PDA

View Full Version : Child Poverty in the US :(

Lillylolly
January 28th, 2011, 12:45 PM
"Twenty-seven percent of white children live in poverty, compared to 61 percent of black children, 62 percent of Hispanic children, and 57 percent of Native American children."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/answer-sheet/guest-bloggers/on-this-health-we-should-agree.html

Wishing4Emma
February 6th, 2011, 01:00 PM
That is horrible. It makes my heart hurt. I am a speech therapist and see kids in Canada. I had one of my kids tell me that "Santa Claus couldn't bring her presents because they didn't have a Christmas tree." It really broke my heart...

MyLilSweetPeas
February 21st, 2011, 07:28 AM
I think the mission trips are a good thing to help other countries but it infuriates me to know that people right here in our own country need help but don't get that help. It's like we are blind to our own faults yet see other's clearly. To be totally honest, my kids would not have had a Christmas at all if it were not for our school's Angel Tree program. We even got put on the tree at the last minute and luckily my kids did get adopted. I am beyond greatful for that and we made some oragami lilies and hand wrote a sincere tank you note for each of the people who adopted our kids as a.way to say thank you because we're not actually allowed to meet the people who adopt.

I realize that third world countries are in very severe circumstances so I'm not totally against helping them but I think helping your own country should come first. In third world countries in think they are accustomed to living the lifestyle they live but here in the USA you have people who get fired or laid off from work and end up losing everything and living on the streets and that's not something we are accustomed to here.

Luckily we didn't lose everything when my DH lost his job several years back but we still haven't fully recovered from that and now we downsized drastically and we live in a camper. And there are a lot of people with families who actually do what we are doing.

It's really a sad situation that some kids in our own countries go without proper food, shelter, clothing and don't have not even one Christmas gift. Where is the love? Above all else LOVE is most important! And under love there are many categories as ways of showing that.