PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon's girl sway!

Ribbons
May 18th, 2012, 01:04 PM
** UPDATE - It's a boy! **

I don't know what more I could have done. I really feel like I gave it my best... I guess gender swaying can't win them all. I'm a little sad, but actually ok with it - DS2 will have a lifelong best friend, and that's the best gift I think I could ever give him. DH is taking it a lot harder than me, and is already talking about another one. If we do go that route, we will definitely do HT though. Good luck to everyone!

=================================

Sorry up-front for the novel. I am a fan of too much info, rather than not enough :D

ABOUT ME:

I am 35
DH is also 35
We have two wonderful boys – one teenager 15.5 and one toddler 2.5
Attempt Months: only 1 for the sway, but we were trying for over 6 months prior to this.
Swayed for a GIRL!

:pray:

I only have one working tube and high risk for ectopic. Trying is pretty risky business for us and I have to be closely monitored for every cycle I try. My first ectopic came without any symptoms at all (incl. no positive home test) until almost 7 weeks, then I was pretty sure something was up, tried to get my doctor to listen to me and long story short ended up almost dying – 4 blood transfusions and right tube cauterized (not functional). SO you can imagine how stressed out I was when I had my first U/S a week ago and they confirmed that I O’d from my right ovary. :sad: AMAZINGLY, my little bean somehow crossed the divide and ended up traveling down my left tube (according to my awesome betas!) We go for a confirmation U/S late next week to make sure the bean is safely in my uterus - UPDATE: bean is safe and sound, confirmed via U/S 5/25!!

Because of this, we wanted to get pg as soon as possible. I stuck with only LE diet, only one application of Rephresh, FR/LR for DH, and natural ways of lowering my testosterone. We put in multiple attempts in micro-window and hoped for the best!!!

-=-=-
DIET:

LE Diet for 9 weeks prior to attempt
FGD before that, since mid-Jan (3+ months total)
Vegetarian
No breakfast/snacking
No aspartame

Being a Weston A. Price/traditional foods enthusiast, I approached the LE diet with some serious trepidation. I was raving to my husband for weeks about how I couldn’t possibly wrap my head around this crazy diet where you had to do pretty much everything OPPOSITE of what I knew to work for fertility in general! But, after plenty of research – both on this site and on my own – I started to come to grips with the fact that hey – that’s kind of the point. So obviously I had to take some serious baby steps on the diet... it was super challenging at first, since the WAPF diet is about as opposite of LE as you can get (actually, atomic recommends some of it in the TTC Boy forum LOL)! So, I am naturally a boy-makin’ mamma for sure.

I started out on the FGD in mid-Jan and did that for about 1.5 months as that was the easiest way for me to transition; switched to LE/fully vegetarian on 3/1. I unfortunately went over on calories quite a few times (like in the 1800-1900 range) as I was trying to get the hang of it... at least it was with carbs/wine when I was going over on calories, not fat and protein. There were a couple of major cheat days (St.Pats, my birthday). But, for the most part, I did pretty well, almost always under on my sodium and fat; went over on protein a few times but not by much (kept my protein at 15% or less of total calories).

I ate lots and lots of carbs mostly in the form of brown rice and rice pasta, matzo, and low-nutrient veggies: mushrooms, eggplant, cucumbers, zucchini, green onions, green beans, leeks, tomatoes. I didn’t eat onions, sweet potatoes, beets, spinach or any other bright color / high nutrient veggies. I rarely ate garlic but did indulge occasionally. I got my protein/fat from dairy (mostly fat-free or lowfat dairy - yogurt, ricotta, cream cheese, sour cream, sometimes some full-fat mozzarella and swiss cheese). I didn’t drink any milk. I was also getting quite a few calories from wine at the beginning (3-4x week) but cut that back significantly (1x week) and none at all in our attempt cycle.

I wanted to keep at least SOMEWHAT healthy and true to my WAPF principles, so I ate all organic, made everything from scratch (ate out maybe 3-4 times in 2 months), ate lots of veggies, steered clear of sugar - including most fruit, soaked my rice, and used expeller-pressed safflower oil as my main cooking oil.

MOST of the time I skipped b-fast but caved a few times. I was super-strict in the last 3 weeks. I never, never snacked – this wasn’t a problem for me actually. 3 meals a day; coffee 6am, 1st meal around 10-11am sometimes later, 2nd meal 2-3pm (which really wasn't a meal; something small like yogurt, around 100-200 calories max), dinner 6pm, and nothing after that. Dropped the "2nd meal" for the last 3 weeks of my sway. I didn't do any aspartame but I drank poo-loads of mineral water and RO filtered water.

