PDA

View Full Version : Gut feelings

Hobbermittens
May 26th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I have a gut feeling that this baby is a girl. I have no basis for this aside from what I feel. OWTs have been about 50/50 and I haven't found out gender through ultrasound or anything. My gut feelings were right about my first two children, but wrong about my 3rd, so I wonder if I am right this time.

Have you had gut feelings on gender with your pregnancies, and were you right?

Butterfly Spirit
May 26th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Can I ask you what you felt your baby was on the day of your BFP?

It seems from what I've seen that first gut feeling is good... then as the scan gets closer it changes.

For example...TTC5 felt it was a boy on day one but her gut said girl right before her scan.

I think it's a boy. :) And I can't wait to find out!

Ribbons
May 26th, 2012, 04:39 PM
All of my gut feelings have been right so far... I really, really wanted a girl both times, but I knew they were boys. (I "knew" my ectopic was a girl, but I'll never know for sure.)

I honestly don't know with this one. I've tried to sort it out in my mind, but I really have no idea. I think it's something of a mental block, because I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up.

Indira
May 26th, 2012, 04:45 PM
For me it was the opposite.
With Ds2 the day I tested I felt girl very strongly.
Then as the pregnancy proceeded, my symptoms, bump and OWT were all so similar as with DS1, that by 16 weeks I was absolutely sure it was a boy. When I had the scan I was so sure he would say boy, it was just a formality as I already knew what gender he was.

It is hard to know what is really your gut feeling, I think it is determined a lot by rational thoughts and emotions, like not wanting to get your hopes up, or for people that have no experiences with GD, by their hopes and naive feeling it is going to be their turn.

:luck::xy::luck::xy::luck::xy::luck:

Butterfly Spirit
May 26th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I thought both my boys would be girls. I never pictured having even one boy since I grew up in an all girl family.
With DS#2 the feeling was even stronger. Well, I was wrong! :)

Hobbermittens
May 26th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Can I ask you what you felt your baby was on the day of your BFP?

It seems from what I've seen that first gut feeling is good... then as the scan gets closer it changes.

For example...TTC5 felt it was a boy on day one but her gut said girl right before her scan.

I think it's a boy. :) And I can't wait to find out!

I can't say for sure, because I was swaying, and there was so much riding on this--it is our last baby, and my only chance to try swaying and hopefully get it right! So I guess I have been scared since the get go that it wouldn't work, and that may have clouded my judgment. There were times in the early days that I did think it was a boy, but then the feelings of it being a girl took over, and now I just can't shake it.

Butterfly Spirit
May 26th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I can't say for sure, because I was swaying, and there was so much riding on this--it is our last baby, and my only chance to try swaying and hopefully get it right! So I guess I have been scared since the get go that it wouldn't work, and that may have clouded my judgment. There were times in the early days that I did think it was a boy, but then the feelings of it being a girl took over, and now I just can't shake it.

I'm so sorry. :(
I wish you knew because then you wouldn't have to put yourself through this..you could have acceptance and closure.

You are a wonderful strong lady...and I hope your gut is wrong! :)

RedCanoe
May 26th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I had a strong gut feeling DS1 would be a boy and was right (I had no gender preference.) I had no idea with DS2 (no gender preference). I swayed pink with DS3 and deep down really thought I was going to have a girl. Things just felt like they were falling into place with swaying, everything felt right for having a girl. Nope. So I'm batting about 50/50, which is pretty much what you would expect, statistically, lol. :P

Hobbermittens
May 26th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I'm so sorry. :(
I wish you knew because then you wouldn't have to put yourself through this..you could have acceptance and closure.

You are a wonderful strong lady...and I hope your gut is wrong! :)

Don't be sorry! I would much rather be in this limbo of not knowing gender, than to KNOW for certain that the baby is a girl. At least now I can dream, you know? And once the baby is here, if it really is a girl,then I will accept that so much better when handed a baby in the delivery room.

