PDA

View Full Version : Drinking grapefruit juice?

Flava
May 5th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Im not sure if it's ok to drink it while pregnant . With DD4 I always wanted to eat ruby read grapefruit (and she loves it too lol) with this baby I LOVE:heart: to drink it. (also don't mind to eat it )
I fond this about it:

"Although drinking red grapefruit juice while pregnant is usually safe, pregnant women should consider several factors before doing so. Grapefruit juice is a good source of many vitamins and minerals, but also might trigger unpleasant physical symptoms during pregnancy. It also might negatively interact with certain medications. If you have specific concerns about drinking red grapefruit juice during your pregnancy, contact your doctor.
Nutrition

Red grapefruit juice contains several essential vitamins and minerals. One cup of red grapefruit contains about 96 calories and virtually no fat, but provides 1.7 g of protein and is a good source of vitamins A and C. It also contains calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B-6, vitamin E and folate. Although red grapefruit juice is a health beverage, it is possible to get too much of a good thing. Drinking excess amounts might cause you to consume less of other foods. Since you need foods from all of the food groups for proper nutrition, it is best to drink grapefruit juice in moderation."

SO it's actually good for us , ok. But how much is to much?:think: I want to drink it all the time 3+ cup a day is nothing for me...:hide:
I also like orange juice this time ( normally I never drink orange juice) but this makes me more sick after I drink it and grapefruit juice don't hurt me at all.:suprise:
Don't really have much choice of other drinks because my stomach still so sensitive , I get sick from everything , lot's of acid and tummy pain and from that nausea comes ...:sigh::hair:

Im not on any meds no unpleasant symptoms from drinking it ect. So I would think it's ok?
Anyone else drink a lot from something?

atomic sagebrush
May 5th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Grapefruit juice is a weird thing because it can block or interfere with some drugs and make other drugs super effective. So you will find some odd warnings against it on the Web sometimes. I think it's fine in sane amounts, even 3 cups a day does not seem particularly extreme to me. Now 3 Big-Gulps might be a bit much, but 3 reg. sized cups should be fine otherwise there would be warning labels on bottles of Ruby Red LOL.

I think the "unpleasant physical reaction" they're talking about may be heartburn.

The second warning seemed more like a, be sure to eat lots of diff. foods when pg which is of course good advice. Get some protein and healthy fat in addition to the grapefruit juice, of course.

My good friend craved grapefruit during one of her pg - it was a BOY. ;)

Hobbermittens
May 5th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I have been eating grapefruits, and I haven't had any issues. Go for it Flava!

Yuzu
May 5th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I'm glad you asked this question; I had no idea that there might be problems with grapefruit juice. I've been drinking all sorts of juice lately, including grapefruit. I really shouldn't, because of the sugars, but juice is just so darn delicious.

Zivic-Bubac
May 5th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I was drinking and eating grapefruit during pg with DD2 and this pregnancy and so did my sister ( she had a boy) bcos that was the only thing that sort of helped with constant nausea, esp. this time.

However I was trying to stay moderate, so I drank 2 glasses ( 4dl ) tops or eat 1 grapefruit and drink 1 glass of g-juice.
No side effects whatsoever. 3 cups sound OK :agree:
( Note: I could have drank easily 1 liter or more, bcos it felt so good but a) it would be too expensive b) I never go in extremes with anything while pg)

Oh, and only the red grapefruit did the trick for stopping the nausea :wink:

MatildaMai
May 5th, 2012, 05:57 PM
OMG! I am dying of MS and I am consuming grapefruit like there's no tomorrow. The weirdest thing is that I ordinarily don't like it at all and would never have it. However, now it's the ONLY liquid I want to drink, either as juice or carbonated (fizzy grapefruit soft drink) so I'm having about a litre a day. I'm on a tonne of meds for the vomiting etc... and unable to eat anything much at all, except oranges and grapefruit. And the odd cracker or bit of plain boiled rice.

TTC5
May 5th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Wow your almost 12 weeks Flava!!!

Flava
May 6th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks girls! Im not on any meds at all so I think that problem is out.
I so don't care about the sugar in it right now :p because I have to drink something, right? Also sometimes I mix it with water so i don't drink so much of it.
Food yeah, I eat what I can because lot's of things still makes me sick.
I glade Im not the only one drinking it lol