-=-=-
WEIGHT:

lost 11 lbs total
beginning BMI: 24.3
ending BMI: 22.7

I lost most of my weight at the beginning. Toward the middle of my sway, I packed on about 3 lbs (around my birthday first week of April) and it took a while to get that off. My body does not like heavy carbs for sure! After losing that extra 3 lbs, I plateaued for about 3 weeks prior to my attempt. Since I was still BFing, I was wary of cutting calories too much, but I progressively dropped from around 1600 to 1300 the final week. I FINALLY lost another 2 lbs the week before my attempt. The morning of O-1, I stepped on the scale and was super-excited to see it at the lowest point! I ended up at 4 lbs under my lowest conception weight.

-=-=-
SUPPS:

800mg Vitex AF-O, total of 3 cycles before attempt
800mg Folic Acid (400mg 2x day) since Jan
Cal-Mag at the beginning (dropped 6 wks before attempt)
Fiber + Probiotic supplement with every meal (when I remembered)

I started out taking Cal-Mag in January, but after seeing all of the successful sways without it, I finally decided to drop it about 6 weeks prior to our attempt. I was pretty bad about taking the fiber supplement – only started that about 5 weeks before attempt – and probably only took it half the time. Couldn't take Saw Palmetto, Baby Aspirin, or Cranberry since I am still BFing.

-=-=-
DH SUPPS:

Licorice Root 450mg 3x daily AF-O, total of 2 cycles before attempt
8oz of chocolate soy milk daily during last cycle
cranberry daily AF-O, low dose (2325mg herbal equivalent)
400mg Folic Acid daily since March

The LR made his semen output REALLY reduced – he loved it at first (he has naturally very high testosterone, and he said it made him calmer) but toward the end he started worrying about the drastic reduction in semen output. Our attempts were cut a little short too because of it (see attempts below) The combo of the FR and the LR was just a little too much for him.

He also wore boxer briefs, which he complained about at first but now he loves them and wants more LOL

-=-=-
PH/JELLIES/ETC:

Rephresh O-3 in the late evening – since it works for 3 days, it covered all of our successful DTDs (since O+1 was a bust)
No douche.
No lubes.
No antihistamines.
Didn’t check pH.

-=-=-
OVULATION/TESTING:

Suspected O Date: April 30, 2012 (CD18)
Used CBFM, OPK sticks
No temping - I can’t temp (still co-sleep with DS2)

Used a CBFM and OPKs to track O. I started OPKs (internet cheapies) daily around CD9, started 2x day around CD13 and then 3x day around CD16, when I knew O was close. I had a VERY close fade-in, not quite positive at 5pm CD17 but couldn’t test again – and next morning it was a strong positive along with my first CBFM peak. So, I estimate my O day to be CD18 (4/30 - FF thinks it’s 5/1).

-=-=-
TIMING/FREQUENCY/DTD:

DH - Frequent Release from CD9-CD15, total of 7x
DTD 1x/day on CD16 (O-2), CD17 (O-1), CD18 (O) mid-morning (likely O’d mid-day or evening)

I usually get a high on my CBFM about 5 days in advance and my first peak on O-1... it seemed to work out perfectly because my first peak actually came this time on O day (SO glad I was using OPKs as well), so what I thought was O-3 actually ended up being O-2, which made our attempts timed perfectly! (I thought we had missed O day) The combo of LR/FR wore my DH out, so on O day I had to pull out ALL the stops (you won’t BELIEVE the stuff I had to do to get to the finish line, it’s the spiciest we’ve been since before DS2!!!) – and on O+1 he couldn’t perform at all. O-2 and O-1 were missionary/shallow release and O day was… well, definitely not either of those!!
:rofl:

I didn’t have an orgasm at all for WEEKS but did on O+1 (accidentally!) and was so mad at myself since even DH didn’t! Guess I got too worked up on O day
:oops:

My EWCM was REALLY reduced from normal, but I still had some, especially O-2 and O-1. Interestingly, the Rephresh seemed to dry it up a bit.

