PDA

View Full Version : fasting at night = weight loss

atomic sagebrush
May 22nd, 2012, 11:58 AM
Here's a study done in mice that indicates not eating for several hours out of the day, can make you lose weight even if you eat a high fat, high cal diet the rest of the time. Also, cholesterol and blood sugar levels were lowered as well.

Nighttime fasting may foster weight loss - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-fasting-diet-20120518,0,1060110.story)

Hobbermittens
May 22nd, 2012, 12:35 PM
SO this would be good for pink, bad for blue, yes?

atomic sagebrush
May 22nd, 2012, 12:42 PM
Yes, and it's data supporting the eating patterns of both HE and LE Diets so I thought I would share.

HE Diet - bedtime snack and breakfast, meaning one never goes more than 8-10 hours without eating, not even at night

LE Diet - skipping breakfast and avoiding snacks, meaning one regularly goes 12-16 hours without eating at night

LolaInLove
May 22nd, 2012, 12:52 PM
This is really interesting! It would be hard to not eat for 16 hours, though. That would essentially mean that if you ate dinner at 7pm, you could not eat again until 11am.

But this is pretty much what I did most of my 20s when I had my girls. We would eat a healthy dinner at 6pm and then maybe a glass of wine after kids in bed, but not always. I would just drink coffee in the morning, sometimes a banana, as I headed to the gym. I would not really eat until noon though after that. Maybe a protein shake or bar in there late morning, but not a real meal until lunch, which was usually a sandwich or something healthy. I managed to stay really thin all that time, but now that I am in my late 30s, I almost need to do that to not gain weight, even with working out and eating well!

I don't think one could eat junk food for the 8 hour "eating" period and then lose weight, though. I don't think your body would do well with that. You may not gain much weight, but your liver and heart would suffer for sure.

atomic sagebrush
May 22nd, 2012, 05:36 PM
I'm not suggesting this as a tip, I just think it demonstrates that skipping breakfast is a valid sway tactic (it really DOES something biological, at least in mice) and also that all the people who are worried that they eat "too much" or "the wrong foods" during the time they're eating like many of the pink swayers do, can relax and eat the rest of the day, without having to stress or starve themselves during that time. :)

nini
May 23rd, 2012, 07:17 AM
just came across this and wanted to add: a friend with 3 girls and 1 boy (girls came first) never eats after 5pm to keep her (extremely low) weight (this was her diet tip for me bulge eater ha ha)! So this theory was obviously true for her.