PDA

View Full Version : 3D Ultrasounds--Worth it?

auroara78
May 29th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Hello all!

I am 24 weeks and lately I've been really wanting to get a 3D ultrasound done. This *may* be my last pregnancy (we want a 4th one day but don't know about $$$), so being that is expensive to get done (its about $129 in my area), I had a few questions about it:

If you did it, did you feel it was really worth the money to see a better image of your baby?

Was the image so clear you could really point out features and get a good idea of what your baby would look like?

When your baby did arrive, did you feel like you already knew the baby because of the image you had seen on 3D ultrasound...did it ruin any of those first moments where you meet your baby because you had already sort of "met" your baby via the 3D ultrasound?

Any stories or comments about 3D ultrasound would be appreicated.

I don't want to regret not having it done, but over 100 dollar is serious money for me and DH, when we could apply that money to pay down some of our medical bills instead.

Thank you.

nuthinbutpink
May 29th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I think it is a novelty item. Yes, you can see baby but it is NOT like the original GE commercial that ran on tv when it first came out.

You would want to drink a lot of water the week prior or your images will be very poor. You can't see their eyes which for me makes it really hard to relate. You just see sockets so the baby still looks not quite human. If money is no object I'd say go for it because it is cool if you've never had one but I did not pay for one with my last pregnancy.

WashingtonPromise
May 29th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I had a 3D/4D this time and it was very real looking and the pics were great, but at the same time it is just creepy. Some things just look a little weird. The baby did look like DS1 as a newborn, I can not wait to see if he really does :)

If you really want one go ahead and save for it, this may be your lst chance. I never really wanted one done, my OB office just asked if they could practice on me to figure out their new machine.