PDA

View Full Version : totally gutted!!

trying in spring
June 6th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I've been wanting to ttc this month for over a year and my husband has gone and got sick - really sick ie. proper flu - high temp, sore throat etc. He's been given antibiotics.

My question is... the first day of my cycle was the 1st june. When i conceived my dd we bd'd every day from the end of my period til a day or so after o. Af is only just coming to an end and obviously no cm at all at the moment. I'm presuming my dh will be better in a couple of days and want to know should we ttc this month?

I've read on internet in a few places that antibiotics are safe for dh to be on if you do conceive, but dont' know if they have any adverse affect re. ttc girl. Also, I got my dd by bd'ing every day from end of af. If we only start bding once he is better am i undoing my chances of getting a girl? Should i wait until next month. Am totally devastated (although i'm not that heartless that i don't want my dh to get better for reasons other than ttc!!) Just had my heart set on starting this month. And want to do everything i can to try for another girl.

Thank you x

nuthinbutpink
June 6th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I know they say antibiotics raises pH but pH of sperm can't vary that much or they die anyway. Hopefully atomic will chime in.

atomic sagebrush
June 6th, 2012, 10:39 PM
The traditional view claims that antibiotics sway blue becasue they raise pH, but my research has shown they lower sperm count and quality. I believe sperm count and quality sway much harder than pH sways (if it even does.) I would actually be kinda happy if my husband was sick when we were about to have our attempt, because fever may also sway pink. I would feel fine about TTC while my husband was on antibiotics.

Please for the sake of everyone, if your husband does improve in a couple days or not, please have him continue his antibiotic until they are all used up as per your doctor's orders. Don't have him stop the antibiotics before he's taken the full course for the sake of your sway, because when you do that, you help to create drug resistant strains of antibiotics that can then live in your husband's body indefinitely and cause future infections and even make your children ill as well. Not to mention spread around to everyone. So if you really don't feel good about it, then please just postpone this month and try next month (I don't think you need to do that!!) Don't have him stop the antibiotics early for some benefit that probably doesn't even sway! :)

auroara78
June 7th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I agree with Atomic, I would continue the sway and use the sickness as a good thing. I still think if when he's "up" for it, you start DTD'ing everyday until after O would still sway pink because everyday frequency does not give the sperm "much" time to play catch up, and I believe thats why it swayed pink for you the 1st time.

trying in spring
June 7th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I would never have him give up antibiotics half way through a course. I would have absolutely no chance of getting him to ttc conceive while he is feeling this bad!!

If my next period is around the 27th june does that not mean i o around the 13th? He is too sick to ttc tonight as he has barely been out of bed for the past 3 days. If he is too ill tomorrow and we don't ttc until saturday does that leave enough time to ttc frequently enough to deplete his sperm count by the time i o, if it is the depletion that sways girl?

Just for information, he was sick the time we conceived my daughter as well!! xx

atomic sagebrush
June 8th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Great, I hope that wasn't offensive to you in any way, it's just that I've seen some people do some crazy stuff with antibiotics for swaying (when I was on InGender) and I just don't want people to do that! :)

Typically, AF on June 27 would indicate O on June 13, but some people have short LP (luteal phase, the second half of your menstrual cycle after ovulation) and if you have only a 12 day LP, you would actually O on the 15th.

I would not worry about FR in this instance. His being ill and also the antibiotics will already have done exactly what the FR would have done anyway, probably more effectively. His sperm count will be lowered and his sperm quality will not be as good. Esp. given you've conceived a girl when he was ill before, I'd totally go for it.

He sounds quite badly off, I hope he gets better soon! Sending eChickenSoup vibes. :)

trying in spring
June 8th, 2012, 01:48 PM
No you didn't offend me - my mum used to work in a lab with antibiotics and has drummed it in to me over the past 30 years!!!

Sorry, last question - is it ok to start bding today or tomorrow (think he might collapse if i jump on him tonight!!) and bd every day until after o? i read on here that you should only try once with fr and if you bd every day your testosterone goes up. Just we bd'd every day with my daughter and every other day and had my son.

Also last last thing - my dh saw me reading about taking benedryl and freaked out!! He won't do anything if i am taking it. Is there anything else i can do instead that's not medical to lower amount of cm?

Thank you so much for your time it is priceless. xx

atomic sagebrush
June 8th, 2012, 02:00 PM
It is FINE to do FR and several attempts leading up to O. It ~may~ raise sperm numbers of sperm surviving in your bosy slightly which may sway slightly blue, but a lot of people have gotten DD's doing frequent BD through O and if his numbers are down due to illness/antibiotics, you may NEED to do several attempts just to make sure something is alive in there when the egg shows up.

When I write an essay, I try to present ALL the different opinions and evidence and let people decide for themselves. Yes, BD a lot ~may~ make testosterone go up, but there is no evidence that translates into higher sperm numbers (at least not right away), and also no evidence that slightly higher T levels sway strongly blue.

Aside from antihistamines, diet can reduce CM but it may take time.