PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Potter, Type 1 diabetes and PGD?

3boyz
May 1st, 2012, 09:38 PM
Hi! I'm a type one diabetic. I have been diabetic for 23 years. I have been on an insulin pump for the past 12 years. I'm wondering how having type 1 diabetes may affect an IVF cycle? What a1c do you look for in a patient with type 1? How might the meds affect my blood sugars? Does having diabetes make it more difficult? Thank you in advance!

Dr. Potter
May 1st, 2012, 11:34 PM
Hi! I'm a type one diabetic. I have been diabetic for 23 years. I have been on an insulin pump for the past 12 years. I'm wondering how having type 1 diabetes may affect an IVF cycle? What a1c do you look for in a patient with type 1? How might the meds affect my blood sugars? Does having diabetes make it more difficult? Thank you in advance!
This is a great question. We have had many, many patients that have type 1 diabetes that have been successfully treated. We prefer HgbA1C to be <6%. The medications themselves should not affect your sugars. Prior to initiating treatment, I would require that we have a baseline exam to look for end organ disease (eyes, kidneys) and that your obsterician feels that you are healthy enough for pregnancy. These things are almost never a problem as type 1 diabetics are the most meticulous patients that we have! The prognosis with IVF/PGD is generally not affected by type 1 diabetes. I have previously received questions about the genetics of type 1 diabetes and PGD. The genetics have not been fully worked out and there are also subgroups of type 1 diabetics that may not have a genetic basis so we cannot test for it with PGD at present.

3boyz
May 2nd, 2012, 08:07 PM
Thank you Dr. Potter! I'm hoping to be able to cycle with you next summer...just have to get the hubby on board! My a1c is 6.3 right now, which is on the high side for me. In pregnancy, much to my dr's dismay, I tend to be around 4.2. So, I'm wanting to keep my sugars not high, but I tend to bottom out. Anyway, I'm rambling. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.