I am still enjoying feeling the baby kick and stuff, and all of that was ruined by GD last time, so I really am not in a bad place right now at all.

Butterfly Spirit
May 26th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Don't be sorry! I would much rather be in this limbo of not knowing gender, than to KNOW for certain that the baby is a girl. At least now I can dream, you know? And once the baby is here, if it really is a girl,then I will accept that so much better when handed a baby in the delivery room.

I am still enjoying feeling the baby kick and stuff, and all of that was ruined by GD last time, so I really am not in a bad place right now at all.

That's good!!! :)

Butterfly Spirit
May 26th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Silly Q, but do you think your hubby has watched the dvd?

Hobbermittens
May 26th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Silly Q, but do you think your hubby has watched the dvd?

No, he has no idea where I hid it. Plus, I doubt he would be able to know what anything was. He doesn't get u/s pictures at all.

Butterfly Spirit
May 26th, 2012, 05:06 PM
No, he has no idea where I hid it. Plus, I doubt he would be able to know what anything was. He doesn't get u/s pictures at all.

Right right LOL, I thought you were gonna say that you hid it!!! :)

My hubby is clueless too.

Hobbermittens
May 26th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Also, DH really loves surprises, and would be disappointed to find out before hand--not because of gender or GD issues, but just because he loves that moment in the delivery room when you see who your baby is. SO he really wouldn't even WANT to watch the DVD anyway. :)

Indira
May 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Yeah, DH came along at my 30 weeks ultrasound for the first time this pregnancy, he would prefer to find out but had to promise to not ask before he could come :) and he kinds of prefers another boy.
IŽm sure he thought he would spot a peepee under influence of my FIL who keeps telling us that being team green is impossibile because you will see the gender at some point at a scan.
Well, when we left he was flabbergasted and said ŽI didnŽt see anything! the only thing I recognised was the spineŽ:)

Butterfly Spirit
May 26th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Also, DH really loves surprises, and would be disappointed to find out before hand--not because of gender or GD issues, but just because he loves that moment in the delivery room when you see who your baby is. SO he really wouldn't even WANT to watch the DVD anyway. :)

That is cool! In the past I would want to know so I can shop. Because I just LOVE to shop, even if I don't have money at the time! haha
But this time when I get prego again I was thinking of doing a gender party.. not finding out and then have the bakery bake the cake and have everyone find out together. And DH was like.. "WE would find out, not them..we would know at the party and they would find out." and I'm like "kay." LOL He was excited about the baby, even though he wouldn't admit it.

Hobbermittens
May 26th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Yeah, DH came along at my 30 weeks ultrasound for the first time this pregnancy, he would prefer to find out but had to promise to not ask before he could come :) and he kinds of prefers another boy.
IŽm sure he thought he would spot a peepee under influence of my FIL who keeps telling us that being team green is impossibile because you will see the gender at some point at a scan.
Well, when we left he was flabbergasted and said ŽI didnŽt see anything! the only thing I recognised was the spineŽ:)

Honestly I didn't know what I was looking at either for my first 2 babies, and by the 3rd I had researched it too much, and now I can spot gender a mile away. It is hard to tell unless you know what you are looking for!

Butterfly Spirit
May 26th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Honestly I didn't know what I was looking at either for my first 2 babies, and by the 3rd I had researched it too much, and now I can spot gender a mile away. It is hard to tell unless you know what you are looking for!

I still don't get the 12 wk nub business! hahaha :)

Hobbermittens
May 26th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I still don't get the 12 wk nub business! hahaha :)

I am not good with nubs either, but later scans I can see the gender, like 20 week scans.

girlmom
May 26th, 2012, 07:34 PM
my gut feelings were wrong with all of mine. i always thought boys and this time i swore i was having dd8.

BeadinMom
May 26th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Maybe this can help, Hobbermittens...
I'm not even pregnant yet and my gut feeling is my next baby will be a boy. LOL.

