PDA

View Full Version : I think we have a name :)

Journey2dFuture
May 18th, 2012, 12:41 PM
After much discussion on the culture difference. Me being British and DH being Polish it's been hard to find something we both 'like' agree on.
DH suggested Vincent a long time ago- I wasn't keen but I have learnt to love it.
All his paper work official documentation will state Vincent but most people will call him Vinnie.
I love Vinnie. We are 80% sure. The only time it will change will be at the birth and he just doesn't look like a Vinnie.

Hobbermittens
May 18th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I love it! I think Vinnie is very cute! :) Vincent is also a really great name. You can't go wrong!

Journey2dFuture
May 18th, 2012, 01:05 PM
We really struggle to find something which is not so common yet works internationally.. :) Thanks Hobber.
When i told my mum - she said i quote ' Oh god thats awful' The few people i have told dont like it.. But ah well - It will grow on them.. :p

Hobbermittens
May 18th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I wonder why people wouldn't like it? :think: It is a strong, masculine, classic name.

purplepoet20
May 18th, 2012, 02:04 PM
A lot of people don't like the names we picked for our boys and try to call them something different.... like Jimmy or Chuck but they are corrected by James.

All that matters is that you and your husband like the name!

zanacal
May 18th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I'm glad you found a name which works for you both, everybody else can stuff it :-D

BeadinMom
May 18th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I think it's a GREAT name!

TTC5
May 18th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Cute name!

PeonyPrincess
May 19th, 2012, 12:10 AM
I think Vincent and Vinnie are both great. I never tell family or friends names we choose until the baby is born as I hate the negative comments. After all the time and effort you put into choosing a name you both like, they should just be happy you actually agreed on something!

We were at a public event this morning and I heard a lady calling a young girl Storm...I whispered to DH that we would not be giving our baby that name!

Myloves
May 19th, 2012, 12:54 AM
I like the name Vincent - I admit, Vinnie is not really my cup of tea, but whatever you like, use it! :)

Journey2dFuture
May 19th, 2012, 02:47 AM
Funny you say that myloves - DH is the same . He hates Vinnie but loves Vincent.. Im in love with Vinnie but not so keen on Vincent. So I'm guessing Daddy will call him Vincent and Ill call him Vinnie. :)
Thanks for all the comments ladies.

Myloves
May 19th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Funny you say that myloves - DH is the same . He hates Vinnie but loves Vincent.. Im in love with Vinnie but not so keen on Vincent. So I'm guessing Daddy will call him Vincent and Ill call him Vinnie. :)
Thanks for all the comments ladies.

You know, my 2nd son's name is Phillip Cade (weird combo I know, but I wanted to name him after two of my great uncles) - and I (along with pretty much everyone) call him Cade, but my Dh calls him Phil or Phillip. It sounds confusing, but Ds2 doesn't seem to mind much at all - he's never confused and answers perfectly fine to both names.

nini
May 23rd, 2012, 03:59 PM
oh, I know about the trouble of finding universal names that work in several or as many languages as possible... Vincent is great, its truly universal and pretty timeless! It would even be pronounced in a similar way in many languages.

We have Latin and Greek names for our boys and a hebrew name for our girl, traditional names everyone knows that are not popular or common right now (which is why we wouldnt choose a hebrew name for a boy as they are all so popular right now... Noah, Samuel etc)... Latin, Greek and Hebrew names usually work in all languages (more or less).

Yuzu
May 23rd, 2012, 06:03 PM
I've always liked the named Vincent. It's a really versatile name. It can sound like a New York tough guy ("Hey, Vinnie"), but it's also the name of a painter (Vincent Van Gogh).

WaitingforIvy
August 8th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Great name! (this is SfT by the way )