PDA

View Full Version : A name that's hard(er) to pronounce?

Ribbons
May 23rd, 2012, 10:30 AM
We are going back and forth on girl name ideas... we originally wanted Sophia Cadence, but after seeing that it topped the #1 slot in the US this year, we've reluctantly decided against Sophia (UGH!)

Another name I love is the Gaelic name Aine (pronounced "on-yah") - I'm a little worried, though, that it will almost always be pronounced wrong on the first try. I don't want my girl to have to constantly correct people when they mispronounce her name... people will likely say "ane", "on-ay" or "ann". But with all the interesting names out there these days, is that really a bad thing?

Now, with boy's names... I am at a loss. I'll have to come back to that one!

atomic sagebrush
May 23rd, 2012, 11:11 AM
I LOVE Aine but I will just give you my two cents on names that are tough to pronounce.

It's hard for some to believe, but my name Kristin used to be considered really odd and unusual when I was growing up - it got popular only after I was already in high school. When I was little, no one could spell or pronounce it and it kinda gave me a complex. I just dreaded telling people my name and the first day of school, camp, etc. was this big ordeal where I would have to spell my name for 10 different people (school secretary, teachers, lunch lady, etc) who all got it wrong and they made this big deal about it, like I was getting on their nerves deliberately for having such a weird name. Like, SIGH, roll eyes, cross out where they had written Christen, and even asking me point blank why my parents hadn't named me Kristi instead. And even after that, people still couldn't pronounce it and I was called Kristine or Kristian, sometimes for months at a time. I had some teachers who would insist on calling me KRIS which I hated. At doctors offices I'd never know if it was my turn to go in because they'd come out and be calling for Kristi. Kids would come up to me and say things like "I don't like your name" and it happened all the time. It seems like a small thing but it really bothered me a lot. I used to pray that I would wake up as Robin or Jill.

Granted, there are a lot more unusual names out there now than in those days, and we also moved a lot so it was more problematic for me than it would be for a kid who stayed at the same school every year, but it was still rough. Behind the scenes I still see people talk about so-and-so with their weird name so I know teachers/doctors/nurses still judge people on their names (maybe even more so).

I really like unusual names, but I ~personally~ would err on the side of a more easy-to-spell variant. Because even when you think you have a pretty common name that's easy to spell and pronounce, people get it wrong anyway. People freaked out when we named our DS 1 Wyatt 20 years ago. I thought it was a well known name and could only be spelled and pronounced just one way but there were tons of people who couldn't say/spell it and had never heard of it.

Zivic-Bubac
May 23rd, 2012, 11:18 AM
I like unique names so I would def go with Aine :agree:
I have a name that is difficult to pronounce, it's Russian and I was constantly called by more usual variant. Never bothered me tho.

Do you know the meaning of the name?

Ribbons
May 23rd, 2012, 11:33 AM
I LOVE Aine but I will just give you my two cents on names that are tough to pronounce.

It's hard for some to believe, but my name Kristin used to be considered really odd and unusual when I was growing up - it got popular only after I was already in high school. When I was little, no one could spell or pronounce it and it kinda gave me a complex. I just dreaded telling people my name and the first day of school, camp, etc. was this big ordeal where I would have to spell my name for 10 different people (school secretary, teachers, lunch lady, etc) who all got it wrong and they made this big deal about it, like I was getting on their nerves deliberately for having such a weird name. Like, SIGH, roll eyes, cross out where they had written Christen, and even asking me point blank why my parents hadn't named me Kristi instead. And even after that, people still couldn't pronounce it and I was called Kristine or Kristian, sometimes for months at a time. I had some teachers who would insist on calling me KRIS which I hated. At doctors offices I'd never know if it was my turn to go in because they'd come out and be calling for Kristi. Kids would come up to me and say things like "I don't like your name" and it happened all the time. It seems like a small thing but it really bothered me a lot. I used to pray that I would wake up as Robin or Jill.

Granted, there are a lot more unusual names out there now than in those days, and we also moved a lot so it was more problematic for me than it would be for a kid who stayed at the same school every year, but it was still rough. Behind the scenes I still see people talk about so-and-so with their weird name so I know teachers/doctors/nurses still judge people on their names (maybe even more so).