I don't think our "gut" has anything to do with it...sometimes I think we psych ourselves out...sometimes wishful thinking takes over. I don't think there's anyway to know what you're carrying until you have an u/s and even then, sometimes it's not until the baby actually gets here that we know with complete certainty what the gender is.

Don't worry yourself too much...I think you've got a boy cooking in there ;)

Myloves
May 26th, 2012, 08:02 PM
It's a boy you're having Hobbermittens! I have a feeling :).

I think deep down I knew I was having a boy with my first, but I kept saying it was a girl in a way to get rid of that feeling. With my second I thought I was having a girl, and with my third I tried my best to block out any gut feelings to save myself from disappointment.

skrimpy
May 26th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I have been wrong with all but one of mine... I had a gut feeling that my 3yo, a sway, was a boy. Really, though, with Honor I kept hoping she would be a boy but I had a feeling deep down that she was a girl.

But with all the others I was wrong, lol, and I don't really trust my gut feelings. This time I feel like it's a boy and I have even gotten some blue baby stuff... But I think I'll start second-guessing myself and worrying as the day gets closer to find out :/

mydream
May 26th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I think it's just nerves/anxiety. I know the feelings you are having. I sware I thought ds2 was a girl and my gut kept telling me girl and he was a boy. Hang in there I'm sure it will be a boy.

TTC5
May 26th, 2012, 10:56 PM
From the very very start my heart just knew this was a baby boy... have never felt it so strong before.. and what really stood out was my 3d scan at 12 weeks, to me, it just looked soooo boyish..

But my head kept telling me NO, it is another girl which I think was to save me from any GD and being let down "again".. IYKWIM?

I guess I just could not let myself believe my own intuition despite deep deep down feeling a strong pull to this being a boy.

Myloves
May 26th, 2012, 11:53 PM
I think it's just nerves/anxiety. I know the feelings you are having. I sware I thought ds2 was a girl and my gut kept telling me girl and he was a boy. Hang in there I'm sure it will be a boy.

Congrats on your pregnancy mydream! I hope this one's your girl.

Zivic-Bubac
May 27th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Hobbi, you're having a boy.

I've had the strongest gut feeling my DD1 was a boy, I KNEW it on a deeper level, with whole my being. I KNEW u/s results were wrong and I was waiting confident in mother's intuition for a delivery room surprise. Oh well....She was all girl, I've had GD but very, very mild compared to what I'm feeling now.

My first gut feeling with this failed sway was BOY. Guess I'm just not talented....

Journey2dFuture
May 27th, 2012, 08:06 AM
My first thought was boy and a boy is what he is.
I haven't done any of the old wives tales. :/

atomic sagebrush
May 28th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I had a strong and undeniable feeling that DS 1 was a boy - he was.
I ahd a strong and undeniable feeling that DS 3 was a girl - not so much.

No strong feelings either way with DS 2 and 4.

I did have a feeling that DD was DD but I put absolutely NO stock into it. I've seen SO many of the feelings turn out to be wrong that I just don't buy into them any more.

pinkin2011
May 28th, 2012, 06:49 PM
With ds I had a very strong feeling he was a boy from day 1!!!

With this one have felt girl The whole time But I am not sure if that is because I swayed and just feel that way.. Plus everything is pointing to boy anyway!!! so I dont believe in it really either!

dloui128
May 28th, 2012, 06:58 PM
with DD1 I really didn't have a feeling either way, with DD2 I knew she was a girl I just felt it, if that makes sense. With this pregnancy the minute I POAS I had a really strong feeling it was a boy, but as time went on I kept thinking maybe its a girl, but I think its just me preparing myself in case it is DD3. I guess we'll see in 6 months whether my gut feeling is right or not

auroara78
May 29th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Diolu and Hobbers...you ladies are having baby boys!!

With DS1, I didn't have a feeling per se, but I didn't think there was anything OTHER than a girl he could be. I mean, seriously, I didn't even contemplate or THINK we'd have a boy, I just assumed girl, so when they said "boy" and my husband excitedly smacked my leg (because he really, really wanted a boy) I felt like his smack was this huge wakeup call, like a drench of water falling on my head! I had been a health crisis a few weeks before and kept referring to the baby as "she" so it took some adjusting!

