PDA

View Full Version : what type of monitoring is necessary/ideal for IUI

Lilian78
January 27th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Hi Dr. P and/or Lori,

I'm sorry because I could probably find this info somewhere, but thought I would go right to the source:happy: What type of monitoring is necessary or ideal for microsort IUI? Is this something that is generally done via ultrasound, or with opk? And would opk work for someone who's not skilled at reading them?

Mykids
January 28th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I am not Dr P or Lori,

I did MS IUI in HRC but i am located in chicago. I went to my Gyno for monitoring (U/S) i did not do bloodwork, My Gyno used to send the results to DR P office. Some people also do only OPK. This is only when u do Clomid. If u r doing MSIUI with injectables then Bloodwork should be included.

HTH

Lilian78
February 1st, 2011, 08:40 AM
I am not Dr P or Lori,

I did MS IUI in HRC but i am located in chicago. I went to my Gyno for monitoring (U/S) i did not do bloodwork, My Gyno used to send the results to DR P office. Some people also do only OPK. This is only when u do Clomid. If u r doing MSIUI with injectables then Bloodwork should be included.

HTH

Thanks. About how many ultrasounds? And how did it work out with traveling (I'm guessing harder to plan than IVF)? Not sure if I "know" you. Did MS work out for you?

Mykids
February 1st, 2011, 11:25 PM
My periods were like in between 28 - 32 days, so i had about 6 U/S. but to be honest that much is not required if ur periods are regular. Nope MS /IUI did not work for us unfortunately.

Mykids
February 1st, 2011, 11:28 PM
i flew to CA when my follicles were 22 mm & the next day of my trigger shot.

Dr. Potter
February 2nd, 2011, 01:34 AM
Hi Dr. P and/or Lori,

I'm sorry because I could probably find this info somewhere, but thought I would go right to the source:happy: What type of monitoring is necessary or ideal for microsort IUI? Is this something that is generally done via ultrasound, or with opk? And would opk work for someone who's not skilled at reading them?
Ideally, monitoring is done with ultrasound and blood tests. OPKs are problematic because they are marginally accurate and are not as closely regulated as blood tests. If the shipment of OPKs was in a hot van or has been on the shelf for an extended period, the reagents can deteriorate.

Dr. Potter
February 2nd, 2011, 01:37 AM
I am not Dr P or Lori,

HTHI agree with this. Using clomid we frequently do not use blood testing. We do not have to adjust dosing with clomid

Lilian78
February 2nd, 2011, 09:21 PM
Ideally, monitoring is done with ultrasound and blood tests.

Thanks! Seems like with monitoring (local, not at HRC), and travel 2, IUI cycles would probably cost about as much and be about as much hassle as one IVF cycle . . .

Mykids: sorry to hear it didn't work out :( And eek, I don't think I had 6 ultrasounds with my IVF cycle (!)

JackiesHope
February 9th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Mykids, I'm sorry your MS IUI did not work out. Have you thought about doing IVF?