I really like unusual names, but I ~personally~ would err on the side of a more easy-to-spell variant. Because even when you think you have a pretty common name that's easy to spell and pronounce, people get it wrong anyway. People freaked out when we named our DS 1 Wyatt 20 years ago. I thought it was a well known name and could only be spelled and pronounced just one way but there were tons of people who couldn't say/spell it and had never heard of it.

Sigh... this is what I am afraid of. The problem is, I also don't want the problem of having a name so common that everyone else is named the same thing (I HATED my name growing up because there were three other girls in my class named Kelly). So, I either find a same that people know and can pronounce, but is too common, OR I have a name that no one knows and can't pronounce. Can't win!

I don't know how else you could spell Aine... it's not Ann or Annie or anything close to that, those names mean completely different things... hmm... decisions! :)

Ribbons
May 23rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
I like unique names so I would def go with Aine :agree:
I have a name that is difficult to pronounce, it's Russian and I was constantly called by more usual variant. Never bothered me tho.

Do you know the meaning of the name?

Yep, I do know the meaning! That's why I love it so much :)

Aine - Ancient Irish name from the noun aine that means “splendor, radiance, brilliance.” Aine is connected with fruitfulness and prosperity. The queen of the Munster fairies was called Aine as was one of the wives of Fionn Mac Cool (read the legend). Aine appears in folktales as “the best-hearted woman who ever lived – lucky in love and in money.”

So she's lucky, gorgeous, kind, successful and well-off :) Can't go wrong with that!

Ribbons
May 23rd, 2012, 11:45 AM
GAH! And then there is this:

People With Easy-To-Pronounce Names More Likely To Succeed, Study Says - Careers Articles (http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/02/09/people-with-easy-to-pronounce-names-more-likely-to-succeed/)

This sucks, because I really love that name! poo.

Perhaps it will even out - my last name is certainly not hard to pronounce (it's a common color), so THAT's certainly not going to be an issue.

purplepoet20
May 23rd, 2012, 12:18 PM
I do have one concern about Aine... pronounced on-yay. What if the boys say "I wanna be ON YA". Maybe you can change the spelling a little so it can't be used in anyway to make fun of her.

My name is Piper... in my life I have met 2 with the same name a 6yo (I was 20) in a ladies bathroom and a dog while on vacation. In elementary school I knew 5 Melissa's, 3 Nicole's, and 2-3 Jennifer's every grade. The names evened out in Jr and Sr High but it was still common to have atleast 2 -3 kids with the same names. I lived in Orange County and Moreno Valley areas most of my life.

I have had people misspell my name or call me something dfferent but 99% of the time I get compliments. I did hate it so much when the show Charmed came out and one of them had my name. In College tons of people had to ask if I was a Witch even with a Cross and Saint Medal around my neck in plain view.

Once while doing a job interview over the phone I was asked if I wanted to say my race/nationality. I said white and the lady said are you sure about because I wouldn't get the job if I lied. I asked her what she thought I was and she commented african american. She said it was because of my name. I had to point out that it was an Irish name. I turned down the job and reported the women.

I decided to do common names for my kids for many reasons. Ever since I was really young I loved the names Journey James and Parrish Max, never had a girls name picked. After becoming pregnant I was afraid of my kids names being seen and thought of as not being normal. I didn't want them to be singled out because they have an odd name. A white boy with an odd name may be a great target for being picked on in school.

nuthinbutpink
May 23rd, 2012, 12:23 PM
She will have to tell everyone how to pronounce her name her entire life. 9/10 will not know that is how you say it and she will be called Aine like AIM with an 'N"- AIN- long A.

dramabird
May 23rd, 2012, 12:31 PM
I don't know how else you could spell Aine... it's not Ann or Annie or anything close to that, those names mean completely different things... hmm... decisions! :)

A thought, if you were to consider an alternate spelling ...

The character on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" had the name you're considering ... but it was spelled Anya. And since it was on a pretty popular show, it's not a completely underheard of name and is pretty much spelled like it's pronounced. (If you hadn't described it phonetically, I would have thought that "Aine" rhymes with "Blaine" ... which probably isn't what you want to hear!)

I looked over on last year's top 1000 baby names on the Social Security website. "Aine" is nowhere to be found, but "Anya" was the 432nd most popular name of the year. So she wouldn't be one of several Anyas in her class, but it's not a completely unknown name either. Heck, that ranking makes it twice as popular as the girl name we like (Ingrid), which ranks in the mid 850s!!