With DS2, from the very beginning when I POAS, I wanted to believe girl so badly, but I just felt he was a boy. (Part of that was knowing I BD'ed on O day and I believed very firmly in Shettles back then ...mostly because I knew DS1 came from BD on O day) so I felt he was going to be a boy, and the night before the U/S I was sick in bed because I KNEW what I was going to hear.

This time I knew from the beginning it was going to be a girl. At times, I'd question my sway and my faith and be like 'really?' but deep down I just knew this baby was my Lillian.

So I personally do believe in gut feelings, but I do believe fear can conceal the gut feeling, or you can even 'talk' yourself out of your deep gut feeling.

dloui128
May 29th, 2012, 12:45 PM

I love you :)

LolaInLove
May 29th, 2012, 01:05 PM
For me it was the opposite.
With Ds2 the day I tested I felt girl very strongly.
Then as the pregnancy proceeded, my symptoms, bump and OWT were all so similar as with DS1, that by 16 weeks I was absolutely sure it was a boy. When I had the scan I was so sure he would say boy, it was just a formality as I already knew what gender he was.

It is hard to know what is really your gut feeling, I think it is determined a lot by rational thoughts and emotions, like not wanting to get your hopes up, or for people that have no experiences with GD, by their hopes and naive feeling it is going to be their turn.

:luck::xy::luck::xy::luck::xy::luck:

ITA with this, because EVERYONE kept telling me they were sure DD2 was a boy, and I think I heard it so much that I believed it. Especially heard from my husband at the time, who never wanted girls. But every time I would think about the baby being a boy, it just didn't feel "right" if you know what I mean. Just like when we were about to buy a new house recently....I just didn't feel it, and in the past, I've really felt a belonging in a home that we were looking at. This may be all rubbish, but ya know, I feel this way about us getting pregnant someday...and sadly, I just don't feel it. But I think Indira is also right about you wanting to protect yourself from GD. I would do the same thing, honestly, although I doubt I could stay team green!

atomic sagebrush
May 29th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I just remembered one time I had a strong and undeniable feeling that if I bought a lottery ticket, I was going to win. It was stronger than my feelings with DS1, DS3, or this baby. It was SO strong and came from out of the blue, I hadn't been thinking about it or anything, it just popped into my head one day. Needless to say, I didn't win! :p

Hobbermittens
May 29th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I just remembered one time I had a strong and undeniable feeling that if I bought a lottery ticket, I was going to win. It was stronger than my feelings with DS1, DS3, or this baby. It was SO strong and came from out of the blue, I hadn't been thinking about it or anything, it just popped into my head one day. Needless to say, I didn't win! :p

Actually I had the same experience a few months ago with a contest I entered. I was completely sure I would win, totally confident, and was pretty shocked when I didn't.

Hobbermittens
May 29th, 2012, 03:24 PM

:bighug: Thanks for being my cheerleader. I just wish I could believe it!

LolaInLove
May 29th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Girl, I'm just surprised you haven't dug that video out!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I've had the "lotto confidence" recently myself...I won $5!

WashingtonPromise
May 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
DD1... I just knew was a boy....wrong
DS1.....thought boy....right
DS2.......thought boy...right
DD2......thought girl....right
DD3.....thought boy.....wrong
DD4:.....thought boy....wrong
DS3.....thought girl.....wrong

I was doing pretty good to start off with, but things have just went down hill.

WantALittleBlue
May 30th, 2012, 03:47 PM
DD1 knew she was a girl from the minute I found I was pregnant
DS1 thought boy
DD2- no clue

suregena
June 4th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I always assumed my first would be a boy (and I actually wanted it that way! I could imagine my son and not daughter at that point in our life) and felt I *knew* he was there when I was pregnant. My husband's mother is a mother of three boys, and she is NOT secretive of having always wanted a girl... and in old British fashion, she is pretty bitter about it. Her and my father in law (who has since passed away...) would say things like, "... and HOPEFULLY it's a girl" or constantly referring to him as "she."

