PDA

View Full Version : Fifty Shades Trilogy by E L James

HappyLea
June 17th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Just thought i would pop a little thread, i dont normally read books but on facebook alot of people seemed to post about them so i thought i would see what all the hype was about.

I picked the first book up on Thursday and by Sunday i have read all three, i just couldn't put them down. Great novel and raunchy, what more can you ask for?!

On the back of the book it says 'Romantic, liberating and totally addictive, this is a novel that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.'

The above is so so true!!!

I have heard that she is re writing them from another character 'Mr Grey' and i cannot wait :bigsmile:

A fantastic read and gets my thumbs up.

Plum3
June 17th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I'm almost finished the first book and I love it!

HappyLea
June 17th, 2012, 09:18 AM
All three are fab...im gutted i have finished them.

nuthinbutpink
June 17th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I read the first one and I got bored with it about 2/3 through. Not my favorite but the first 1/2 is gross and shocking for sure!

Waiting4Daisy
June 17th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Deleted

HappyLea
June 17th, 2012, 10:56 AM
They deffinately do get better! I wasn't excpecting the sex scenes to be so full on...shall i put it, but i really couldn't put the books down.

Obvoiusly not everyone will like them but i think they were brilliant.

sixhappysons
June 17th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I am struggling to read the first one. Too far fetched and crass for my liking but I will soldier on...

dramabird
June 17th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I'm about halfway through the first book; I do intend to finish at some point, but right now it doesn't mix well with my all-day morning sickness. ;)

I think the premise is interesting (I'm not sure that any other main****** novel has tackled the whole sub/dom concept, which is pretty tantalizing), but the writing is soooo weak. Seriously, if the author was instructed that she was no longer allowed to have Ana bite her lip or look/stare at her hands/fingers; no longer allowed to describe Christian's eyes as penetrating; no longer allowed to describe the roommate as being tenacious; no longer allowed to mentioned that Christian has long fingers and legs; and no longer allowed to have characters gasp or murmur or have their lips "quirk" up in a smile ... there'd be no book left! It would be swiss cheese filled with holes! It's just repetition, repetition, repetition.

Just as "Twilight" spawned copycats, I'm hoping that these books will inspire some *good* writers to create some excellently written smut. *That* would make for a really interesting reading experience.

myGirl
June 17th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I'm reading the first book, and I do have a hard time putting it down. Dramabird hit the nail on the head, tho... very very repetitive to the point that some descriptive words are used in two sentences in a row. I'm still enjoying it. OH my.

Jenneilbluebell
June 17th, 2012, 12:32 PM
ive just recieved mine that i ordered off amazon havent had time to start it yet though, ive flicked through it and to be honest i dont think im going to like it lol i ordered it after all the hype, time will tell though :) :) xxx

Myloves
June 18th, 2012, 03:42 AM
I skimmed my sister's copy and I thought it sounded okay at first... but when I actually read the book, I changed my mind.

To be honest, I didn't like it much at all. The writing was terrible; but then again, the whole novel was originally meant to be a fanfic of Twilight and I thought Stephanie Meyer wasn't so great at writing either...

As for the plot? Well, there wasn't much of an interesting plot. It was all sex really. I found it to be really crass and I didn't like the way Christian Grey treated Ana (who I thought was annoying and rather whiny). He kind of creeped me out at times. Definitely not my cup of tea.

So yeah, I'm not interested in reading anymore of her books...

Wanting a daughter
June 18th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Interesting thread. My friend just recommended them to me 2 days ago and I was wondering whether to bother getting them. Apparently you can pick them up at Kmart at the moment for 10bucks so I might just yet.
Although I have just started the first Songs of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) and there are a pile of them so by the time I finish that lot....could be a year away....

TTC5
June 18th, 2012, 04:07 AM
I have almost finished part II can't say it really appeals to me. Don't know what all the hype was about :/

Lassie1982
June 18th, 2012, 04:18 AM
i was intrigued by all the hype! I ordered the trilogy from Free delivery worldwide on all books from The Book Depository (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk) (my all time favourite online bookstore!) so am waiting for it to arrive.
Im currently engrossed in Pillars of The Earth so don't know when i will get to it....but am very curious!

auroara78
June 18th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I keep hearing about this book on Facebook and read the first 10 pages for free on Amazon, and am undecided if I want to pursue it any further.....

I think the steamy plot lines is up my alley (yeah, hate admitting that..) but the writing is very dull and lacks a clever edge. I also typically try to avod reading anything that's been hyped to death. I read 80 pages in the 'help' and it just did not appeal to me; it wasn't my kind of story I'd read, so I tried, but gave up and loaned it to a co worker who never returned it.

I just don't know about this book or even if I will read it, though how curious I am about it, I will surely eventually try to secure a copy of the 1st book and see how it goes. Kroger was even selling it the other day but I couldn't justify the 10 bucks on it atm. I would have rather ordered something new for the baby or got a steak.

Princess of Pink
June 18th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I really enjoyed it. It is far from a literary masterpiece, but I doubt you will find any erotic fiction that is! It is something fun and steamy to read that has a sweet ending.

Dom/sub has been covered in quite a few novels, like The Beauty Trilogy and Exit to Eden....all extremely graphic and erotic.

hopefulfornumber3
June 21st, 2012, 12:50 PM
I read all three! I loved them. Such a fantasy land while you are reading them. I agree, the writing isnt good. The british slang w the characters who were supposedly living in Portland drove me nuts. I am so surprised how many of you didnt like them. Everyone I know can NOT put them down! The first book is really slow til about 1/2 way through and the 2nd book was my favorite.

HappyLea
June 21st, 2012, 01:01 PM
Such mixed reviews! Im going to read them again i liked them that much :D
Everyone i know also cant put them down and love them.

deaks66
June 21st, 2012, 01:57 PM
I'm loving the first book but I do agree it is repetitive and I want Ana to grow a back bone and tell him where to go most of the time. Plus it doesn't make me want to leap into the sack.... which is a shame ;)

glory
June 22nd, 2012, 12:51 AM
OMG finally! I have to say this is the first place that I have ever heard anyone with any other opinion about them and I have to say I am releived. I have read all three and really don't get what all the hype is about.

I know the sex scenes were a little shocking, this didn't bother me, but I just think that the whole concept was way off base. It was poorly written and had so many holes in it. Really how many times can you have sex in a 3 week period!

I just wish he had loved her a little bit more, I know he 'changed' but he didn't really, he was still overpossesive and not someone I could live with. In the end, he got his way and she was basically everything he wanted. Though she thinks she enjoys it, how does she know any different? I saw her as a bit of a batterred woman. She is bullied and belittled at every step.

OK off my soapbox now :) I didn't hate it so much I couldn't read it, I suppose I just didn't get what was so captivating about it.

roxbelle
June 24th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Most people I know have raved about them so it's good to hear some different opinions. Still not sure if I'll give them a go but it's hard to ignore the hype!