Oh, and per people teasing: I had a college roommate named Sonya and it DID rhyme with "on-ya" and people DID tease her with that ... but in a flirty way rather than a mean-spirited one.

Here's how I see it: If you end up having to pick a girl name, it's a great problem to have ... because it means you had a girl!!!

Hobbermittens
May 23rd, 2012, 12:43 PM
I know an Anja, and I think it is a beautiful name. Why not just use that spelling? It would be easier for people to pronounce. Or Anya?

nuthinbutpink
May 23rd, 2012, 12:44 PM
Anya, I think most would pronounce correctly.

BeadinMom
May 23rd, 2012, 12:58 PM
My boys' all have unique Irish names. I'm not sure how I got talked into that, because I'm very Italian. lol.

My name is odd, too...growing up, I hated it. I was the only person (besides my mother) with my name. I remember always feeling disappointed that I couldn't find inked stamps, stickers, or a license plate for my bike with my name on it. There was every other name in the world, but mine. I would pretend my name was something different...anything but what it was.

My youngest son's name is Quinn...I am still in love with his name. (I have a girlfriend with a daughter named Quinn, too)
Anyway, that's my experience with "different" names. :)
I do agree with Dramabird, I would love to have the "problem" of coming up with a girl's name!!

Ribbons
May 23rd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks everyone :)

Yes, it will be wonderful to have the "problem" of coming up with a girl's name... and I probably shouldn't even be thinking of it now, since we don't know what it is yet LOL! Since we've had the name Sophia in the back of our minds for so long... we are trying to get that name out and another one in...

I'll think about Anya... you're right, everyone will call her Ain (rhymes with Blaine). I totally forgot about that character in Buffy!

Mochagirl
May 23rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
I agree with everyone else that although beautiful, I would have no idea how to pronounce that name if I saw it written down.

My name is Piper... in my life I have met 2 with the same name a 6yo (I was 20) in a ladies bathroom and a dog while on vacation. In elementary school I knew 5 Melissa's, 3 Nicole's, and 2-3 Jennifer's every grade. The names evened out in Jr and Sr High but it was still common to have atleast 2 -3 kids with the same names. I lived in Orange County and Moreno Valley areas most of my life.

PP - you and I must be right around the same age because those were the top 3 names in my classes as well (even though I'm up here in Canada) - to this day I have about 4 close friends named Melissa - it's very confusing!

I think it is hard to find the balance between not too popular and not too unusual. When I had to name my twins I had a terrible time. We didn't find out the gender, so we needed 2 girl names and 2 boy names. We knew the girl names we wanted right away but really had trouble with the boy names. We ended up naming them Evan and Sam, and although it was Sam who I worried would have tons of boys in his classes with the same name as him, it's ended up being Evan who does. Although at the time I named him, I'd never met anyone named Evan, I think that was the very year it became popular for some reason, because now we see Evans EVERYWHERE we go! So far we've only bumped into a small handful of other Sams, and there's never been one in their class.

I know ds3 is going to have problems too because we called him Ryan, and that's a very popular name. I just was finding it so hard to come up with names that sounded good with dh's very Irish last name yet weren't either already used by family or friends (DH has a HUGE family) or wasn't too hard to spell or pronounce. I also felt that after naming Sam and Evan we kind of needed to stick to something simple so it would go with those names.

nini
May 23rd, 2012, 01:44 PM
I think Aine is only possible if living in Ireland, I really dont think it would do the child a favour to have a name that every single teacher would stop bebfore reading and pull a face not knowing how to pronounce it (this is what happened to me :( )... the only reason I know this name is because I lived in Ireland for a while.

but like someone else suggested, why not use Anya as a spelling variation?

Sophia seems to be in the top 3 in every country and continent it appears, it is lovely and timeless though at the same time.

LolaInLove
May 23rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
Anya, I think most would pronounce correctly.

This is my vote, go for an easier spelling. If someone told me their name was (an-ya pronunciation), I would spell it this way. FWIW, my girls have unusual names, but unusual in that they are old-fashioned and not common at all. I had a hard time deciding between unique names that no one had heard of or names that were just uncommon because I didn't want my kids being one of 3 in a class with the same name too. Nothing wrong with it, just my preference. My name was very unique when I was little but now is super popular and little girls everywhere have it. I liked being the only one I knew with my name, so that's why I go with uncommon. I really love Anya or Anye, super pretty! Aine is also, but no one will know how to pronounce or spell it.

