PDA

View Full Version : Protecting yourself on FB!

nuthinbutpink
January 25th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I am increasingly unsure of FB and privacy concerns and saw this on Yahoo today-

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/111929/stealth-mode-making-yourself-nearly-invisible-on-facebook

nuthinbutpink
January 25th, 2011, 05:09 PM
There is actually an option in there to be able to keep people from ever seeing your mobile phone number, address, etc. assuming you have entered it in there! You have to choose Custom so you can then Select Only Me from the list of options- it's hidden...tricky.

Catch!
January 25th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Yah I have recently cut my FB down to 31 people for those sort of reasons. I would love to get rid of it, it's just the easiest way to share photos with family that is far. That's all I keep it for now though.

chachamama
January 25th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I'm super close to just deleting my facebook page - not only for privacy reasons, but it also annoys me how impersonal it has made some of my relationships. I guess I'm getting more old school as I age... LOL

anxiousandready
January 26th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Have you ever tried to delete FB? Its so weird...it goes on about "are you sure you will be ok not being in contact with friend A or friend B?" Its like it tries to give you the guilt treatment! :rofl:

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
January 26th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I am not on facebook and will not be. I am just not the social type. If people contacted me from school or people I knew I would not want to be bothered. If I did want to be in contact with them, I would have stood in contact with them. I liked myspace better but only had a few friends on there.

Most I did see on there from my dh's account flaunt everything. And everything you do says facebook, twitter etc.

Bee Shine
January 26th, 2011, 09:01 PM
we use facebook for business purposes and it works great!

skrimpy
January 26th, 2011, 09:16 PM
My business has a FB fan page, and I also love that I can keep up with family on Facebook... it's a little hard to know where to draw the line though. I have some girls from here on FB, and some of my old schoolmates... but others I don't feel comfortable adding. I do have everything locked down and have made sure of keeping it locked down to just friends - mostly because I don't care to have my big kids' bio-dad trying to poke into their lives. But it's probably good for many other reasons.