PDA

View Full Version : opk confusion

threelittlebears
April 26th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Hi Ladies, I am in the 2WW on CD17 after ovulating on either CD11 or CD12. On CD10 and CD11 I had super positive OPK's. On CD11 I had some cramping on the left and brown discharge in the evening. By CD12 the OPK's were negative. I have continued testing with the OPK's to make sure I didn't miss my surge and they have been negative from CD12-CD17. Then today I tested again at lunchtime after no food or drink for 2hrs and it was positive and the test line was darker than the control.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I would have thought after the discharge and cramping and positive OPK's I ovulated earlier in the week. DH and I BD 2 days ago since I thought I had ovulated and the OPK's were now negative so BD'ing again would be more boy frequency. Any suggestions? Should I just leave it?

Thanks Ladies.

toomanyboys
April 26th, 2012, 10:23 PM
i have had this problem too..although Ovulating twice in one cycle is uncommon...there is a small possibility at any given cycle in a women's life. however it is rare so i wouldnt depend on that.
what usually happens in most cases to all of us is that in some cycles the body gears up to ovulate but then quite does not make it.....your first surge sound to like that has happened as it was just too short a surge to ave lasted only a day.. normally surges last a couple of days. it would help if you can recall how dark your last surge was you may find it wasn't as dark as the second one so you may be about to ovulate for sure.. but then again you may not as dark OPK's never guarantee you O..you have to use cm and all th other numerous factors into consideration and even then you will never know for sure that you have O so only time will tell.
you also say that you BD 2 days ago that will make you have BD on cd15. and if your real surge is today you may still be in for a chance to be in the girl category casue it may take the next 24-72 hours for you to actually release the egg. it seems to me the cd10-cd12 was only a slight rise in LH but this one seeing it is darker then the control line may be your real surge. if you choose not to BD you may have too much of a cut off and not even fall pregnant all depends how hospitable your environment is and how long your DH little spermies survive it. but the likelyhood is that there is minial chance for any good sperm to still exist if you BD cd 15 but aren't going to O until cd19?
and it is not all about cut off. people have BD on O day and still had a girl so environment is key. i have very hostile cm as of late so i BD before and through O but am not fussed about O because i found that due to the lack of cm my environemnt is quite inhobitable to dh. hence why it has taken me so long to fall PG.
if you want to reduce the risk of boy catgory i would BD today if still possible and then keep DH in then jump and dump after a couple of hours maybe doushe with the shower hose to get rid of excess. this gives you a chance to have some fresh dh in you so when the egg is released you still have a chance to fall pregnant and since boy perm don't survive so long and you released most of it you have a good chance to fall PG with girl sperm that is left behind as you may not release until another 2 days.
it is also crucial to know what your history is..if you do fall pregnant the moment you BD with hubby you know your environment is very hosbitable or you are verty fertile in your opinion which all comes down to your envrionment being very hosbitable then maybe to have a 2 day cut off may pose a slightly higher risk for boy category for you. then i would suggest to try a O+12 method instead.
now coming to the O pains...i know my body like to a T but i have also found that sometime O pains come when you gear up but don't come when you have O. so don't just go by pains but go by cm as well. you can check you cp too and see if it open. you should find that by tomorrow it will be.
hope this rant will help somewhat.....

good luck...:)

Butterfly Spirit
April 26th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Hyperovulation!?!?

Are you taking clomid or vitex?

threelittlebears
April 26th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks for such informative replies ladies! I have been taking vitex for 3 cycles and this is the first cycle I have stopped it. I stopped at CD10, whereas I had been taking it straight through my cycle and having extemely irregular cycles....as in a 4 day luteal phase. Atomic suggested stopping it before ovulation and I had felt like this cycle was slightly back to normal until today.

I have 3DS's and all were conceived within the first 2 cycles. This time I am swaying for a girl and am on the 6th cycle! My whole life my cycles were extemely regular 28 days and ovulation on day 14. Since taking vitex, ovulation has been earlier. I guess I am going to ovulate in the next day or so due to the positive OPK today.

Gee, you think you have it all worked out in your head how your sway is going to go and then your body goes and does something like this....lol!

Thanks again for the replies ladies!

On CD10 AND CD11 my OPK's were definitely positive as in the test line was darker than the control and I was testing 4-5 times a day. The OPK's turned negative by the afternoon of CD12.

Butterfly Spirit
April 26th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks for such informative replies ladies! I have been taking vitex for 3 cycles and this is the first cycle I have stopped it. I stopped at CD10, whereas I had been taking it straight through my cycle and having extemely irregular cycles....as in a 4 day luteal phase. Atomic suggested stopping it before ovulation and I had felt like this cycle was slightly back to normal until today.