Ribbons
May 23rd, 2012, 02:02 PM
This is my vote, go for an easier spelling. If someone told me their name was (an-ya pronunciation), I would spell it this way. FWIW, my girls have unusual names, but unusual in that they are old-fashioned and not common at all. I had a hard time deciding between unique names that no one had heard of or names that were just uncommon because I didn't want my kids being one of 3 in a class with the same name too. Nothing wrong with it, just my preference. My name was very unique when I was little but now is super popular and little girls everywhere have it. I liked being the only one I knew with my name, so that's why I go with uncommon. I really love Anya or Anye, super pretty! Aine is also, but no one will know how to pronounce or spell it.

OOh I like Anye, that is better than Anya in my opinion (spelling it "Anya" changes the meaning completely, as that is of Russian descent, not the original old Irish descent.) I wonder if people would pronounce that "Annie" though? But they would at least make a stab at it...

The problem with most Gaelic names is that they are very hard to pronounce, unless they have been made popular enough for people to recognize them. And I need to go with a Gaelic name. Hence my dilemma. :rolleyes:

purplepoet20
May 23rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
Beadinmom - My cousin named his 4th daughter Quinn and he has an older daughter with a name that is normally a boys name. I think it is cute because they work for either boy or girl.

purplepoet20
May 23rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
PP - you and I must be right around the same age because those were the top 3 names in my classes as well (even though I'm up here in Canada) - to this day I have about 4 close friends named Melissa - it's very confusing!
\

I am going to be 31 this year... I was a year older then the rest of the people in my grades because I mother tried to keep us out of school and didn't try to homeschool.

LolaInLove
May 23rd, 2012, 03:06 PM
OOh I like Anye, that is better than Anya in my opinion (spelling it "Anya" changes the meaning completely, as that is of Russian descent, not the original old Irish descent.) I wonder if people would pronounce that "Annie" though? But they would at least make a stab at it...

The problem with most Gaelic names is that they are very hard to pronounce, unless they have been made popular enough for people to recognize them. And I need to go with a Gaelic name. Hence my dilemma. :rolleyes:

Yea, I personally like that spelling better myself. I don't think anyone will pronounce it Annie, but there are always um, less intelligent people out there who will, even with the easiest names. Overall, I think it is a really pretty version and won't trip the majority of people up.

nuthinbutpink
May 23rd, 2012, 03:15 PM
I think you should ask a friend how they would spell it and I bet they will say Anya. Anye looks like you misspelled any to me.

Mochagirl
May 23rd, 2012, 04:22 PM
I am going to be 31 this year... I was a year older then the rest of the people in my grades because I mother tried to keep us out of school and didn't try to homeschool.

Oh well, there goes that theory - I'm turning 38 this year, so that's quite a difference. Maybe Canada lagged behind the U.S. in naming trends?

zanacal
May 23rd, 2012, 04:31 PM
I think it's a pretty name but I'm afraid I wouldn't have a clue how to pronounce it either. How about Orla?

Butterfly Spirit
May 23rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
I'd like to throw a unique A one out there.. Alayna. :)

Irishmom
May 23rd, 2012, 05:50 PM
Yep, I do know the meaning! That's why I love it so much :)

Aine - Ancient Irish name from the noun aine that means “splendor, radiance, brilliance.” Aine is connected with fruitfulness and prosperity. The queen of the Munster fairies was called Aine as was one of the wives of Fionn Mac Cool (read the legend). Aine appears in folktales as “the best-hearted woman who ever lived – lucky in love and in money.”

So she's lucky, gorgeous, kind, successful and well-off :) Can't go wrong with that!

Hi Ribbons. I have 3 friends called Áine. In Ireland we pro-nounce it Awwn-yah, As there is a fada over the 'A'. It is a lovely name but i would imagine outside of Ireland it would be hard for others to pronounce.

How about Enya(N-ya), Anais(Ann-a), Asha, or Ashling.:)

Cinss
May 23rd, 2012, 06:21 PM
I think you should spell it how it is supposed to be said. We did this with my daughter, there is an American version of her name and a flower version, but we spelt it the Australian way, you cant really get it wrong even though it is unusual. I would spell your name Anya, and i think that is a very unusual beautiful name.

