PDA

View Full Version : Article in Parents Magazine on GD

Chicky
May 17th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I had GD with ds2. I got over it before he was born but I remember how difficult it was so HUGS to all you ladies going through it.

I read this article in the May issue so figured I would share here (if you get to a subscription page first just click the link near the top that says continue to destination)...

The Boy-Girl Blues: Dealing with Baby Gender Disappointment (http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-baby/gender-prediction/baby-gender-disappointment/)

atomic sagebrush
May 19th, 2012, 11:16 AM
That is actually very well done and tasteful. Kudos to Parents Magazine for not sensationalizing the issue.

I shudder to read the comments tho - so I won't! :p

begonia
May 19th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I saw this in the magazine and showed DH I was so surprised! I agree, tastefully done but probably because it was also pretty lightweight IMO. Thanks for finding the link and posting Chicky!

FWIW I have been semi-open about my GD (not the depth of it, but very honest about yes I would have liked a son with any of my pg) and it is NOT uncommon... so many people with 2 of a kind will say something about how they also wished to parent both genders or wished for an opposite of what they got. Then we say something about loving what you have regardless and all go on about our merry way.

Oh and I agree AS, no way would I read the comments section online about this!

Hobbermittens
May 19th, 2012, 10:51 PM
There were only 3 comments and nothing bad. Anyway, It was a nice article, but "lightweight" as Begonia says.... I think the fact that it states your GD will be gone when the baby is born is unrealistic for everyone. I certainly didn't have that experience. It took me months to really bond with my GD baby. I know many women are fine after the birth, and possibly my experience had something to do with PPD? Anyway, I am glad GD is being addressed in a main****** magazine like Parents.

Myloves
May 19th, 2012, 11:22 PM
There were only 3 comments and nothing bad. Anyway, It was a nice article, but "lightweight" as Begonia says.... I think the fact that it states your GD will be gone when the baby is born is unrealistic for everyone. I certainly didn't have that experience. It took me months to really bond with my GD baby. I know many women are fine after the birth, and possibly my experience had something to do with PPD? Anyway, I am glad GD is being addressed in a main****** magazine like Parents.

Agreed. I had PPD as well as GD with my second son, and I didn't bond with him the way I easily bonded with Ds1. Though I don't think people are as understanding when it comes to extreme gender disappointment as opposed to just gender desire.

auroara78
May 21st, 2012, 10:36 AM
I agree the article was nice but lightweight.

I was disappointed when I heard DS1 was a boy, but becuase he was my first, I got over it quickly and was very, very excited to meet him, and we bonded right away.

DS2 was harder because he was a tougher baby and it took me months to feel a really deep bond with him. He just turned 1 last month, and I can say he really is bright light in my life.

I am still glad that a national magazine is addressing the issue, more for the idea of "not being alone"....some women may feel horrid for feeling that way, and guilt will just compound the depression / sad issues. I think it's great to shed some light on the subject, even if it's a light dip.

Begonia, I was the same way, ppl know I love my boys, but I was very vocal about how I had wanted 1 girl, so before I got pregnant this time, that just added extra pressure because ppl knew how hard I was gearing for a girl.