We KNEW it was a boy. We just knew it. So we found out officially at 20 weeks MAINLY to tell them so they'd snap out of the girl thing! But that didn't work completely, because even when I was 9 months pregnant, my father in law would say things like, "It's a girl, isn't it?" Bless him... his memory was getting a bit choppy by then and we had to remind him constantly it was a boy and what his name was. (He passed away when my son was 4 months old.)

I can now completely picture a little girl in our life... but who knows who wants to come in next? I sort of dread, though, the reaction of my mother in law if we ever did get pregnant with a girl. Oy vey... and if we ever do, she better not suddenly have a "favorite" because I fear she would.

She says often with sadness that my husband was going to be "Genevieve" and she was disappointed when he was born.
She has said that in front of him! :/

Anyway, nothing has changed, though... because since my son was born, she says things like, "And hopefully NEXT TIME it's a girl."

I almost don't want to give into her demands! But, ha.

sunnylife
June 19th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I am making myself a little crazy about my baby's gender at 11 weeks 5 days (due Jan. 2nd 2013). I am driving myself and my husband insane. I have always wanted a daughter, as I did not and do not have the best relationship with my own mother. On the other hand, my family believes that it's a boy and I am beginning to as well. My husband says girl but he's definitely biased because he just wants a girl who "looks like me". Idk...I cannot wait until I can find out. :running:

nestof3
June 19th, 2012, 02:40 PM
If this baby does get confirmed girl, my gut was right all three times. #1 I KNEW was a boy although we didn't find out. #2 I wanted a girl, but I know in my heart it was a boy. This time I just knew it was a girl but tried to talk myself out of it to save myself from GD..

toomanyboys
June 24th, 2012, 05:16 AM
well....i never really had any gut feeling with any of my 4 kids...jus prayed that my first was a DS, no real gender preferance with DS2 but was smaller bump looked different to my DS1 but symptomless so ame as DS1, with DS3 thought it started like a different pg a bit more nausea than with DS1 and DS2...no real gut feeling but wishing hard now it was a girl but complete denial when i found out couldn't believe i was devastated GD really bad....and the only reason with DD i refused to have any feelings or hopes in case i got dissaointed but pregnancy quite different to my boys....more nausea, more emotional, more shouty and short tempered and bad skin hair.....and US at 12 weeks no hint of any gender making me a bit more hopefull that it could maybe be a girl....on cloud 9 when i did find out for sure at a private scan....this baby all my pre pregnancy conditions are favouring girl....everytime i BD with Dh i prayed it will be a girl....swayed a couple of months but thigns didnt work out timing and my dry conditions didn't seem to favour any kind of conception...however when i did fall pg i was dry right formt he start....i know that clomid which took prior to this cycle of my PG favoured girl too.....and had my first pychic reading at 8 weeks and was told girl without a doubt.....then also all my symptoms totally opposite to my DS's alot of MS, skin really bad and pretty much feeling miserable in this pregnancy. had 4 pychics telling me it is either a gilr or has a feminine vibe to it...told a sister in law and hr first reaction was a girl....but i am going mostly by my symptoms and gut feeling this time it could be a girl..not showing at all yet bigger hips and waist but no real bump. but then it could be really really strong wishful thinking....just that fact that my age, myprepregnancy consitions and my symptoms all point to a girl.....am hoping i will not be proven otherwise...:(

CherryBlossom
June 24th, 2012, 07:29 AM
With my first son. Both my partner and I were certain we were having a girl! The whole pregnancy. Just girl girl girl.
Come d date and he came out a boy. As happy as I was I was also shocked as I was so sure he would be a she.

My second son. The moment I poas I knew he was a he. Deep down I thought oh a girl would be nice. I knew he was a he.
Not sure if that was me telling myself a he so I wouldn't be disappointed. Not sure.