Ribbons
May 23rd, 2012, 08:28 PM
I'm having a really hard time letting go of the spelling, because any other way makes it an entirely different meaning.

Maybe I should just go with Sophia after all... and we could make Aine a middle name... I'd start out calling her Aine, but she could always change it to Sophia if it caused problems!

I was getting all excited about the name Esme too... then I realized it was in Twilight. So, scratch that...

Naming girls = hard!

BeadinMom
May 23rd, 2012, 08:31 PM
Girl names I had lined up for my boys - Sadie, Mackenzie, Olivia
Unfortunately never had a chance to use them...and now they're off my list anyway.
If anyone wants them, they're yours for the taking. LOL

ThroughWithBlue
May 23rd, 2012, 09:14 PM
I have a friend whose daughter is named an-yah but I have no idea how she spells it. It's a pretty name, but I wouldn't do that spelling. You'll be correcting it your whole life. And in school teachers and such will be mispronouncing it.

HopeandDreamG
May 23rd, 2012, 09:21 PM
I do have one concern about Aine... pronounced on-yay. What if the boys say "I wanna be ON YA". Maybe you can change the spelling a little so it can't be used in anyway to make fun of

[QUOTE]

This is EXACTLY what I was going to post. That is just what the boys are going to say. My first thought exactly

Ribbons
May 23rd, 2012, 11:14 PM
omg great site! I didn't know this existed. There's even a section toward the bottom where people put comments of exactly how they were bullied/etc with their name. (Interestingly, no one with the spelling "Aine" reported the "get up ON YA" sexual reference bullying, but they did for the spellings Ania and Anya - not to say it doesn't happen, but using the other spellings certainly aren't going to help in that regard!)

Aine | Should You Name Your Baby Boy or Girl Aine | Baby Names World (http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/suitability_of_Aine.html)

I'm storing this site in my back pocket!

LolaInLove
May 24th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I'm having a really hard time letting go of the spelling, because any other way makes it an entirely different meaning.

Maybe I should just go with Sophia after all... and we could make Aine a middle name... I'd start out calling her Aine, but she could always change it to Sophia if it caused problems!

I was getting all excited about the name Esme too... then I realized it was in Twilight. So, scratch that...

Naming girls = hard!

I know, I've always loved Esme (my ex hated it, so our girls got different names, but this DH loves it) and then there ya go, a stupid fad movie goes and ruins it! I just can't name after a popular movie or celeb that is hot at the time, I am not good with the comments.

auroara78
May 27th, 2012, 11:50 AM
We named DS1 Quinten and as you can plainly see that is an unusual spelling for Quentin/Quinton, but to me Quinten just fit him perfectly, and I'm sure he will have to a time spelling it out because everyone's gonna want to spell "quinton"

My husband has a very common name with an unusal spelling. He has to spell his name for everyone because how its spelled is different than ppl would think to pronounce. Besides that, he was the one who really wanted to give Quinten a unique spelling.

Evan we stuck to easy to spell and pronouce, Lillian will be easy. Quinten's so proud of his name, he tells everyone he meets "i'm quinten" i just hope he still loves it.

I hated my name growing up (Virginia) because I was the only one I knew with the name plus I also lived in the state of the same name. I got teased for it a lot "Your mom named you after the state???" which I wouild reply, "no it's a family name" (grandmother's). Once i got out of school though, I really embraced it and I've take ownership of it.

Unique names/spellings are so tricky...they may go perfectly or they make make the child upset!

atomic sagebrush
May 28th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Anya? ETA I just read the rest of the thread and I see several other people suggested this. I do think Aine looks prettier somehow tho.

atomic sagebrush
May 28th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Quinten is easy to pronounce tho, don't you think?? For me it wasn't just the spelling thing, it was the spelling and pronouncing and there were SOOO many ways to spell and mispronounce Kristin.

I do think any unusual name is probably easier to pull off now than it once was, simply because there are so many unusual names out there now. It is probably a lot less an issue than it once was.

zanacal
May 28th, 2012, 04:39 AM
It depends where you live too - in the town where we live anything seems to go!!

Ribbons
May 28th, 2012, 09:31 AM
It depends where you live too - in the town where we live anything seems to go!!

Yep - this is another reason why I might be able to pull it off... I live in Santa Cruz, CA, where names like "Rainbow", "Thor" and "Strawberry" are commonplace :)

auroara78
May 28th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I do like the spelling of it Anya...I think it lends itself to being better pronounced in that form.

