed for determining gender by this method. Of course there are going to be those that don't fit the pattern. You had a very girl HCG level but a very boy PAPP-A level. Because of that, it could go either way. I don't know what your NT measurement was.

Mum to three girls
April 18th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Did you have any bleeding early on? That is known to cause elevated hCG levels and often accounts for women getting a high risk result on the screen with a chromosomally normal baby.

Also, the study isn't specifically wrong for you. BOTH numbers either elevated or low are needed for determining gender by this method. Of course there are going to be those that don't fit the pattern. You had a very girl HCG level but a very boy PAPP-A level. Because of that, it could go either way. I don't know what your NT measurement was.

No, no bleeding. I've been completely well. My NT measurement was lower than average though. From memory my HCG was higher than ave but not as high with my girl pregnancies. My PAPP-A has always been a bit lower than average. The combination of high HCG and low PAPP-A put my Down Syndrome risk from the bloods alone at 1:30. The overall risk was much lower because of the normal scan but that's why I got nervous and had the blood test done.

glory
April 18th, 2013, 06:53 AM

My HCG MOM was almost 8 times higher than average but the Papp A was also 4 times higher, so I had a very low risk of any abnormalities.

But I did have a lot of bleeding in the first trimester, how does that affect the HCG? No one ever mentioned that to me. Would it increase the Papp A at the same time?

BunnyGirl19
April 19th, 2013, 12:17 PM
I work in perinatology and when there is bleeding in pregnancy hCG levels typically elevate because the placenta is trying to hold onto the pregnancy. It's not really understood why it goes up, but we tend to think it's the body trying to correct a problem and stop the bleeding. We haven't seen that it has a direct effect in PAPP-A levels though. Most commonly in women with bleeding we see high HCG and a normal level of PAPP-A (meaning not a super low one in the risk zone) and as a result this triggers a high risk on the Down's screening since high HCG and low PAPP-A are soft markers for Down's. Another thing with the hormone levels we don't know a reason for is that women who have had IVF have much, much higher levels of both hormones than a natural pregnancy, so this study wouldn't fit a pattern for determining gender in that instance.

divi08
May 1st, 2013, 01:48 AM
Probably boy.....

This theory is right for me..It's a BOY! Jark22 - you were right..
Thank you!!!

NERI
May 25th, 2013, 11:04 AM
just got my results back,any gender clues?11481thanks

NERI
May 27th, 2013, 06:28 AM
anyone?

NeedBlessings
June 8th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Hi all help me with my readings
Mine read as Free beta HCG - 0.44 MoM
PAPP-A- 0.72 MoM, NT MoM 0.97 and CRL 64 mm
its boy or girl?

6bluewant1pink
June 8th, 2013, 05:12 PM
My numbers:
Papp-A 1.31
HCG MoM-1.28
NT-1.3

Found out a day before 16 weeks, It's a boy for me.

NeedBlessings
June 15th, 2013, 12:13 AM
pls help me,
its boy or girl?

Joanne5705
June 23rd, 2013, 10:59 PM
Hi ladies - just found my NT results

Free Beta HCG: 99 IU/L (2.7072 MoM)
PAPP-A: 3.1 IU/L (1.5926 MoM)
NT: 1.39

Does this indicate boy or girl please? Having a gender scan on Friday at 17 weeks. Can't wait!

Thanks for your help x

NERI
June 24th, 2013, 04:08 AM
pls help me,
its boy or girl?

boy i think

NERI
June 24th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Hi ladies - just found my NT results

Free Beta HCG: 99 IU/L (2.7072 MoM)
PAPP-A: 3.1 IU/L (1.5926 MoM)
NT: 1.39

Does this indicate boy or girl please? Having a gender scan on Friday at 17 weeks. Can't wait!

Thanks for your help x

girl i think

hmize1123
June 25th, 2013, 05:38 PM
I read the study, but still need some help to determine.

