PDA

View Full Version : Ovidrel & Breastfeeding

n710
May 12th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Hi Dr. P or anyone who knows,
I was wondering if I use Ovidrel (hcg trigger shot), can I just pump and dump for 2 weeks until it's out of my system and then resume breastfeeding again?

From what I am reading online, the lower dosage (which is what I'd be on) is out of your system in 2 weeks max.

That is the only drug I'd be using.

Thanks for your help.

n710
May 17th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Just bumping, Does anyone know if you can go back to breastfeeding two weeks after an Hcg trigger shot???

RedCanoe
May 17th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Are you hoping to cycle while breastfeeding? As far as I know most doctors want you to stop bf a few months before cycling.

As far as hcg in your system while bf goes, I can't imagine that it would hurt the baby. Women get pregnant (and therefore have hcg in their system) and keep nursing all the time. I've never heard of that being a problem. I don't think you would need to pump and dump, but if you feel more comfortable doing that, I'm sure you could resume after two weeks without any issues.

What would you be taking the Ovidrel for?

n710
May 19th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks RC,
yes, i'd be still nursing. Age wise and DH not wanting to wait if we are going to have another doesn't give me the option of waiting until my youngest is old enough to stop. i have gotten pregnant with all of my kids (except the first of course) while BFing the youngest who has always been under a year.
I would be doing IUI w/ no clomid, i know i definitely can't breastfeed with that.
i just wanted to make sure the hcg trigger would be out of the breastmilk at a certain point. it makes sense if it's just hcg and something that your body produces anyway when you ovulate, i just wasn't sure because it's synthetic and if the level in the shot was way above what your body would normally do

RedCanoe
May 19th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Oh, ok. I think you should definitely be ok to keep nursing then. :)

When reading about when to POAS after an hcg shot they always say it should be out of your system in about 10 days, so 2 weeks it would definitely be all gone. My bet would be that you could just keep nursing, but pumping and dumping for two weeks would be doable too if you just don't feel confident about it.

GL with the IUI!

michaela
May 19th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I think you would want to pump and dump. HCG isn't synthetic, it is derived from the urine of pregnant women hence the name Human Chorionic Gonadotropin. So while it is a normal hormone that is made during pregnancy, it is your hormone not someone else's which is why I would think you would want to pump and dump for the length of time it is in your body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n710
May 20th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks ladies, it is so helpful to be able to get someone else's opinion on these things kwim?

michaela, you meant because it is because it's not my hormone and is someone else's that I would want to pump and dump, right?
"it is your hormone not someone else's which is why I would think you would want to pump and dump for the length of time it is in your body. "

vickyaust
May 23rd, 2012, 04:43 AM
Firstly congratulations on still breastfeeding. I am a strong advocate for BF'ing and the enormous benefits.
I would be asking a pharmacist at a hospital for womens fertility this question. I think there is a good chance that it would be ok to continue to BF through the trigger shot time.
Personally I have just stopped feeding my 14 month old so I can do a full stim cycle and it was a very hard decision.
Good luck with your IUI.

n710
May 25th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks Vicky-GL to you too- I usually end up stopping right around 13 months. I am a SAHM so it's actually so much easier too to BF and not have to deal with bottles, etc.
I am sending all my pink dust:)

Dr. Potter
June 1st, 2012, 01:46 AM
Hi Dr. P or anyone who knows,
I was wondering if I use Ovidrel (hcg trigger shot), can I just pump and dump for 2 weeks until it's out of my system and then resume breastfeeding again?

From what I am reading online, the lower dosage (which is what I'd be on) is out of your system in 2 weeks max.

That is the only drug I'd be using.

Thanks for your help.IF that is the only drug you will be using this should be fine. What are you using it for?

Dr. Potter
June 1st, 2012, 01:47 AM
I think you would want to pump and dump. HCG isn't synthetic, it is derived from the urine of pregnant women hence the name Human Chorionic Gonadotropin. So while it is a normal hormone that is made during pregnancy, it is your hormone not someone else's which is why I would think you would want to pump and dump for the length of time it is in your body.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOvidrel is actually recombinant and is manufactured, not from urine. All other forms of hCG are extracted from urine just as you describe.

n710
June 5th, 2012, 05:10 PM
IF that is the only drug you will be using this should be fine. What are you using it for?

I'd be doing it with IUI, no clomid or any other stimulating drugs, just the trigger