LolaInLove
May 29th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Yep - this is another reason why I might be able to pull it off... I live in Santa Cruz, CA, where names like "Rainbow", "Thor" and "Strawberry" are commonplace :)

LOL! I say go for it, then! I do like the Aine spelling, it is kind of a cooler version, although I do like Anya or Anye also. See, where I live, it would not be very well accepted to name a baby Pilot Inspektor or some crazy thing like that.

suregena
June 4th, 2012, 09:05 AM
My son's name is "unusual" I guess but still rather normal, but we've had every reaction imaginable to it, like my older brother saying, "You're not going to name him THAT are you?!" (We had the name picked out years before we got pregnant with him!)
We also ALWAYS get, "Is he named after Otis Redding?"

We say, "No, he's named after and for his own self!"

People like to think they are being clever, don't they? :P

LolaInLove
June 4th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Suregena, I think I remember seeing your son's names somewhere and they are awesome!

suregena
June 4th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks! :D

atomic sagebrush
June 5th, 2012, 09:41 PM
My son's name is "unusual" I guess but still rather normal, but we've had every reaction imaginable to it, like my older brother saying, "You're not going to name him THAT are you?!" (We had the name picked out years before we got pregnant with him!)
We also ALWAYS get, "Is he named after Otis Redding?"

We say, "No, he's named after and for his own self!"

People like to think they are being clever, don't they? :P

I prob. mentioned this before but we took SO much flak for naming Wyatt, Wyatt 20+ years ago, and now it's one of the top names in the country! People don't know what they're talking about anyway!

ILindGurl
June 26th, 2012, 09:04 AM
personally I love names that are unique for girls. and I wouldn't worry too much about pronunciation...i never minded having to keep pronouncing my name and spelling it over and over as a child. my mom is from france and so she gave me one of the most popular girl's names in France the year I was born. I knew 10 of them over there...but I was the only one with my name up until college (there was 1 other girl in over 10,000 students and she spelled it differently). Very few people seemed to know the name growing up (even though it's really not that unusual) and would mis-pronounce it and a few kids even made fun of it in 3rd/4th grade because it was so "weird". 40 years later, it is now SOOO popular in the United States. I remember when I started college, suddenly instead of having to spell over and over or repeat my name, people would say "what a beautiful name"...I guess I should have known then it would explode. Now I take my boys to the playground and it always freaks me out when I turn around only to find a parent calling their little girl!

So like Atomic said....you can pick it now and people can hate it...and years later it becomes a hit (and you are a trend setter!).

ok, I know you are curious. My name is Isabelle.

Pangea
June 26th, 2012, 09:23 AM
My cousin is American and he called his daughter Aine. Where I'm living now people pronounce it Awnya because of the fada, but where my family are from in Donegal they don't pronounce the fada so it's pronounced Ah-nya, I imagine my cousin pronounces it that way.

Ribbons
June 26th, 2012, 09:45 AM
We would definitely pronounce it Ah-nya as that is what people who hear it will repeat... I can't imagine Americans naturally adding the fada, so at least we'll make it kind of easier for everyone :)

Now if I could just get everyone to stop naming their daughters Sophia, we'd be in business! LOL

Hobbermittens
June 26th, 2012, 05:05 PM
What's a fada?

Ribbons
June 26th, 2012, 05:21 PM
It's the Irish term for an acute accent. (From Wikipedia: Irish: á, é, í, ó, ú are the long equivalents of the vowels a, e, i, o, u. The accent is known as a síneadh fada /ˌʃiːnʲə ˈfadˠə/ (length accent), usually abbreviated to fada.)

The traditional spelling is Áine but I wouldn't do that here in the states.

CherryBlossom
June 26th, 2012, 11:58 PM
I think the spelling is pretty. I'll confess I wouldn't have a clue how to pronounce it ( till now). I also like the other spellings also. Personally your child your way! If you an dh like that name thb you spell and pronounce it that way =). People are tattoo judgmental these days!

