PDA

View Full Version : screening results?

Hobbermittens
May 11th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I got back my screening results from the blood work done at my 18 week u/s. I am 39. My results for downs were 1:200. The "normal" result is 1:270, so my test was slightly positive. The doctor wasn't overly concerned, but of course I worry. Has anyone had results like this before?

Also, my ultrasound went well; all the measurements were normal, there were no markers, and the doctor was really pleased with what he saw.

Just curious if other people have had experiences like this, and how things turned out.

BeadinMom
May 11th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I have no idea, Hobber, but I'm saying prayers it doesn't mean anything at all and that you have a perfect, healthy, happy little bean in there.

Hobbermittens
May 11th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Thank you. :)

Zivic-Bubac
May 11th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Also, my ultrasound went well; all the measurements were normal, there were no markers, and the doctor was really pleased with what he saw.
That's excellent news Hobbi!
My down risk was 1:303 and normal result or cut-off was 1:380, I was 14 weeks 6 days.
My ob/gyn was worried about my results (????) and she strongly recommended amniocentesis, but since my u/s measurements were good, DH and I decided no to do it.

Our initial age risk ( at 39 ) is 1:80-1:101, so our personal results are waaay better then expected :bigsmile:

Did you do double test ( free beta hCG and AFP)?

OnlyPraying
May 11th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I think thats great news and I wouldnt worry about the numbers one bit! Im so glad everything is good!!! :)

Hobbermittens
May 11th, 2012, 06:42 PM
That's excellent news Hobbi!
My down risk was 1:303 and normal result or cut-off was 1:380, I was 14 weeks 6 days.
My ob/gyn was worried about my results (????) and she strongly recommended amniocentesis, but since my u/s measurements were good, DH and I decided no to do it.

Our initial age risk ( at 39 ) is 1:80-1:101, so our personal results are waaay better then expected :bigsmile:

Did you do double test ( free beta hCG and AFP)?

I did a test at 11wks and then one at 18wks. The 11wks test (along with the NT scan) gave me 1:120 for downs. After the 18wk test I was given 1:200. SO that is better, but I would have liked something within the "normal" range. 1:270 is considered normal--I wonder why your "normal" is different? Is it because we were at different gestations?

Anyway I am trying to worry--1:200 is about a .5% chance, so that's pretty good, I guess?

atomic sagebrush
May 16th, 2012, 01:11 PM
I did a test at 11wks and then one at 18wks. The 11wks test (along with the NT scan) gave me 1:120 for downs. After the 18wk test I was given 1:200. SO that is better, but I would have liked something within the "normal" range. 1:270 is considered normal--I wonder why your "normal" is different? Is it because we were at different gestations?

Anyway I am trying to worry--1:200 is about a .5% chance, so that's pretty good, I guess?
What "normal" is has to do with your age and the precise number of days of gestation you're at.

Hobbermittens
May 16th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I talked to my Dr. and the 1:270 "normal" score for this particular test is the same for everyone, no matter their age. 1:200 isn't all that bad, and my doctor said he was actually surprised I got that good of a result, because of my age.