PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide between two names!

Zivic-Bubac
May 23rd, 2012, 09:33 AM
Eva or Angelina for my failed sway?

DH is determined her name will be Angelina and I like it, but our last name is long so it might not be a good combination+we have a friend who's daughter name is Angelina. They call her Nina.
DH's great grandmother was Angelina btw.

I like Eva, it was MY great grandmother's name (lol! but that's not the reason!) It's short, effective and ultimately NOT popular which is a bonus.

purplepoet20
May 23rd, 2012, 10:05 AM
How about putting the names together Eva Angelina? It has a nice flow. Other nicknames for Angelina could be Angie, Gel, or Line.

Zivic-Bubac
May 23rd, 2012, 11:14 AM
I like Line or Lina for nickname :happy:

The thing here is, you don't give your child 2 names unless you're very rich and/or very snob, preferably both lol! I'm neither ;) Although it would be nice to be rich LOL!

dloui128
May 23rd, 2012, 11:32 AM
I like Line or Lina for nickname :happy:

The thing here is, you don't give your child 2 names unless you're very rich and/or very snob, preferably both lol! I'm neither ;) Although it would be nice to be rich LOL!

I like the name Lina, I almost called DD1 that but ended up choosing Aleena which sounds similar

purplepoet20
May 23rd, 2012, 12:30 PM
ZB you can pretend to be rich! My DS1 likes Eva more but only because he likes to watch the Wall-e Movie.

dramabird
May 23rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
How about merging them into one name? If you remember the main actress on the show "Lost" ... her first name is Evangeline.

Personally, I don't care for Angelina ... but only because I immediately think "Angelina Jolie." (Nothing wrong with Angeline Jolie, but any time a name gives me an instant association, I am not too fond of it.)

If we had had two girls, the second one would have been named Eve. So I vote Eva. :)

Hobbermittens
May 23rd, 2012, 12:37 PM
I like them both, but I like Angelina more. I like the idea of combining the two as well--Eva Angelina does sound nice! Then you could call her either one. I grew up with an Angelina, and she had a long last name, and it flowed nicely.

purplepoet20
May 23rd, 2012, 12:39 PM
Evangeline is a cute name too!

deaks66
May 23rd, 2012, 12:41 PM
Both beautiful names... god i wish i had the chance to use my girls names! Eva very popular in the UK so i would probably avoid but seeing as its not where you are, i like that one. Also love Angelina.... but not keen on angie so would want to shorten it quickly myself before someone else did! Hope you are doing ok. Im still struggling some days... but they are fewer.

purplepoet20
May 23rd, 2012, 12:42 PM
Maybe you should try the yell it out method.... 1st and last name together.... Like your child just drew on the walls, flushed your wallet full of money down the toilet, or poured something messy in your underwear drawer!

I did this with both my boys first, middle, and last together.

Kiara
May 23rd, 2012, 12:44 PM
I like Angelina!

Zivic-Bubac
May 23rd, 2012, 12:51 PM
ZB you can pretend to be rich!. :rofl:
My girls like Wall-e cartoon too, maybe I could use it to get them on my side :wink:

Zivic-Bubac
May 23rd, 2012, 12:58 PM
Both beautiful names... god i wish i had the chance to use my girls names! Im still struggling some days... .
Say no more...I have ultimately cool boy name chosen before DD1 was born. Am I ever going to use it? :nails:

I'm struggling every day...can't accept the fact I'll be mom to 3 girls.....

Zivic-Bubac
May 23rd, 2012, 01:01 PM
If we had had two girls, the second one would have been named Eve. So I vote Eva. :)Cool! :)
Angelina Jolie isn't my first association and thank God for that lol!
We pronounce Angelina differently, that 'g' should sound like in words 'great' or 'gift'.

zanacal
May 23rd, 2012, 01:16 PM
Is Evangelina an option? Then she could be either!

Mochagirl
May 23rd, 2012, 01:18 PM
I prefer Eva since I like short, simple names for kids. Angelina also has Angelina Jolie connotations for me, as someone else said. I also liked pp's suggestion of Evangeline, though I think if I had to choose between that or just plain Eva I'd choose the latter (though Eva could be short for Evangeline).

begonia
May 23rd, 2012, 01:19 PM
ZB I like Eva best :)

FWIW I STILL can't believe I have THREE daughters and my 3rd is here, LOL! The difference between now and pregnancy though is for the most part I laugh about it, not cry about it. FX the same happens for you once Eva/Angelina arrives!

nini
May 23rd, 2012, 01:47 PM
I love Eva. THe ultimate girls name, love it.

Indira
May 23rd, 2012, 03:43 PM
Eva!
Love it, itīs on our list, too bad it is so popular in many countries.
If your last name is long, I like Eva better than Angelina.
I also like Evangelina, it reminds me of Nanny McPhee! My boys love that movie.

deaks66
May 23rd, 2012, 04:04 PM
Well hopefully like begonia says, come september/october we can laugh about it instead of cry. I had bad day today but keep thinking that one day hearing those words 'its a girl' will be all the more sweeter for waiting for this extra little man to arrive and then plan B to be put in motion!

Yuzu
May 23rd, 2012, 06:00 PM
I like both, but I think I'm going to chose Eva. I love Evangeline! It's on my girl list.

TTC5
May 23rd, 2012, 06:15 PM
Both are beautiful!!!!
I like Angelina, because Ava is so popular now.

Zivic-Bubac
May 24th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Is Evangelina an option? Then she could be either!
Unfortunately no, DH feels it sounds pretentious.
My option was Evangeliya which means 'Gospel' or 'God's messenger' and it's such a beautiful meaning :HH: but it's quite archaic so I'm not sure :think:

atomic sagebrush
May 28th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Eva is very popular where I live but Angelina feels so trendy! I like it a lot better with the "hard G" the way you guys would pronounce it, Z.

zanacal
May 28th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Unfortunately no, DH feels it sounds pretentious.
My option was Evangeliya which means 'Gospel' or 'God's messenger' and it's such a beautiful meaning :HH: but it's quite archaic so I'm not sure :think:

What does DH think of Evangeliya? I like it :D

PeonyPrincess
May 28th, 2012, 07:19 AM
My best friends DD is Eva and I just love that name, and Ava too. I know one lady with a girl called Eva Evangelina. When I read your post I thought how similar to what you are thinking! Except only one name, not two of course. In Australia, 2 names is most common, but I know people with 3 names before their surname too! They must be super duper rich!!
No matter what you decide, it is not too long before you can't imagine them with any other name.

Belle
May 29th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Ooh ZB I come from a European background and I have an auntie Evangeliya with a hard g and silent y and I absolutely love it. Very cute for a baby and beautiful for someone older. But if its out of Angelina or Eva I would choose Angelina.

nestof3
May 29th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I love both but prefer Eva

hlmcdaniels
May 9th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Angelina is so pretty!