PDA

View Full Version : If timing is not as important as diet...

ThreeMenAndALAdy
June 17th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Why are so many women still doing a cut off instead of bding through O? Just wondering. I'd love some feedback. I'm thinking of going straight through on the LE diet. I got my dd by going straight through and got a ds by doing the same. But didn't do a diet with either or them, just drank loads of CL with my dd. Thanks in advance for your responses...I'm so curious.

pink carol
June 17th, 2012, 01:11 PM
I did timing because there are so many studies which still seem to link timing and swaying, though they also underline the importance of diet (e.g: the Dutch study). In the Billings method book and in Toni Weschler's "Taking charge of your fertility" they also sort of trust the timing theory. One of my best friends conceived her dd with a Shettles cut-off. It's a personal decision, I guess. I thought I preferred timing than 0+12, because my ds1 was conceived when I had fertile EWCM. I did not temp at the time but it must have been close enough to ovulation. But then, my perfect Shettles 3 and a half-day cut-off made me conceive ds2.
Two of my friends also had frequent bd through ovulation and had girls, but then their diet is very much LE.
In my case it was a matter of choice because I was too scared of bd through ovulation.
You can never know! The Dutch study claims that diet + a timing of 3-4 days delivers a girl 81% of the time.
Almost all studies advise you to avoid ovulation, but then Atomic doesn't believe in timing.

dramabird
June 17th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Well, there's a difference between timing (when you DTD) and frequency (how often you DTD and/or DH releases). I think some ladies are doing cutoff because they're trying to reduce the overall number of sperm present ... while others are BD through O because they don't know exactly when they will O (none of us really do until after the fact, right?) and want to get pg.

For my fourth cycle (when I finally got my bfp), DH and I DTD six days in a row, with the final one being on O day. While that clearly brought enough sperm on board to get my pg, I'm hoping it wasn't blue-level amounts, since he also did pretty intense FR (10-11 times the week before our attempts started), and I didn't have EWCM and we used saliva for lube and we DTD with me on top and I used RepHresh and DH had used some LR.

So the more other sway tactics the person is using, I think the "safer" it is to add attempts (and therefore BD through O). Atomic, correct me if I'm wrong on that?? Also, as Atomic has said, most babies, be they girl or boy, are conceived one and two days prior to O.

atomic sagebrush
June 17th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Why are so many women still doing a cut off instead of bding through O? Just wondering. I'd love some feedback. I'm thinking of going straight through on the LE diet. I got my dd by going straight through and got a ds by doing the same. But didn't do a diet with either or them, just drank loads of CL with my dd. Thanks in advance for your responses...I'm so curious.

Because a lot of people are trying to do only one attempt, they're aiming for the day with the best odds of conception and BD at pos. OPK/day before O has higher rates of conception than BD on O day does.

Some people just like to do 2-3 day cutoffs. I don't think it sways, but that's their call to make of course.

BD through O is an acceptible strategy for pink but just make sure that you start your BD so you have 7 releases in before the first possible BD that can get you pregnant. That can be as early as CD 3-5. Dr. Shettles did think BD thru O swayed pink, but his reasoning was flawed unfortunately.

The downside of BD through O is that you add a lot of high pH semen and also high numbers of sperm (the more BD you do, the more potential that some sperm from each batch will survive and add up to high numbers), both of which may sway blue.

No frequency pattern sways by a huge amoutn so you'll find boys and girls conceived with every possible frequency pattern under the sun.

atomic sagebrush
June 17th, 2012, 06:46 PM
It's not that "I don't believe in timing" (altho I don't!!), it's that the science does not support it and what Dr. Shettles claimed as fact has been completely debunked.

For those who haven't read it, here is the case against timing. The studies that claim to support timing are ALL very poorly done and all the well done studies have found that timing doesn't sway. http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gender-swaying-discussion/7691-trouble-timing.html

I never ask anyone to take anything on faith in what I believe, it's that I think logic and evidence clearly demonstrates that timing just cannot be swaying. There are PLENTY of studies that show timing doesn't sway.