-=-=-
AFTER ATTEMPT:

No J&D; laid flat for 30 mins – 1 hr each time
stuck with the LE diet, including skipping breakfast and snacking - did not cheat
Tried to help implantation (due to a history of chemicals and of course my ectopic) from 6-10DPO: I drank red raspberry leaf tea, ate pineapple with the core, sweet potatoes, walnuts, organic whole milk, a fish oil supplement, and ½ dose of a prenatal. Kept everything within my LE limits; was planning on stopping these at CD10 but that was the day I got my BFP :D

-=-=-
EXERCISE:

Zilch! No complaints from me, I don't do much exercise anyway.

-=-=-
TESTOSTERONE:

Peppermint tea 1-2x day AF-O for last two cycles (YUCK)!
Tried really hard not to stress
Spent more time with my boys :HH:
Read boatloads of books
Got a massage O-5
Hubby hired a housecleaner for me for a couple of months (best birthday present EVER!)

I was a classic swaycessor at first, researching and analyzing EVERYTHING I could get my hands on 24/7! I am glad that I got it out of the way at the beginning, b/c toward the end of my sway I was pretty content and solid in what I had learned and just kind of “went with it”. I did spend a LOT of time on the boards though, I couldn’t stop myself.

-=-=-
OWT/IONS/OTHER STUFF:

Ions, schmions.
Tried Lunaception (was in full moon phase)
Conceived in a great girl month!
Pink fluffy tutu (newborn size) on my bookshelf
Wore a fertility necklace with a pink ribbon tied to it (see my avatar)
Chinese Gender Chart said girl (don’t believe in it, but fun)
Wedding Ring test predicts two girls in my future!

We tried the Lunaception thing – I have a skylight in my bedroom, so DH covered that up and we put heavy blankets on all the windows to block out everything. Then, two cycles before attempt, we used a nightlight to “change” the moon cycles. Forgot about the nightlight some, so it was kind of a half-hearted attempt but it made me feel better...
:giggle:

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! We will be very happy with a princess but honestly, after this sway and talking to so many girl moms I am going to be at a loss of what to do with her if she DOES show up! AND, any egg that travels cross-tube is definitely meant to be, and this bean will be loved no matter what!!!! I will definitely update as soon as we find out what we are having :bigsmile:

BeadinMom
May 18th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Sounds like an AMAZING sway, Ribbons...I hope you get your girl!! You deserve it :)

HopeandDreamG
May 18th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Congrats ribbons! Great job ;)

HappyMedium
May 18th, 2012, 01:47 PM
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! Great sway!!!!!!

pearl
May 18th, 2012, 01:50 PM
GREAT SWAY, Ribbons!!! I hope u get your girl:DD:

dloui128
May 18th, 2012, 03:07 PM
sounds like a great sway, I hope you get your little girl :)

zanacal
May 18th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Love it! All the very best :-)

amari
May 18th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Yay, Ribbons!! I know you're happy to be pregnant and to eat!!

atomic sagebrush
May 20th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Huge congrats!!! Good luck!!!

auroara78
May 21st, 2012, 10:30 AM
Congrats again Ribbons!! I love how you wrote about any egg that travels across is very special!! This little bean really wanted to join your family!!

sweetsister
May 24th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Congrats!!Well done:cheer:

Feeling Blue
May 24th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Good luck!! Hope you get you little girl

myGirl
June 28th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I just realized I forgot to comment on your sway Ribbons! You had an awesome sway down to the last detail, and I really enjoyed reading what you were eating along the way - it always sounded so delicious! I really think this is your girl:HH:

HopeandDreamG
August 30th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Ribbons did you find out what your having yet? Did I miss it?

amari
August 30th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I've been wondering the same thing!

Ribbons
September 11th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Hi, sorry Hope and Amari! I just now saw your posts. I find out TOMORROW at 4:30pm PST!! So nervous!!

BeadinMom
September 11th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Crossing fingers and toes for you, Ribbons!!! Xx

atomic sagebrush
September 11th, 2012, 07:17 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Good luck!!!

Mochagirl
September 11th, 2012, 07:20 PM
I'll be stalking you - good luck!!!

jennaesue
September 11th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Oh, how exciting! We really haven't talked on here, but I have enjoyed your posts (especially the LE diet food posts!) very much. Good luck tomorrow!

sweetpea
September 11th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Ribbons!!! I just remembered that you'll be finding out tomorrow!! I am so excited for you, and can't wait to find out!! Do you have any gut feelings on what you think you're having?

