PDA

View Full Version : Which painkillers are safe during ovulation?

Kiara
May 23rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
I have a terrible headache and paracetamol doesn't help. (Lately I get migraine close/during ovulation) is there anything else that I can take that doesn't interfere with ovulation? I cheated two days ago and took advil and it helped but I don't want to ruin my chances to become pregnant.

Butterfly Spirit
May 23rd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Probably nobody will agree with me, but I always took Motrin for my horrible headaches, all throughout both of my pregnancies. My sister-in-law caved and did that as well and she had no problems. It's all about personal preference.
Much better than having to take a narcotic for such pain! And I don't think it's a good idea to suffer such pain while being prego. That's JMO though.
My friend who just became pregnant is suffering from sciatica, and told me she was in agony and was taking Lortab to sleep and I about fell off of my chair... I said Motrin is MUCH safer than a narcotic! Luckily she had only done it one night.

I hope that you find relief and feel better soon.

Waiting4Daisy
May 23rd, 2012, 04:57 PM
Deleted

BeadinMom
May 23rd, 2012, 04:57 PM
My doctors told me absolutely NOT to take ibuprofen during my pregnancies. It can cause heart defects in fetuses.

myGirl
May 23rd, 2012, 06:05 PM
I have to agree with not taking Ibuprofen during pregnancy... I get migraines and my OB said I could use Excedrin for occasional migraines, but not everyday. If that didn't work, I was to come in to his office to get a shot of a Narcotic.

During my last PG, I had a weird complication that caused horrible bladder pain. I was given Vicodin to take daily from 9 weeks until I delivered. I think if an Dr. thinks a narcotic is safer than ibuprofen, then ibuprofen must be pretty risky.

I dont know if you live in the US but if you can get any Excedrin where you live, that's what I would take (no more than one dose a day). Excedrin is composed of aspirin, acetaminophen and caffeine. It works well for some types of migraines.

I feel for you, I get lots of migraines, and I've stopped the ibuprofen while ttc... And you are right, the acetaminophen just doesn't work on migraines!! Hope you feel better soon!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTC5
May 23rd, 2012, 06:08 PM
Mersyndol or anything codeine based is ok. Avoid ibobrufen.

Kiara
May 23rd, 2012, 08:42 PM
Thank you all for your answers!!!! Do you think I ruined my chances of becoming pregnant becuase of the advil max i took like two days before o? Now I am only taking paracetamol.

BeadinMom
May 23rd, 2012, 08:46 PM
Oh no! I'm sorry, I misunderstood...you can take ibuprofen now, you just can't have it when you finally become pregnant (according to my doctors anyway).

myGirl
May 23rd, 2012, 09:16 PM
There is a thread here somewhere (can't link it b/c of my phone) but if you search for "medications that sway girl thread" or just ibuprofen it should be there.

It was discussed that ibuprofen sways girl b/c it dries CM, but we were warned not to take it on O day. You are probably fine since you took it a few days before O. Here is what was said:

"I have heard several times from different sources that you should not take ibuprofen at all if you want to become pregnant. It can keep you from getting pregnant because it is anti-inflammatory. At least you should not take it right on ovulation. =/"

Don't let this worry you... I think it is only large quantities that we need to avoid, and avoid it on O day especially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LolaInLove
May 29th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I was given Lortab after I had DD1 (c-section)...the doc said it's ok while nursing, so probably ok during pregnancy, but I would definitely ask your doc since they have new info on drugs and their classes for pregnancy all the time. FWIW, I was working out like a fiend when I conceived both of my girls, and took Aleve on a pretty regular basis because of old knee injuries from sports. That one is naproxen sodium.