PDA

View Full Version : Frozen MS Sperm Shipped From Mexico?

AnnaG1
June 14th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hi Dr. Potter
We are planning on cycling soon with you :)

I have heard some conflicting information regarding whether or not one would be able to use frozen Microsort sperm from Mexico. Some sources have said yes it is possible and I have also heard from MS that they are waiting to hear more on this and couldnt give me a definitive answer.

If it were possible, what are your thoughts on this? I know going to Mexico isnt the "ideal" situation and most are quite hesitant to do this, but I know many in the past have had great success with using Microsort when it was available in the states.

Thanks so much! :)

ponygirl
June 14th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Yes. Many of us are waiting to find out the answer to this. I asked one of the nurse coordinators and she had no idea.

Dr. Potter
June 19th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Hi Dr. Potter
We are planning on cycling soon with you :)

I have heard some conflicting information regarding whether or not one would be able to use frozen Microsort sperm from Mexico. Some sources have said yes it is possible and I have also heard from MS that they are waiting to hear more on this and couldnt give me a definitive answer.

If it were possible, what are your thoughts on this? I know going to Mexico isnt the "ideal" situation and most are quite hesitant to do this, but I know many in the past have had great success with using Microsort when it was available in the states.

Thanks so much! :)I think that the FDA would come down very hard on any clinic that used MicroSort sperm in the US whether it was from Mexico or not. I think that your only hope would be to transfer the sperm to a US sperm bank for storage and then to a clinic without telling the clinic that it was MicroSorted. The FDA has rules about using non-approved devices and tissue based treatments. These rules are enforced with significant sanctions against clinics and clinicians that violate them.

Longingforgirl
December 29th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Dear Dr. Potter,

I am sure nobody would want to get the clinic they are cycling with into trouble. So if the patient does not tell the clinic anything about the sperm being MicroSorted, and the FDA somehow finds out that the clinic used this MicroSorted sperm - is the clinic getting into trouble although they did not know anything about that?

Babyblues
December 29th, 2012, 05:04 PM
How would the clinic even know? All they would see is an uncanny rate of one gender, it probably happens in real life from time to time. No biggie.

nuthinbutpink
December 29th, 2012, 05:29 PM
There has to be a chain of custody from what I understand. You cannot walk into a clinic and say here's my sperm.

I think it would have to go to a cryobank first and then to the clinic but I'm not aware of all the risks to you or the clinics.

vickyaust
December 29th, 2012, 05:43 PM
It's something we would definitely do if possible. I had two XY last cycle and we are ttc XX.

Dr. Potter
January 4th, 2013, 04:32 PM
It's something we would definitely do if possible. I had two XY last cycle and we are ttc XX.

We have apparently had a few couples that have done this so far.