NT 1.1/ 0.82 MOM
HCG 62.6/ 0.99 MOM
PAPP-A 446.6/ 0.87 MOM
DIA 100.5/ 0.45

Any ideas? Boy? I can't tell.......

NERI
June 26th, 2013, 11:17 AM
boy i think

hmize1123
June 26th, 2013, 11:14 PM
boy i think

that's what I was thinking too based on what I read. Was hoping for a girl this time around, but blessed to have either.

redroses
August 10th, 2013, 11:59 AM
My numbers are;

Free Beta HCG 2.08 MoM
PAPP-A 1.03 MoM

Any clues? xx

NERI
August 20th, 2013, 02:46 AM
girl i think redroses,good luck

redroses
August 22nd, 2013, 02:57 PM
girl i think redroses,good luck

Thank you. Girl was confirmed at 16 week scan last weekend. I think that there is something in this theory!

NERI
August 23rd, 2013, 03:19 AM
weyy,congrats,so happy for you.

onthepond
August 30th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Can anyone guess for me?

Free Beta HCG (MoM) 1.09
PAPP-A (MoM) 0.78

NERI
August 31st, 2013, 03:11 AM
i think i am the only one thats guessing onthepond.boy i think.good luck

fab4
September 3rd, 2013, 12:26 PM
Guesses for me please?
NT 1.00 MoM
PAPP-A 1.24 MoM
AFP 1.02 MoM
HCG .69 MoM

fab4
September 3rd, 2013, 12:32 PM
Guesses for me please?
NT 1.00 MoM
PAPP-A 1.24 MoM
AFP 1.02 MoM
HCG .69 MoM

Whoops! Wrong baby! That one was my first... girl there.

Here's the current one:
NT .97 MoM
PAPP-A 1.08 MoM
HCG 1.15 MoM

NERI
September 11th, 2013, 03:25 AM
hmm,i would have said your first would have been a boy fab4 because of low numbers.the numbers does look similar but hcg is lower now,so ill say a boy,but its a hard one,and i am no expert,so dont count my word for it,good luck,let me know.

abhra
September 16th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Can anyone guess for me?

Free Beta HCG (MoM) 0.58
PAPP-A (MoM) 1.64
NT (MoM) .65

jark22
October 5th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Abhra- I'd say boy

OnlyBlue
November 1st, 2013, 05:03 PM
Guesses please if there is still anyone around guessing.

hcg 1.2
papp .96
nt 0. 86

Mum3blue
November 4th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Hello - I just had a blood test done to confirm pregnancy and was to I am between 6 and 7 weeks ... Can I obtain these values from the hcg blood work or is this done specifically for the NT scan and subsequent results?

jark22
November 21st, 2013, 10:19 AM
Only Blue- I'm going to say girl....

Leids
November 22nd, 2013, 11:02 AM
Hi all! This thread has helped me understand levels a good amount more. Anyone have any idea of what I'm having?

All MoM levels -
NT: 1.08
Papp-A: 0.65
HCG: 0.75

The papp-a result seems low to me which is kind of concerning. My risk came back as <1 in 10,000 for both down syndrome and trisomy 18 though.

atomic sagebrush
November 22nd, 2013, 03:31 PM
cool thread, thanks to all those keeping it going!!

do want to reiterate that this is NOT a guarantee!!!

jark22
November 22nd, 2013, 06:51 PM
Leids- I think boy

Leids
November 22nd, 2013, 08:41 PM
Leids- I think boy

Thank you. :)

It is really neat. I would be happy either way and I already have a little boy. I never expect anything to turn out to be accurate but it's fun to see what was and wasn't right.

mandie*wantsaboy*
December 17th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Hi all, praying the results are wrong for me as I would love a little boy and 90% of my nub guesses have been boy bit my figures look very Girly?

hCGb 1.70 MoM
PAPP-A 2.21 MoM
NT. 1.13 MoM

GreaseMonkey
December 17th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Interesting how I have found this just as a few friends and I were talking lol I will be having my 12 week u/s in London, once I figure out how far along I am and will be checking back in with the results. I already know what this baby is but it will be fun :)

Mum3blue
December 17th, 2013, 10:14 PM
My pregnancy brain can't make heads or tails of these numbers, and guesses would be terrific as I am turning myself inside out right now.

