PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Tinkerbelle
January 26th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Hi Ladies!

I'm looking for some advice/opinions. The clinic we are cycling with advise that you put back 3 embryos. I'm 27 i've had 5 healthy pregnancys no history of miscarriage so what are the chances of multiples? Obviously I want the best chance of getting one daughter, but i'm not sure about 3!! I could put 2 back but you could still get 3 that way. I'm not sure i'd be happy doing a SET as I want the best chance possible:sigh:i'm confusing myself here!!

I understand I have to be lucky enough to get even 1 girl embryo, but what would you do or advise?

Thanks

nuthinbutpink
January 26th, 2011, 04:23 PM
NO WAY. Where are you cycling? Anywhere that would tell a 27 year old mom of 5 healthy kids conceived naturally to put back 3 embryos ONLY CARES ABOUT THEIR OWN STATS and NOT YOU. I wouldn't cycle there or if you do, put back one if you want one baby. I honestly cannot believe that a doctor would tell you that(I mean I believe YOU, I cannot believe them).

Tinkerbelle
January 26th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I swear to God that's what they told me! That's why I had to ask someone because I didn't think it was right. By thinking of their stats do you mean so they have more pregnancy/live birth figures?
I thought it was high especialy for my age. Yeah maybe your right about a SET I'm thinking of changing and going to HRC.
Thanks NBP your a star x

nuthinbutpink
January 26th, 2011, 04:42 PM
When looking at a clinic's stats, you really should look at the average number of embryos transferred in each age bracket. Some clinics do transfer more embryos than others would. To tell a woman in her 20's to transfer 3 embryos when using IVF for GS and not infertility is awful. I don't know how else to descibe it. Did they know you had 5 kids? And they knew it was for GS? I would just look at other clinics and do a couple of consults with some reputable clinics before choosing that one. You have to consider your health, the babies AND your current family when doing this. The only thing I see that the clinic you talked to considered, assuming they had all your details, was their stats going up with you as a patient. Be careful. Sounds like you are doing the intelligent thing and going with your instict when something doesn't sound quite right. Good for you!!

Tinkerbelle
January 26th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Yes I told them I had 5 children. I just thought it was strange after reading in the forums, doctors like Dr P advise against this they would go for a SET. They knew it was for GS as well. I wouldn't cope with Triplets, let alone the health problems for babies and myself! I could cope with Twins but Triplets plus the boys no way!!! I'm going to stay looking around and getting consults till i'm happy. I am being pulled towards Dr Potter mainly for all the positive things anyone who cycled there have said, even if they had a BFN.

Lilian78
January 26th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Wow, surprised to hear this . . . and by the way definitely reccommend Dr. P :) I personally think you should generally transfer 2 unless you absolutely can't handle twins--and should consider more only when there are other factors (age, failed cycle, bad embryos, etc.).

Tinkerbelle
January 27th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I know because potentially all 3 could implant and then they could split and that would mean = SEXTUPLETS!!! I would love a daughter but I don't think 6 in one is the way to go for me lol.
Everyone who has cycled with or consulted with DR P all have good reports so i'm looking into that at the moment.

prettyinpink18
January 27th, 2011, 06:30 PM
At your age I would never put back 3. For me, the potential of triplets would terrify me. Never put back more than you would be willing to carry.

Liv
January 27th, 2011, 10:36 PM
That's crazy! I would look at other clinics and have a couple different consults.

Lillylolly
January 28th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I agree that transferring 3 on your first IVF cycle would not be the best thing to do. I would approach another RE or express your desire for a SET or 2 at the most. We have seen it before when transferring three really does equal triplets.

Tinkerbelle
January 28th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Oh it's ok girls IF i was lucky enough to have the option to put 3 back there is not a hope in hell I would even consider it!!

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
January 28th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Gee that is a lot to transfer with your background.

Tinkerbelle
January 29th, 2011, 04:43 PM
yeah that's what I was thinking!

Dreaming 4 a Girl
February 18th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I'm 27 AND have fertility problems, and my Dr wouldn't even put that many back.

xnicolax
February 18th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I agree, it's crazy to put back 3 but a lot of Dr's do recomend it, I think even Dr Potter has done this, im sure waiting 4 elle transfered 3? I might be wrong there and maybe 1 split but I think he put back 3. My limit is 2. I would be happy to have twins, extatic even:) triplets would be welcomed also but the complications of multiple pregnancies are not worth it. There is too much chance of something going wrong.

nuthinbutpink
February 18th, 2011, 07:06 AM
He did but she was 40 but still, all 3 took and I know CC trasnferred 3 each time. Got one and then 2.

anxiousandready
February 20th, 2011, 08:57 PM
My dr had me to sign a release to put back 2!! He says because I am under 35 and if they are perfect he recommends only 1.

TWINSplz!
February 23rd, 2011, 10:37 AM
No way would I put back 3! Good luck!

erinhen
March 3rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
I recently read something about how SET sometimes have a better success rate (when done with GSN or aCGH) than putting more in more than 1..... something about how if one dies then it causes the other to die too. However, I have read if you do PGD then putting back 2 will double your chance of success. I have never heard anything about putting 3 back unless you have greater problems with quantity/quality and are a mature mama.

koko
March 13th, 2011, 07:09 AM
i think u should put 2 ,good luck

Ashgirl
March 17th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Most doctors recommend putting back 2 at most, though it definitely depends on the quality of the embryos. With my first cycle, I ended up with 3 morulas and my recommended putting all 3 in, which I did. It resulted in a BFN.

lisvna
April 9th, 2011, 06:13 AM
wich clinic did recommand you that?x