And, I've said it before but I'll say it again: I think you had a fabulous sway! I really hope you hear pink tomorrow, my friend! :)

HopeandDreamG
September 12th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Good luck xxx

Ribbons
September 12th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks everyone :) I have a gut feeling that it's a girl, and so does DH and practically everyone that has "guessed" so far. Even my 3-yr-old DS2 keeps saying he's going to have a sister. Of course, I have a hard time vocalizing that!

I have been trying to imagine "boy" for the past couple of weeks so that I don't totally lose it if that does happen... we will see if we are all wrong!

I'll be posting the results as soon as we walk out of the office for all of you... well, after I call my mom. You guys will be next!

prayforprincess
September 12th, 2012, 09:55 AM
can't wait!

HopeandDreamG
September 12th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Stalking....

sweetpea
September 12th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Any update? Thinking of you, Ribbons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mydream
September 12th, 2012, 08:02 PM
thinking of you! Update?

Ribbons
September 12th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I wish :( still waiting - the doc is late and there is another ultrasound ahead of me. Good thing I have an understanding babysitter!

jennaesue
September 12th, 2012, 08:24 PM
ah, man! Did they make you have a ridiculously full bladder for the scan? I hope not, that would be extra torture while waiting!

prayforprincess
September 12th, 2012, 09:00 PM
pins and needles

HopeandDreamG
September 12th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Thought u got lost in the girl department!!

sweetpea
September 12th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Stalking like crazy.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ribbons
September 12th, 2012, 09:22 PM
It's a boy! But a healthy one at least :) I will update later with details

Myloves
September 12th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Congrats on your boy Ribbons! He will be very much adored :o

Mochagirl
September 12th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Congrats on a healthy, beautiful baby boy! I know I don't have to tell you how amazing boys are. :HH:

Butterfly Spirit
September 12th, 2012, 09:52 PM
:HH: Ribbons, Congrats on the healthy little bundle of blue! :diaper:

He must have really been meant to join your family.
And that momma son bond is worth it's weight in gold, and you get to experience it all over again!

Ribbons
September 12th, 2012, 09:54 PM

I'm actually not sad about it... my poor DH is taking it hard though :(

3Pink1Blue
September 12th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Congrats Hun!!

amari
September 12th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Congrats, ribbons!! I bet he's a cutie!

mydream
September 12th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Ribbons - how wonderful to be adding a boy to your family. He was totally meant to be. I'm so glad your scan went well and he is healthy!!!

auroara78
September 12th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Ribbons, congrats on the healthy boy...like everyone else said, I think he was very determined and very much wanted in on your family...congratulations!!

Ribbons
September 12th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Now you guys have to help me name him... I am at a total loss!!! :)

HopeandDreamG
September 12th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Congrats ribbons on a healthy baby! Glad you and baby are doing well.

hopingforsaskia
September 12th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Aww congrats ribbons!

Names.... I love my boys names -- Eli Reeve and Sullivan Cole.. I also love maverick and rafferty, if I get another boy he'll be Nash Keenan.. That's about all the name advice I've got! Congrats again! :)

bythestream
September 13th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Congratulations, Im sure your new little boy will be adorable. I know what you mean about names, my DH and I took ages to agree on the boys we have, do you like traditional names or out there names? Short or long?

dloui128
September 13th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Congrats on your new little man :)

prayforprincess
September 13th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Congrats!!

ThreeMenAndALAdy
September 13th, 2012, 09:26 AM
If I have a boy his name will be Ian Patrick. I love the name Eli too. Congrats Ribbon.

Ribbons
September 13th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Updated first post :)

Ribbons
September 13th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Congratulations, Im sure your new little boy will be adorable. I know what you mean about names, my DH and I took ages to agree on the boys we have, do you like traditional names or out there names? Short or long?

These are our ridiculous name requirements (well, really mostly DH's requirements LOL)

No Bible names
No "modern" (invented) names
Irish or Scottish descent for the first name
A name that goes with Brown (that's not hard!)

ThreeMenAndALAdy
September 13th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I have quite a few Irish friends. Cian and Callum are their boys names. And they have a Dylan.

sweetpea
September 13th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Ack! I was stalking this thread all yesterday evening, but then my boys, who had started getting sick yesterday, got REALLY sick last night and I've been tending to them all this time, so I missed the update! Aww, Ribbons...sorry you didn't hear girl, but big congratulations on your baby boy! Another little prince to add to the family, how sweet. :)

As for names, my favorite boy name right now is Logan. Hope you guys find a name you love! :awe:

skrimpy
September 13th, 2012, 12:28 PM
So glad you saw a sweet, healthy little one <3

We like Irish names, too. Here are some I like:

Brendan
Keiran
Braden
Colin
Garret (I had a good friend called this so am fond for that reason)
Patrick
Connor

We had a boy name picked already but were feeling lost on the girl names, so I understand where you're coming from!

