PDA

View Full Version : Undecided on Girl Name

laughinglynxie
June 7th, 2012, 05:43 PM
So, we thought we had our names figured out for this baby...but now that we accidentally found out that we are expecting a GIRL, I'm not as confident! (Boy would have been Fox Patrick.) Oh, and our DS1 is Tobin Douglas.

We like: Ivy, Violet, and Georgia. (Ivy, because it is short and sweet, Georgia because DH and I both had grandpas named George and they have passed). I feel that Violet is becoming a little too popular, so I'm not as excited about that anymore (unless used as a middle name).

My thoughts are leaning towards: Ivy Georgia OR Georgia Violet.

Opinions?

dramabird
June 7th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I'd say Ivy because I really like "I" names. I think that's beautiful, plus having Georgia as the middle name would retain the nice nod to your grandfathers.

Mochagirl
June 7th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I'm partial to Georgia Violet, personally.

dloui128
June 7th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I like Ivy Georgia

Myloves
June 7th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Georgia is a really pretty name. I like Georgia Violet the best too Mocha.

NewYorkmom
June 7th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I have a 3year old daughter named Georgia Elise. She was named after my Dad and they share the same birthday. I love the name and it is not popular where we live.

hopingforsaskia
June 7th, 2012, 09:34 PM
My BFF just named her daughter Ivy -- honestly, I think Violet, Georgia and Ivy are all getting very popular! I know a lot of kids with some variation of them all. But I guess that's because they're lovely names... ;) I like Georgia Violet too.

Hobbermittens
June 7th, 2012, 09:35 PM
We almost named my DD1 Georgia after DH's grandmother. I chickened out at the last minute because I didn't like the idea of her going by "Georgie". But that's just me. (George Bush was president then, which may have had something to do with it!) Anyway, I still think it is a beautiful name, but I also really love Ivy. Super cute, and not popular at all (at least not where I live). I only have ever met one, and she's about 5.

TTC5
June 7th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Georgia Violet :)

laughinglynxie
June 7th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks for all the input so far, everyone!! In a way, it only makes it harder, LOL!

I think DH leans more towards Ivy because our DS1 is Tobin (and it's so archaic and meaningful for us) and he wanted something a little lighter that's just "fun."

I'd say I'm still very torn. :D I'll have to do some talking to my belly as the weeks progress and find out what baby likes, haha.

Hobbermittens
June 8th, 2012, 12:50 AM
You can also wait until she is born, and see what she looks more like. Sometimes it helps to meet the baby before you name it. :)

Damienne
June 8th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Ivy Violet

laughinglynxie
June 8th, 2012, 02:33 AM
So true, Hobber! I feel like I at least have it narrowed down enough that I feel comfortable if I did wait until delivery. :)

I have discovered (through writing out our family names and different baby combos) that it is incredibly hard for me to write out "Ivy" without it looking like a scribble. LOL!

PeonyPrincess
June 8th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Oh, they are all lovely names. I have a hard time voting. Mostly I am just excited that you get to choose a girls name!!
I went to school with a Georgia. She was model beautiful, but quite a snob, lol.

zanacal
June 8th, 2012, 05:50 AM
I like the sound of Ivy with Tobin (which I also love btw!).

Indira
June 8th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Ivy!

The Anchor
June 8th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Georgia Violet gets my vote...

laughinglynxie
June 8th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Georgia is definitely more popular outside of the US. For 2011 (in the US), it was #305...which is .54 out of 1000 babies.

I think this is one stubborn baby. :D Last time I just KNEW what was right. Now I guess I feel the need to have a better "fit" for the family. Maybe I should start over with my list, LOL!

Mochagirl
June 8th, 2012, 05:19 PM
To be honest, when I think about it, I have encountered a lot of little girls named Georgia around here... I can't say I've ever known an 'Ivy'.

Hobbermittens
June 8th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I think this is one stubborn baby. :D Last time I just KNEW what was right. Now I guess I feel the need to have a better "fit" for the family. Maybe I should start over with my list, LOL!
Don't worry. DD2 didn't have a name until she was 48 hours old. You have lots of time left to decide!

suregena
June 11th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I went back and forth on a name I've always loved for a girl because it got/is popular here in the UK (and two people my husband knows has daughters with it as a middle name)... but I've now rested on the "I don't care anymore!" part because, seriously... after my son was born, we met two other boys within our town with his name. I was like... what?

So, now, I don't care! Hahah!

I vote for Georgia Violet.

There are billions of Lily's it seems these days... I think Violet is still not to that level. ;)
I wouldn't worry about it at all!

auroara78
June 11th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I like Violet a lot.

However, of the names given I love Ivy too.

I also really like Georgia, but that's my mean cat's name so hard to think of it for a baby (sorry, she's been my cat for 10 years now!) The cat prefers to be called "George" for some reason and responds to George more than "Georgia..."

Though I do like how Georgia is one of those names everyone "knows" and can pronounce but it's not super popular (like my DS1's name Quinten...everyone knows it, but I haven't met another kid named Quinten yet!)

I like Ivy though a lot too because the "I" is sort of a unique alpha letter, just how the Q is, and DS1 loves to draw Q's everywhere....

laughinglynxie
June 16th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I think we are probably going with Ivy. :) DH really likes it and I like that he gets to feel involved during the pregnancy in some way (especially because he actually was hoping for another boy, haha).

It's also a pretty safe choice for the state of Minnesota....I've never met one yet and folks here usually go with "normal" names like Megan, Lauren, and Molly.

atomic sagebrush
June 16th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Congrats!!!! I hadn't heard that! :)

Georgia, because I agree that Violet is a bit too popular and Ivy feels a bit trendy (altho I LOVE both of them, don't get me wrong.)