PDA

View Full Version : PGD vs Microsort?

Mollo
May 9th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Sorry for all my questions, but what is the difference between these two?

Isn`t a 100% sucsess rate for PGD?

Puh, its a big jungle of information out there!!! :o

Mollo
May 9th, 2012, 08:06 AM
By that I meen sucsess with the choosen gender..

RedCanoe
May 9th, 2012, 08:42 AM
With PGD you do a biopsy on the embryo and get a cell to look at the genes. It's quoted as 99% accurate, to account for human error, I guess. Microsort is a sperm sorting method that gives you mostly sperm of a certain gender. It was supposed to be better for girl sorts than boy sorts. But it was NOT a gender guarantee, just better odds. It's no longer available in in the US, though.

atomic sagebrush
May 9th, 2012, 09:38 AM
PGD has like a 99% success rate (sometimes there is human error) and also the benefit that you can check for chromosomal anomalies.

Microsort cannot guarantee your desired gender and there have been some opposites even with great sorts (above 90% I believe.) Also, the pregnancy rates were not great with Microsort + IUI. Microsort is not available in Europe, Aus, or the UK and you would have to travel to another country for it - which is not so good when it doesn't have the best odds of pg, you might end up having to go back several rounds.

lisvna
May 9th, 2012, 09:46 AM
You can do also both; ivf/pgd/spermsort. The spermsort can be Microsort or something else. I know in Mexico they offer ivf/pgd/Microsort also at north Cyprus ivf clinc of dr Savas Ozyigit (which I do NOT recommend). The Genesis clinic of dr Savvas Koundouros in South Cyprus offers ivf/pgd/spermsort (I can reccomand this clinic). It's his own spermsort technique so it's not the brand Microsort but many woman had benefit of this.

So first they do spermsort to better the ods of desired gender and do regular ivf or icsi and after fertilization they do a biopsy to make sure they transfer the desired gender.

nuthinbutpink
May 10th, 2012, 06:57 AM
It was really a different between an IUI and IVF. People used to come to the States to try an IUI with MS. The pregnancy odds were very low- 10-12% per try and no guarantee of gender. Like lisvna says, you could also add it to an IVF cycle.

It isn't available anymore in the States. Genesis sperm sorting added to IVF seems to work to increase the desired number of females to males based upon the anecdotal data on here but I have never seen any %'s quoted for them in regards to gender outcome with IVF.