Free beta hCG 1.61
PAPP-A. 1.10

Haiaa
January 3rd, 2014, 11:44 AM
Hello
could you please help me
PAPP-A 2.16 MoM
Free Beta HCG 0.66 Mom
NT 0.97 MoM
Is it boy or girl?

mandie*wantsaboy*
January 14th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Well my numbers were definitely looking very girly but in my case they were wrong as I'm having a little boy :)

atomic sagebrush
January 14th, 2014, 01:29 PM
thanks for updating Mandie!

orentes_s
March 9th, 2014, 12:31 PM
my t-hcg mom is 0.93 and PAPP-A mom is 1.68.What's my babies gender dearss.

orentes_s
March 9th, 2014, 03:59 PM
guess plzzzzz

orentes_s
March 11th, 2014, 07:07 AM
can u guess dearss plzz

Mulberry Smurf
March 11th, 2014, 07:17 AM
Girly numbers I believe xx

orentes_s
March 11th, 2014, 08:00 AM
ohh really .but i heard that hcg mom is lowe than 1 it.means boy.is it true?

orentes_s
March 11th, 2014, 10:14 AM
???

atomic sagebrush
March 13th, 2014, 12:52 PM
this thread is super old and the people who knew about it and were guessing have moved on to other stuff. So you need to read the info and use it to make your own guess. None of us are experts in these numbers and what they mean, everyone was just making guesses.

orentes_s
March 19th, 2014, 08:31 AM
dearss today i learned that it is a boyy

atomic sagebrush
March 22nd, 2014, 01:10 PM
Congrats! thanks for updating.

Mrsandmama
April 1st, 2014, 02:33 PM
I realize this is an old thread but curious to know if anyone can give me a gender guess based on my numbers? This is from 11 weeks 5 days:

bHCG: .98 MoM

Papp-a: 1.19 MoM

NT MoM: .88

Any ideas?

atomic sagebrush
April 2nd, 2014, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure that the people who were into this are still hanging out here and guessing.

Mrsandmama
April 3rd, 2014, 01:52 PM
:( Oo well it was worth a shot! :)

daydrmbelievr
June 1st, 2014, 09:13 PM
Boy!

Tardisblue
December 2nd, 2014, 07:35 PM
Cool thread some very interesting reading. Based on the numbers it is another clue pointing towards a girl!
My numbers
Bhcg 3.18 mom
Papp-a 1.09 mom

pinkorblue23
February 21st, 2015, 04:19 AM
What are my results? Hcg mom 13.3 weeks for the genetic testing was 0.96 papp a was 0.83 there was another number, it went 0.96 Than 0.83 than 0.86. Those were all the numbers, what is this indicating? It's my third baby and my last...i need to know. I am now 15 weeks. It's killing me not knowing.

atomic sagebrush
February 21st, 2015, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure the people who were guessing in this thread still hang out here but hoping some people chime in to help.

