PDA

View Full Version : Energy Drinks and DH.... Also smoking question... Drinking

Coccinelle33
January 25th, 2011, 12:04 PM
This started off as 1 post but since I have a few other i'll just do it all in bulk if you don't mind :)

#1.) My dh has been drinking these Redbull years. He started right before #3 (our dd was conceived)... Sometimes he drinks more or less. It's his coffee. He's drinking 1 can a day, right when he gets to work. He works either 4:00 am, 8:00 am, or 12:00 am 6 times a week. By the time we dtd it's normally late like after 8:30 (normally 10-ish)... Is this going to be ok with a girl sway?

#2.) He also just gave up smoking. He's been taking the stop smoking pill Chantix. He's down to 1 cigarette a day but in a week he'll be 100% done. Is this going to hurt our chances at a girl at all? How about being on or coming off the Chantex? He can be on it up to 6 months (which would be another 5 months) but he could stop it today if he feels he's ready. We aiming for May, June, July, August for ttc.

#3.) What are your thoughts on beer? Dh usually has a few after work and normally always before dtd since that's normally when it happens. Would hard liquor be best mixed with diet coke? Im not sure how I could talk him into that but maybe just around those few days a month?

Thanks again :kiss:

Viene
January 25th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Traditionally, it's been best for DH to stay away from caffeine while ttc a girl. I might be a little conservative, but because it takes around 70-90 days for sprem to be produced I like for things to start taking place 3 months prior. Things like frequent release and heat don't have to be started that far in advance though, but I believe things that will internally effect sperm should follow the 3 month rule.

Since he has stopped smoking that will probably help with sperm count and quality, but I don't recommend he go back to smoking just to sway girl again though. There are other ways to lower sperm count that you shoud do regardless of smoking status. I honestly don't know how chantix would effect anything, but just doing a search I am not seeing anything that says it impairs fertility or affects testosterone in a man.

My personal thoughts on beer is that if anything it sways boy. On the other site I did a big post about it, but it has too many good things in it. I would agree that booze mixed with diet caffeine free coke or some kind of diet drink. I would say crystal light, but I'm not sure how that would taste mixed together. Same thing with the booze - 3 month rule if you can.

Coccinelle33
January 25th, 2011, 03:47 PM
thanks for the response. he wont give them up. just cut down to 1 and only early at work. you think it will still effect sperm hours later?

lindi
January 25th, 2011, 04:36 PM
maybe he could drink crappy beer like bud lite instead of a healthier beer?

Coccinelle33
January 25th, 2011, 05:06 PM
he drinks crap beer lol... but i was talking about the red bull in the morning.

atomic sagebrush
January 26th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I agree with what Viene says - traditionally caffeine is part of a blue sway. Caffiene can raise testosterone and increase muscle performance, and makes sperm perky and fast. But at the same time, caffeine can actually lower testosterone in excess over long periods of time. I wouldn't worry about it, after all most people drink caffeine and yet still conceive both daughters and sons. Our neighbor who works with my husband, drinks energy drinks ALL DAY LONG and he has three girls. In an ideal world, yes, he should quit drinking the energy drinks but if he won't and he needs them to get through the day, don't stress about it. Stress = blue!! The good news is that his irregular work schedule and working nights may help sway pink (although my husband works nights and you can see how well that worked for us ;)) I do think that since so many hours pass between when he drinks them and when you DTD that it won't matter for the sperm speed any more anyway.

Good for him to stop smoking! That's awesome! Yes, it's true that smoking does = more girls, but keep in mind that smoking certainly didn't seem to keep him from fathering boys LOL! Even if he was still smoking, he would still have to take steps to lower his sperm count anyway (hot baths, tighty whities, frequent release/abstaining, licorice) so him quitting smoking changes nothing about what you should do. I think he needs to stay on the Chantix as long as he can so he doesn't relapse and resume smoking again. I read about Chantix, and it didn't sound like it swayed either way.

I agree totally with Viene, while alcohol overall does tend to lower testosterone/raise estrogen in men, beer does have so much going for it in terms of B vitamins and potassium that if you can get him to switch to something else, I would def. try. Caffeine-free Diet Coke and rum?? I really think he needs to drink A LOT over a long period of time to lower his testosterone level and that probably wouldn't be very healthy.