Falling2Grace
July 4th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Good question!
Im interested in this too...

BeadinMom
July 4th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Atomic, as always, thanks for such a detailed explanation! I am definitely considering BDing through O. I just want to get pregnant as soon as possible!! :)

atomic sagebrush
July 4th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Good question!
Im interested in this too...

Did my explanation help you Grace, or do you need more info??

Falling2Grace
July 5th, 2012, 12:38 AM
It did help :) Thank you. You are so knowledgeable!
I missed you reply, and then saw it after i posted :oops:

Falling2Grace
July 5th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Because a lot of people are trying to do only one attempt, they're aiming for the day with the best odds of conception and BD at pos. OPK/day before O has higher rates of conception than BD on O day does.

Some people just like to do 2-3 day cutoffs. I don't think it sways, but that's their call to make of course.

BD through O is an acceptible strategy for pink but just make sure that you start your BD so you have 7 releases in before the first possible BD that can get you pregnant. That can be as early as CD 3-5. Dr. Shettles did think BD thru O swayed pink, but his reasoning was flawed unfortunately.

The downside of BD through O is that you add a lot of high pH semen and also high numbers of sperm (the more BD you do, the more potential that some sperm from each batch will survive and add up to high numbers), both of which may sway blue.

No frequency pattern sways by a huge amoutn so you'll find boys and girls conceived with every possible frequency pattern under the sun.

this makes a lot of sense when i think back to my boys conceptions.

dannikins
July 5th, 2012, 01:18 AM
well i was always abit 'iffy' about the whole timing theory.
i had 2 of my 4 boys with a 3 day cut off, which is technically in the girl zone.

but my baby girl was a one shot deal 5 days before Ovulation.
and im pretty sure that was the contributing factor in her being a girl, because i had not even started my sway yet, and i had no other sway techniques in practice at the time, other than J&D.

so i use to be a sceptic, but it worked for me...:)

atomic sagebrush
July 5th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I"m sorry, I don't mean to quibble at all and I'm really glad you got your DD. But really, you don't know that it worked for you though, Dannikins. It happened that you conceived a girl 5 days before O, but if, as the best science seems to indicate, 50-50 boys and girls are conceived on every day of the cycle in groups of people who were NOT swaying, then we have equal odds of conceiving a girl or a boy on any of the days. The timing is just a coincidence. If you flipped 4 coins on Monday and got heads, then on Tuesday you woke up and flipped a coin and got tails, that does not mean that Tuesdays have any quality that makes them more likely to produce tail coin flips. There are TONS of ladies on this site who (like you) have 1-2-3-4-more cutoff boys and then went onto conceive girls in Shettles' boy timing, not to mention every blue sway opposite who up until very recently were virtually all conceived spot on O.

It is TOTALLY possible for a person to have many of one gender and then either from sheer luck or a change in their body chemistry, have the other gender. Michelle Duggar has conceived 5 girls in a row after having 6 boys, my great-grandma and Keeley from IG had two boys in a row after 6 girls, all without swaying. It happens every day.

Again, not trying to quibble but I just want to present the information as accurately as possible for anyone who is new to the site and reads only this thread. I don't want anyone to base their sway on timing because it doesn't work, hardly anyone will get pregnant with a 5 day cutoff anyway, and I want everyone to get their DG.

mydream
July 5th, 2012, 10:21 AM
BD through O is an acceptible strategy for pink but just make sure that you start your BD so you have 7 releases in before the first possible BD that can get you pregnant. That can be as early as CD 3-5.

Sure hoping this worked for me ..thats what we did..which was way different than when I conceived my boys..we bd (not FR) from like cd 8- ovulation which was probably around cd15 or so...
this time it was FR for 11 days and then like BD 3 attempts....