Can you get an ultrasound scan or do you have one from 12-13 weeks you can post for us?? We may be able to help.

pinkorblue23
February 21st, 2015, 01:21 PM

atomic sagebrush
February 22nd, 2015, 03:58 PM
Is this view from the side?? I think it's of the back of baby's head and it has to be a profile shot.

monro84
February 27th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Can anyone help me with my hcg numbers? I was almost 16 weeks when the blood was taken and they came back as MoM .11 and hgc 4514. I know this thread is about gender but I was wondering if anyone can give me insight from it being that low. I know hcg goes down alot ater 14 wks but this is like a 6 wk pregnancy rate and from what I can tell the lowest normal MoM hcg is .4

They did uE3 and AFP too ( i have those numbers if needed too) but no PAPP-A.

atomic sagebrush
March 2nd, 2015, 01:49 PM
If your doctor said it's normal, please just accept that. They look at other markers and not just one thing in isolation. I know it's scary when something doesn't seem to be quite right but these tests are really newish and they really simply don't know what any of it means and there's nothing they can do about it anyway, 99 times out of 100

monro84
March 3rd, 2015, 03:50 PM
Thanks!! I did talk with my clinic and they said that everything was fine with it. I also found out my son was .52 MoM hcg but don't know other numbers with him. I was just worried cause I have read that very low MoM hcg numbers can indicate placental problems and possible preterm labor and birth due to placenta not being good. The best way to test the placenta is uterine artery Doppler and I am going to push to get that done. I am not so much worried about the down or trisomy any more since everything else was fine. I know that sometimes you have to be your own advocate on issues and push the issue sometimes to get things done if not I would have had 2 or 3 more mc before I got testing done to find out I had a partial septate. Also maybe someone in the future will run across this and it will help them out.

Princess Mom
June 7th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Is this really accurate for gender?
I just look up my dd second trim test her hcg was 0.32 this time for first Tim 0.28 no clue what that means 31649

atomic sagebrush
June 8th, 2016, 02:17 PM
I'm honestly no help, is there anyone else out there who can help?

It is not JUST one number in isolation. Like Danny De Vito and Janet Reno there can be short men and tall women but the average is that men are taller than women. But if ALL the numbers are adding up one way, HCG, pappa, and afp it may SOMEWHAT predict a baby's gender.

Princess Mom
June 8th, 2016, 04:13 PM
I was researching last night and just found mixed reviews and I honestly don't understand it. High free hcg and high pappa in first and second trim mean girl. That didn't hold true for me for my dd or my ds.
If it is true that this baby I guess is a boy, since my numbers are low? I think I have no clue. But some women had low numbers and had girls vice versa.

Nurse said my numbers are normal

atomic sagebrush
June 8th, 2016, 05:07 PM
It is because it's just an average, not a reliable gender prediction. That's all. It is just like height and amount of body hair and weight.

On average men are taller than women, on average they weigh more than women, on average they have more body hair. This does not mean that they are all true in every case (like Janet Reno and Danny Devito). But if you have a person who is taller, heavier, and more body hair than another, it is probable, not a guarantee, but probable that it's a man instead of a woman. That's all.

Princess Mom
June 8th, 2016, 05:35 PM
I see, I then got worried since mine numbers were low if something was wrong, but nurse said it seemed fine. And my dd numbers were also low and my sons. My daughter is pretty tall for her age, and my son is pretty short for 2 lol my older son is super tall.
My husband like stop obsessing lol

atomic sagebrush
June 10th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Yes exactly. My daughter was my second biggest baby. Height is just what it is. A number.

Just want to clarify that it doesn't have anything to do with height per se, it's just an example of how these hormone levels work. They're like height, it's the average but just knowing that doesn't tell you anything necessarily. Even if the average HCG level in female pregnancies is higher, it's like height - knowing someone is 5 ft. 6 does not tell you their gender!!!

Lhp0708
May 7th, 2017, 12:02 AM
I know this thread is probably closed but I was wondering if anyone could predict my beta results!

