PDA

View Full Version : What baby stuff do you keep if your head tells you you are done having babies....

nini
June 5th, 2012, 05:37 AM
....but your heart simply doesnt feel it yet?

I have approx. 15 removal boxes full of baby clothes, both girl and boy, although more girl than boy stuff. All those things are from my ds2 and dd, I am additionally keeping things that I have been given for my daughter that are still too big.

I now know that I am defintiely having a boy and while I would not sort anything out before his safe arrival, once he is here, I really need to get rid of some of the things as I cannot keep everything, incl. boy clothes as he outgrows them.

I will sell the majority of stuff at baby sales, the boy stuff my ds2 outgrows I will obviously safe for my youngest. I started sorting out all the baby girl stuff but just couldnt do it, I sat there in tears (obviously, this is massively due to my still incredibly strong desire of another daughter)... I realise its only material things and everything I sell, I can buy again if I ever decide to have another baby and if I am lucky enough to have another girl. IF we ever have another one, it would be in 3 yrs MINIMUM And most likely we will have to move inbetween, possibly countries. So I definitely need to get rid of the majority.

What do you guys keep? I dont have many newborn girl clothes as a friend lent me everything and I gave it back to her once my dd had outgrown them after some weeks. I now regret that. I would probably keep clothes that I am really attached to. I thought I could limit myself to 1 removal box worth of boy and girl clothes. IF I have another baby, I would have the most emotionally valuable clothes left, if I do not have another baby, I can keep the things for memory. This is so hard :(

RedCanoe
June 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Oh, it's really hard if you're not sure you're done!!

I have kept *everything* so far. As soon as the clothes are outgrown they get sorted and stored in the basement. Same with baby gear and toys, etc. Then we pull them out again with the next baby.

I always thought that I would have a really hard time once I was on my last baby, and maybe I will when the time comes (this baby will be my last) but honestly right now I'm SO ready to get rid of baby things, lol. My boys are growing up and I'm feeling really ready to move beyond the baby stage and finally get rid of all those bulky baby items (swing, jumpers, etc, etc). I think I will give away or sell what I can and donate the rest to charity. I'm not sure I want to keep much of anything, really. I have pictures of the kids in the clothes and playing with the toys, so those will be good mementos. And after having my MIL bring me a bunch of grimy, 30 yr old junk from when DH was a baby, it made me realize that my kids and their future spouses will NOT want any of their stuff, lol. :P

Mochagirl
June 5th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I have a basement FULL of boy clothes. Since my first two were twins, we had a double wardrobe to begin with, then of course we bought some new stuff for ds3 since that helped with my GD. Now that I've been told twice this is a girl, I'm desperate to get rid of some stuff to make room for the things we'll have to buy for her. Like RedCanoe, I feel ready (and excited) to get rid of stuff - especially the big stuff like exersaucers, etc. - once this baby has grown out of it, but I'm also an extremely sentimental person, so I know when it comes down to it it will be tough. I did sell our double stroller from the twins' baby days very recently, and I had trouble with that...but the $40 I got for the 6 year old, slightly broken stroller made me feel a lot better about it ;).

Knowing me, I'm sure I'll keep several outfits from every size for every kid - the ones that were either special gifts or remind me of special times. When my Mom found out I'm having a girl, she presented me with a box of my baby clothes. It's so wonderful that she kept a box like this for each of her 4 kids, and I want to do the same for my kids. One thing I keep saying to myself as I separate stuff to sell is that I took so many pictures through their lifetime that I have pictures of them wearing each and every outfit - that's a way to remember without taking room in your basement!

nini
June 6th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Redcanoe, you are right, our daughter-in-laws might not be thrilled about all the old stuff :( I got a new camera for Christmas for this reason, I said to my husband the only memories we will have are hte ones in our head and the pictures. Its just so sad really.....

I too thought I would be excited to get rid of some of the weight (half of our basement is full with baby things) and its only material things, but I guess I am still grieving the 2nd girl I will not get (sorry if I sound greedy), so hopefully once this little man arrives, he will put everything into perspective. I was also thinking of what new stuff I could buy with the money I make from selling all the other things (in particular the girl stuff has hardly been worn since I had so much....). Also, I am like 10 weeks ahead of you and things are beginning to feel more real now... you know, that LAST baby.

nini
June 6th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Mocha, I like that idea with the box! I hope my boys will appreciate it or their future wives. I think I might do the same, have a small, pretty box with timeless, wellkept clothes. Even just to have a sniff in the years to come.

I am only 32 which makes things harder. Sometimes I wish I had spaced my kids a bit more as I will have had 3 in 3 years time. Ah well, who knows, I might feel like another one when I am 38 or so?

Mochagirl
June 6th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Maybe it is easier to let go when you're older. I'm turning 38 this year, and this pregnancy is really taking a toll on my body, making me sure I don't want to do this again. All my friends stopped having babies and went back to work long ago, which means my friends are all regaining their freedom while I'm about to dive back into the world of middle of the night feedings and potty training. I have no regrets and I truly love being pregnant and having a newborn so I'm excited I get to experience it one last time, but it's hard when I don't have any friends IRL having babies right now.

