PDA

View Full Version : Viability scan - would you pay?

Gentle
May 5th, 2012, 08:40 AM
My gp requested one for me, but the appt still came through for 12wks. Grrr - love the nhs - but you'd think after 4 mc, included one blighted ovum, and a history of ppd they'd understand the need to get some clarity as soon as possible!

Paying for one would be £80 which would come from either our holiday or car savings. I begrudge it in a way as I know my gp thought there'd be no problem with the hospital arranging the earlier scan for me. Silly I know but we keep a tight rein on our budgets...

Zivic-Bubac
May 5th, 2012, 12:14 PM
What's the point?

I mean they could ( and probably will, hopefully) say: Cool, everything is perfect, baby is viable!
Or ( God forbid!!!!! m sure it won't be the case! ) Oh, it's not looking good.
And then what? If it's OK, it's OK, with or without viability scan, if something is wrong, nature arranged m/c in practically all cases. Imho, viability scan gives you more time to feel miserable if the result is not good.

I was never suggested to do it, bit I would consider doing it ONLY if it could provide me with some results and facts, for example why did I have 4 m/c and how can that be prevented in the future.

Praying with you for a healthy bubba! :)

toomanyboys
May 5th, 2012, 12:33 PM
OMG i couldn't wait that long...i am in the same boat as you have reccurent MC's tried to get myself into the early pregnancy unit but because i had a live pg between my mc's they didn't consider it to be necessary. i am only 5 weeks today but i am quite tempted to book in for a viability scan. it is money well spent in my opinion the last thing i want is an ectopic and loose a tube....just hold back indulging for the new baby in certain aspects...like for this baby i wouldn't need to buy anything new apart form the pram and car seat esp if it is a girl...as i have all my DD1 clothes saved and all her crib and bedding is good as new. if it is a boy i would just have to add blue bedding and some more clothes but i still got all clothes from years on from my 3 sons. gotta weigh up what is important to you.....i personally couldn't wait that long...i would be willing to pay as it is a life and death situation literally for both baby and me in case soemting is wrong... i need the reassurance to get on with life...it would just make the next few weeks too hard to deal with....it would just affect me so much waiting that it would affect my whole family life....i am already high on hormones add anticipation and frustration and anxiety to that won't make for a helathy atmosphere at home....hope £80 is well worth it....just ned to make cuts elsewhere...

Gentle
May 8th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Well -my phoning around certainly paid off. I found the right person for my gp's referral to be faxed to - apparently it was too hard for the staff actually working in the same hospital to do it themselves - they just kept repeating they don't do early scans at Xxxx hospital. Nonsense. Anyway the right place is a lovely person who got it all dealt with sooooo fast - I have a scan booked tomorrow 3pm. I can't quite breathe if I think about it.

Gentle
May 9th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Heartbeat!!!

LolaInLove
May 9th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Hey Gentle, so glad to read that word! I have had recurrent m/c too and I think I would fork out for the scan. A heartbeat is a pretty good indicator that things are, for the most part, going well. I don't think mine every got there. Hope you have a happy and healthy 9 months! And good for you for being diligent about your money!

BeadinMom
May 9th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Congratulations, Gentle! So happy for you! :)

atomic sagebrush
May 9th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Oh that's wonderful news!!