I mean after I had my first ds1. I had people screw up their noses at us due to the spelling of his name. I'd say it's a traditional/common name. Just a letter missing. We named him ADEN. Pronounced ay-den. Same way you say ayden aiden Aidan etc. impossible to find things with his name on it but I cant stand the spelling of Aden with a I a y I like but my some looked fierce when born and I found the y was too soft for him. But I had people pm me asking me how I pronounce it. My partner had a bloke at work tell him that we shouldn't mess with our kids names an keep the spelling how it's meant to be.
There's no RULE BOOK!!! I mean I you spelt it really of like ayydehhn. Then yeah, very hard for the child. But no one has that say but you and dh. =)

Atomic. I love your name!!! I've even considered it for a girls name. But I have a good friend with that name. Not sure why people couldn't pronounce it though! Or spell it? So pretty and nice. Maybe its just a popular name in Australia?
When I was at school no one else had my name. Especially not with my spelling. Just unheard of. People still spell it wrong or ask but meh. My name is Abby. It's when people pronounce it uh-bee that kind of annoys me. A-bee is how I pronounce it.
Same as my last name. Everyone pronounces it with a u rather than a o =/

I must say this. Sophia is a pretty name. I *think* many names become popular due to tv shows and singers. The name Sophia became significantly popular whb the tv show teen mom was aired. Same goes with the names maci, allyah (sp?) etc.
I do like known names but I rather then be further down the liked list than number 1 for my kids =)

Best of luck. Xo

auroara78
June 27th, 2012, 02:38 PM
ok, I know you are curious. My name is Isabelle.

YES! I was curious! In French Class in high school I had thing for the name Cosette, but my French teacher told me Cosette was a bad name because of the book by Victor Hugo, and that people in France associated with being "poor" or "dirty." I wrote this book in high school and named the main charater Cozette (I loved it anyway!) and my lunch table would read it, and instead of finding all the soap opera hijinks unbelievable, they found the name too unbelievable! "no one in the us would name a child that name!" LOL

I love it how even characters in a book get their names critizied too! My French name was Sophia, because I didn't want to use the French variant of my real name...my name is Virginia, and the french variant is Virginie, which I've heard was/is in the top 20 of girl names!

suregena
June 27th, 2012, 02:59 PM
We would definitely pronounce it Ah-nya as that is what people who hear it will repeat... I can't imagine Americans naturally adding the fada, so at least we'll make it kind of easier for everyone :)

Now if I could just get everyone to stop naming their daughters Sophia, we'd be in business! LOL

Was it you I was talking about Buffy to?

We're now up to Buffy and have seen Anya now... I dig her! :P (We're actually early on in season 4... a lot to get used to... it feels like a different show now.)

/off topic... sort of! :D

suregena
June 27th, 2012, 03:02 PM
YES! I was curious! In French Class in high school I had thing for the name Cosette, but my French teacher told me Cosette was a bad name because of the book by Victor Hugo, and that people in France associated with being "poor" or "dirty." I wrote this book in high school and named the main charater Cozette (I loved it anyway!) and my lunch table would read it, and instead of finding all the soap opera hijinks unbelievable, they found the name too unbelievable! "no one in the us would name a child that name!" LOL

I love it how even characters in a book get their names critizied too! My French name was Sophia, because I didn't want to use the French variant of my real name...my name is Virginia, and the french variant is Virginie, which I've heard was/is in the top 20 of girl names!

Well, with my son's name, Otis,... people have ALL SORTS of preconceptions/ideas about it. I do point out to ALL of them that it is actually a German name, and isn't tied to a particular anybody.

Ribbons
June 27th, 2012, 07:03 PM

We're now up to Buffy and have seen Anya now... I dig her! :P (We're actually early on in season 4... a lot to get used to... it feels like a different show now.)

Yep - it was me :) Season 4 was one of my favorite seasons!! And you'll dig Anya more later on, her character really develops over time (as they all do). Just as a note since you're almost there: I thought season 5 wasn't as good as the rest, but after that it gets REALLY good.

suregena
June 28th, 2012, 03:44 AM
That's what I've heard! We're also watching Angel season 1 alongside Buffy season 4.

Waiting4Daisy
June 28th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Deleted

atomic sagebrush
July 1st, 2012, 01:00 PM

It was probably me LOL, I am a Buffy fanatic. That is a good thing about having a girl for me because Buffy used to give me such raging GD I couldn't bear to watch it any more. :p

atomic sagebrush
July 1st, 2012, 01:01 PM
That's what I've heard! We're also watching Angel season 1 alongside Buffy season 4.

Agh you can't do that because there is some crossover there!! ;)