As for the box of keepsake clothes for each kid - my Mom saved one not just for me, but for each of my 3 brothers. Each of them has treasured their box and dressed their own sons in the clothes as well - so it's not something just for daughters!

Indira
June 6th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Iīm one of the people that canīt wait to get rid of it all!

I really like Mochaīs mums boxes too! I think I could make a mixed box for each with some toys, books, cdīs as well. That would have been such a treasure for me to recieve a box like that when we had children.

nini Iīm so jealous youīre having your fourth child at 32 years! When this boy turns 20 you will only be 52!
In a couple of years I think you will only see it as an advantage that your kids are close in age and you had them young.

If I had a daughter I would keep a box with her clothes so she could dress her doll with them. I had that as a child. Sure boys can play with dolls too but mine donīt.

What I think is a neat idea is to sew something with your favourite newborn/baby items once you donīt use them anymore, like a stuffed animal, a doll or a toy store box so you keep seeing the fabric regularly, whereas when you store the clothes in a box you only see them when you pull them out every once in a lifetime. Like these for example:30103011

nini
June 8th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Maybe it is easier to let go when you're older. I'm turning 38 this year, and this pregnancy is really taking a toll on my body, making me sure I don't want to do this again. All my friends stopped having babies and went back to work long ago, which means my friends are all regaining their freedom while I'm about to dive back into the world of middle of the night feedings and potty training. I have no regrets and I truly love being pregnant and having a newborn so I'm excited I get to experience it one last time, but it's hard when I don't have any friends IRL having babies right now.

As for the box of keepsake clothes for each kid - my Mom saved one not just for me, but for each of my 3 brothers. Each of them has treasured their box and dressed their own sons in the clothes as well - so it's not something just for daughters!

Wow, you have 3 brothers as well? It hurts so much when people comment how my daughter will be one tough thing because of her 3 brothers. It feels so untrue since she is the Boss! My sons are way softer and somewhat... more needy?

Yes, I think age is a factor. I too feel this pregnancy is taking its toll, but thats because its my 3rd in 3 years. Many of my friends who had babies in their early and late 30s said its a major difference energywise.

nini
June 8th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Iīm one of the people that canīt wait to get rid of it all!

I really like Mochaīs mums boxes too! I think I could make a mixed box for each with some toys, books, cdīs as well. That would have been such a treasure for me to recieve a box like that when we had children.

nini Iīm so jealous youīre having your fourth child at 32 years! When this boy turns 20 you will only be 52!
In a couple of years I think you will only see it as an advantage that your kids are close in age and you had them young.

If I had a daughter I would keep a box with her clothes so she could dress her doll with them. I had that as a child. Sure boys can play with dolls too but mine donīt.

What I think is a neat idea is to sew something with your favourite newborn/baby items once you donīt use them anymore, like a stuffed animal, a doll or a toy store box so you keep seeing the fabric regularly, whereas when you store the clothes in a box you only see them when you pull them out every once in a lifetime. Like these for example:30103011

Indira, thanks for posting these, what a sweet idea!! I am useless at sewing, but my mother is really good.

Right, we wanted them close together at a young age (well, dh is 5 yrs older) in order to really do loads of things, go travelling etc when they're older. I guess, yes, its a gift to have them now and as easily as I had each of them as well (first try conceptions every single time even with swaying, timing, abstinence!). I am just not totally enthusiastic this time which makes me wonder if I should have held off with this abby until in some years time, but there was a reason we wanted this and I am usually not feeling great (emotionally) during pregnancy.

Good luck with the remainder of your pregnancy xx

Mochagirl
June 8th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Wow, you have 3 brothers as well? It hurts so much when people comment how my daughter will be one tough thing because of her 3 brothers. It feels so untrue since she is the Boss! My sons are way softer and somewhat... more needy?

I loooove the fact that my family will have the same structure as the one I grew up with. I loved having 3 big brothers! They always took care of me and still do. I had the best of both worlds: I got to do fun, tomboy stuff like play with frogs and Star Wars stuff, but I also got treated like a princess by my whole family because I was the only girl.

Sorry you get mean comments - I'm lucky I have a great comeback since I can say 'I had 3 big brothers and I had the best childhood ever!'.

RedCanoe
June 8th, 2012, 10:18 AM
It hurts so much when people comment how my daughter will be one tough thing because of her 3 brothers.

I get this comment a lot too (well, I get the "IF you ever have a girl after 3 boys") but I always took it as a good thing! I love the idea that my DD would be tough and able to hold her own with boys (and later men) because she grew up with older brothers. Why should I want her to be some shrinking violet?? I think most people mean it as a positive thing...

threelittlemenandcounting
June 14th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I too have so much stuff kept, I have a moses basket, cot and boxes and bags of clothes!! I have been told though by DH that its time to sell the pushchairs as she no longer uses them so will not be keeping those, but I really would like to think that I would get a use for those clothes again at some point, my head says done at the min but my hearts say no way are you done !