One of my close friends has no idea what she's having. But her partner does. No idea how they both did it lol. I would have cracked either way haha

ILindGurl
July 7th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I had NO idea with baby #1. I would go back and forth with gender the whole pregnancy. I did predict boy for our baby pool bec of how I carried with all belly in front. But during my looong delivery I was certain it was a girl torturing me, LOL. It was a boy.

Baby #2 in the early pregnancy I had slight nausea so I thought hmmm maybe a girl? But starting the third month I had a strong feeling it was a boy. It was a boy (we found out at 20 week ultrasound).

This pregnancy - I'm only in the 6th week - I have no idea...

Surprise5th
August 21st, 2012, 12:32 PM
My first 2 I was correct on. For my next 2 I really thought they were girls, and they were both boys. I especially thought my last son was a girl, all of my dreams/thoughts revolved around a girl. We didn't find out with any of our first four until they were born, so it was quite a shock, and I did go through GD with him. We are now almost 17 weeks pregnant with our surprise baby, and I really feel it is a girl. We had a 12 week ultrasound done and the technician said she didn't think it was a girl because there was a "doo-dad." I had a little melt-down with my hubby, and then went home and did some research. It seems that most 12-week old baby's have doo-dads, female or male. I have my next ultrasound in 2 weeks so I will find out for sure at that point. Until then I am going to keep thinking "girly" thoughts. Fingers crossed!

Rosie85
August 21st, 2012, 12:41 PM
I really feel as if this one is a girl but I swayed and am worried that may be clouding my intuition. I knew with my first two the day before my scans, I walked up to my husband both times and said this is a boy and the next day I was always right.

Winngrin
August 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM
If I allow myself to think about it (which I try not to) I feel this is my DD. With all 3 of my boys I knew they were boys. With DS2 and DS3 I wwas hoping for a girl, and it was fun to talk about, but I didnt FEEL it. With DS3, when I started to feel him kick, I found myself always referring to him as a him or he. With this baby, I find myself thinking of them as she or her. And I FEEL it. But I am so scared that this is just due to the swaying, and knowing this is my last baby. So I go back and forth and drive myself crazy. Part of me is resigned to the fact that I will have 4 boys. And sometimes I see other mothers with 3 boys and then a girl and think that could be me. But mostly I look at other people having girls and think "they're taking up all the girls!!!!!". Is that weird?

Rosie85
August 21st, 2012, 02:07 PM
I am in the same position Winn. I feel that this is a girl but it's hard to not think that it could be my third boy. I see tons and tons of women with two boys and a girl and I think hey that could be me! I also see tons of women with 3 or 4 boys and think hey that is going to be me. A girl is more of a hope and a boy is more of a reality. I think my sway has me feeling girl but then again I don't know maybe I feel it's a girl because it really is?

babygirlforme
August 22nd, 2012, 01:18 AM
When I conceived my DD I knew she was a she from the beginning. I just knew. Like I knew I all my other 5 were boys. I could not believe how strong my feelings were. I sobbed to the nurses at the D&C that I knew I was losing my DD, they all looked at me with pity and I think they thought I was a little crazy but we got the chromosomal results back and sure enough I was right.

I know this sounds weird but I have dreamt the genders correctly with all my pregnancies. Usually before I know I am pregnant I dream that I am pregnant and what the gender is. With my DD I dreamt it was a girl and that I would miscarry.

mrshonyez
August 22nd, 2012, 09:48 PM
With my DS1 I kinda thought he was a boy, but didn't really have any gut feelings. DS2 I was hoping for a girl but knew deep down he was a boy. This time the morning before I woke up and got my bfp, I had a dream that someone was holding my daughter. She was wearing a pink onesie with little daisies on it, so I'm looking for that outfit in real life for good luck ;) I had a feeling at the beginning it was a girl, and I still kinda feel like it is, but I guess I'm trying not to get my hopes up so I just keep thinking its probably a boy. I guess we'll find out in October!