Papp-a MoM - 0.74
Hcg1 MoM -1.31
NT MoM - 0.93

Thanks in advance!!

atomic sagebrush
May 7th, 2017, 02:18 PM
I don't think anyone on here is in the guessing business any more, but I think there's info on how to do it in the thread. :)

SSK
May 22nd, 2017, 02:43 PM
NT(mm) 1.7
f-B-HCG 1.39 MoM
PAPPA 0.17 MoM
Gestational Week : 13 weeks and 3 days
Please let me know the gender.

atomic sagebrush
May 22nd, 2017, 10:26 PM
I don't think anyone is doing the guessing FOR people any more but all the info you need to do your own guessing is in the thread!

hascan
August 22nd, 2017, 04:35 PM
I have gone thru many posts in this thread. Very interesting. What I learnt is HCG and PAPP-A both has benchmark of 1MOM anything above is girl and below is a boy. In your case, it can be 50-50.
What is your fetus' CRL? Corelation of NT with CRL is also very important.

NT(mm) 1.7
f-B-HCG 1.39 MoM
PAPPA 0.17 MoM

hascan
August 22nd, 2017, 04:37 PM
I have my scan at 12w4dand levels are;

Free HCG- 0.34
PAPP-A- 0.54
NT-2.00MM

What do you guess?

I have gone thru many posts in this thread. Very interesting. What I learnt is HCG and PAPP-A both has benchmark of 1MOM anything above is girl and below is a boy. In your case, it can be 50-50.
What is your fetus' CRL? Corelation of NT with CRL is also very important.

atomic sagebrush
August 22nd, 2017, 04:40 PM
I'm not sure anyone is still guessing - hope you get what you're wishing for!

hascan
August 22nd, 2017, 04:43 PM
Thank you "ATOMIC SAGEBRUSH".

I'm not sure anyone is still guessing - hope you get what you're wishing for!

hascan
August 22nd, 2017, 04:44 PM
This is a very interesting thread. I don't know why it was archived.

hascan
August 22nd, 2017, 04:57 PM
Hi SSK,

I just saw that you have posted in May 2017. Can you please update your result if you have received any? It will be a good reference for others like me.

Thanks

NT(mm) 1.7
f-B-HCG 1.39 MoM
PAPPA 0.17 MoM

atomic sagebrush
August 23rd, 2017, 08:51 PM
This is a very interesting thread. I don't know why it was archived.

It's not, it's still active and able to be commented upon by anyone.

I personally do not think it's worth putting a lot of stock into as there are opposites often enough so that it's not reliable and since at least some of the people who wanted to know about this, were wanting early abortions (not saying that is YOU, or anyone who posted in this thread, just that is my experience with people who were very interested in this method) and I am NOT interested in assisting anyone with early abortions, I don't make guesses based on this method.

The thread is active for anyone who would like to make guesses using this technique. I will not.

hascan
August 24th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Oh.. is this the case then I agree with you ...better to leave it..BTW Thanks for your comment and letting people know the reason..

It's not, it's still active and able to be commented upon by anyone.

I personally do not think it's worth putting a lot of stock into as there are opposites often enough so that it's not reliable and since at least some of the people who wanted to know about this, were wanting early abortions (not saying that is YOU, or anyone who posted in this thread, just that is my experience with people who were very interested in this method) and I am NOT interested in assisting anyone with early abortions, I don't make guesses based on this method.

The thread is active for anyone who would like to make guesses using this technique. I will not.

Samu
November 25th, 2018, 03:59 AM
Please guess mine
HCG 0.68
Pappa 0.98
Nt 1.5mm

atomic sagebrush
November 25th, 2018, 01:24 PM
I don't think anyone here is guessing any more, does anyone want to have a try??

Princess Mom
February 9th, 2019, 06:43 PM
It wasn’t true for me, I literally was obsessing over this and my daughter was a girl after all!

pragya30
May 8th, 2019, 08:20 AM
I have First Trisem results with me

Free HCG- 0.58 MoM
PAPP-A- 1.97 MoM
NT-0.5 mm ,0.38MoM
CRL-48 mm

What do you guess?

atomic sagebrush
May 8th, 2019, 06:24 PM
I don't think anyone is guessing any more but on the first page is links to the study so you can guess yourself. :)

Sorry I just don't believe it's reliable, so I choose not to guess.