I have 3DS's and all were conceived within the first 2 cycles. This time I am swaying for a girl and am on the 6th cycle! My whole life my cycles were extemely regular 28 days and ovulation on day 14. Since taking vitex, ovulation has been earlier. I guess I am going to ovulate in the next day or so due to the positive OPK today.

Gee, you think you have it all worked out in your head how your sway is going to go and then your body goes and does something like this....lol!

Thanks again for the replies ladies!

On CD10 AND CD11 my OPK's were definitely positive as in the test line was darker than the control and I was testing 4-5 times a day. The OPK's turned negative by the afternoon of CD12.

wOw that is REALLY exciting! How often are you managing to BD? ;)
And just so I get this straight, how many days since your first OPK, it sounds like a lot!
Maybe it isn't hyperovulation..! What if that OPK is doubling as a preg test? I've read they can and even show positive sooner than a HPT. Because to me, it seems too far away for hyperovulation. I guess I should have read it better!

threelittlebears
April 26th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Lol....my rambling post probably wasn't very well articulated! However, I had my first positive OPK 7 days ago. They were positive for 2-2.5 days then turned negative. Now, 7 days after my first positive I have another positive. I don't think implantation would have even occured yet so I'm sure I'm not pregnant......though it's nice to think I could come off this darn diet...haha!

By the way Butterfly, congrats on your wonderful news, I read your sway and it looks fantastic!

Butterfly Spirit
April 26th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Lol....my rambling post probably wasn't very well articulated! However, I had my first positive OPK 7 days ago. They were positive for 2-2.5 days then turned negative. Now, 7 days after my first positive I have another positive. I don't think implantation would have even occured yet so I'm sure I'm not pregnant......though it's nice to think I could come off this darn diet...haha!

By the way Butterfly, congrats on your wonderful news, I read your sway and it looks fantastic!

Well I HOPE The vitex works for you this cycle sweetie! That was going to be my plan too, I would have done 2-3 on and 1 off! Better go make that baby!!!

Thank you so much :) I'm going to set up an OB appt tmw. I'm still spotting just one brown spot a day, so hopefully they will consider me high risk and get me an ultrasound!

lightofmylifexxxy
April 26th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Hello threelittlebears, i just read your post.... I too have heard that you can get positive opk's when you are indeed pregnant. I read up on implantation a few weeks back, and on some sites it has said that implantation can happen at the very earliest 5dpo? So maybe it could be some good news? I too am using opk's for the first time and finding them confusing at times! wishing u lots of luck with ttc x

toomanyboys
April 27th, 2012, 02:18 AM
i was thinking that too....that there is a teeny weeny chance you could be pregnant...hence the OPK...and i was about to suggest taking a very sensitive HPT. but i think the chances of that are very very slim also i took a OPK on cd10 a day after my faintest surge and ghost line on my IC''s and the second line came out dark but only just. in fact since reading your post i took another OPK today this is now after 4 day of bfp and i am nearly due today or tomorrow and it finally came out darker than the control line. so like with HPT's OPK's also take time to really come up dark if you are pregnant.

if you want to be on the safe side grab youself some cheap brand HPT's like tesco or wilko or asda's and do them. you may be pleasantly surprised...you're safe to BD witout causing irritation to your cervix so early on....and if the second surge is your real one....you get down and dirty tonight to increase the cut off and jump and dump

..well i thought i knew my body knew all the symtoms i will be getting when and if i do fall pg....and now that i am firstly i don't know when it happened exactly as O threw me off completely, i also had no real symtoms until 6dpo. and even now i am checking everyday and although the BFP is getting darker i still cannot quite believe it as my symptoms are neither here nor there and sometimes i tell myself i am imagning them and stop thinking about it....
much baby dust to you.....hopefully like me you will get your pink bean...my DD was also a miracle concieved her straight after MC and 3 boy and again..when i finally gave up and got fed up of TTC and dieting and timing.....:)

Butterfly Spirit
April 27th, 2012, 02:27 AM
hehe see I'm not alone! Get to testing woman! ;)

AND WATCH for ghost lines!!!

threelittlebears
April 28th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Hehe...only time will tell. I'm not normally a testing kind of gal, just usually wait to see if AF arrives. I am currently 6DPO if I go by my original positive OPK's along with my body signs and all day today I have had a sharp pain, quite low down more near the pelvis bone. It feels like a stitch that won't go away. I definitely haven't had this kind of pain since TTC number 4 so this is the first cycle I feel something is different. AF is due in about 8 days so I guess the waiting game continues!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply Ladies!