I'm glad you're feeling good and hugs for your sweet DH. The daddies really like the thought of a little princess, I think :)

jennaesue
September 13th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Congratulations on your little boy! I am glad to hear you are doing okay with it. I do think you gave it your best shot. He was one determined little guy who wanted to be part of your family!

Seamus is a great Irish/Scottish boys names. I actually wanted it for ds3, but decided it would be too difficult for people to figure out how to pronounce. We went with James Conor. (our last name is Scottish)

Rosie85
September 13th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Sorry about the failed sway but congrats on a healthy boy! I have two boys close and age and they are soooooo cute together!! You will love it!

Rosie85
September 13th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Oh and my youngest has an irish name only americanized I guess. It is Declan, people love his name and we get comments all the time :-)

suregena
September 15th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Congratulations, Ribbons! <3 <3 <3 <3

Try nameberry for some handy lists they have on there. Also, nymbler.com is fun.

Ribbons
September 15th, 2012, 09:11 PM
What do you guys think about Quinn Alexander for a name? It means "intelligent defender of mankind"

DH says it reminds him of Superman... LOL

BeadinMom
September 15th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I have a Quinn and I have to say, it is absolutely my FAVORITE name for a little boy. He's 7 and the name just suits him. Different, but awesome :)
It definitely has my vote!!

Ribbons
September 15th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I have a Quinn and I have to say, it is absolutely my FAVORITE name for a little boy. He's 7 and the name just suits him. Different, but awesome :)
It definitely has my vote!!

Different is what I like about it!! Thanks Beadin :)

sweetpea
September 15th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I *love* the name Quinn! :agree:

atomic sagebrush
September 23rd, 2012, 05:50 PM
I'm sorry it didn't work out, but still happy to hear baby is healthy and I also love the name Quinn, we've talked about that for the last 2 boys. Wishing you the very best.

fish2012
November 14th, 2012, 04:05 PM
oh hun that ws a strong sway hope you enjoy the strong lill boy whose battled that to be part of your family!

zanacal
November 19th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Congratulations on your little boy Ribbons. I hope you're doing ok x

Ribbons
November 24th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Congratulations on your little boy Ribbons. I hope you're doing ok x

Thanks zana :) I'm actually doing just fine. I was a little sad at first, but really looking forward to meeting my little man soon. DS2 will have a best friend and that means the world to me! And we've already scheduled HT with Dr. Potter for Spring/Summer 2014, so my dream isn't dead - that helps too :)

auroara78
November 26th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Ribbons, good for you! HT will be so exciting coming up...something to look forward, I'm so nuts, I'm already trying to think of what kind of "sway" I will do (if any) when we try to concieve our final and 4th child in 2014! I'm thinking of trying in April/May/June so that the birthday will be in winter/early spring!

Have you settled in a name yet? My DS1's name is Quinten, and while we spell it a bit differently (it's usually spelled Quinton, or Quentin), he loves, loves his name and loves drawing the Q...so I think Quinn would be awesome.

Ribbons
November 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Ribbons, good for you! HT will be so exciting coming up...something to look forward, I'm so nuts, I'm already trying to think of what kind of "sway" I will do (if any) when we try to concieve our final and 4th child in 2014! I'm thinking of trying in April/May/June so that the birthday will be in winter/early spring!

Have you settled in a name yet? My DS1's name is Quinten, and while we spell it a bit differently (it's usually spelled Quinton, or Quentin), he loves, loves his name and loves drawing the Q...so I think Quinn would be awesome.

Quinn Alexander is the final name... I love Quinten too! That was on our short list but DH really wants the one-syllable thing this time around. I'll be cycling around the same time you are trying, maybe we'll be pg at the same time! :)

babydust
November 29th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Love Quinn Alexander!!

sweetpea
November 30th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I do, too! Awesome name! :agree:

amari
November 30th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Love his name, too!

1adorablebabyboymom
February 9th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I know this is old now, but had you payed for a personalized plan? just curious