PDA

View Full Version : Amniocentecis Test ?

sweetsister
June 19th, 2012, 03:52 AM
Im having difficulties deciding if i want to do this test?
My last 2 pregnancies i didnt,but now i am 38 and my doctor is really trying to convince me to?
Im afraid of the risk of preterm labour, or other,is this a simple procedure not to worry about?
My dh wants to,but im iffy about it?Any one have thoughts on it?

Butterfly Spirit
June 19th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Im having difficulties deciding if i want to do this test?
My last 2 pregnancies i didnt,but now i am 38 and my doctor is really trying to convince me to?
Im afraid of the risk of preterm labour, or other,is this a simple procedure not to worry about?
My dh wants to,but im iffy about it?Any one have thoughts on it?

Hi Sweet Sister! Anything to up the risk of miscarriage or pre-term labor and I won't do it.

You do what you feel you should do.

I personally have never had this test done.

toomanyboys
June 19th, 2012, 07:36 AM
i am 37 and they have told me they don't consider it (nor did they with my sister in law who was 40 when she was expecting) i asked her if they seemed to urge her at all but she said they take the blood test and if that comes out high risk then they will offer it to her or me for that matter. is there a reason why your doctor is urging you? did you get an NT scan or the blood test did they come out normal? i opted out of a NT scan as i was told at my 10.5 week scan by the tech (she was an elderly tech) that she didn't seem concerned and thought i wouldn't need it. also i have decided to let it be a surprise and having a 12 scan and photo which shows me any kind of hint wll ruin it for me for the next 20 weeks if i know it is not the gender i want.
i do not understand 38 is not considered old.....if your blood test and nt scan (had youhad one) are normal i wouldn't even consider it for one min.
:)

sweetsister
June 19th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Yes i just had the NT scan and she said it was o.k. i mentioned to her that and she said it still doesnt rule it out,and that it is a very tiny risk and also if i dont do the amnio and wait until the later blood test it is very expensive as well.Iguess different countries have different practices.
I dont know im so undecided...

toomanyboys
June 19th, 2012, 08:55 AM
if your blood test, your NT scan have all come back with low risk then it is really not necessarry. if there is a risk in the family (other members with children's and disabilities, then i would consider it. my sis ter in law was 41 by the time she had her baby. the doc and nurses and tech thats did her scans and blood tests didn;t even flinch..the chances of anything being wrong is very low esp at 38. if you were 45+ then i would say maybe go for it although even then it all depends on your health the health of your previous children and your gut instincts. i actually have to pay for my NT scan and it is around Ģ190. thats alot of money for something that may be somewhat better than the blood test but still not guanrateed.
amnioscentisis is not a joke....it does carry a risk and i am not sure how i would deal if it did cause something to go wrong esp if the results come back perfectly fine. my baby has been a little active been i have felt flutters from week 7 and now am definately feeling more movement and butteflies then before....i have bonded with this child.....i would find it heartbreaking if something were to go wrong esp if it is in vein...:)
or like my SIL said when i told her...aren;t you worried soemthing will be worng with the baby? she then said....well you gotta have a bit of faith.....and now she has athe most active bright little wriggly worm you could think of.....
38 is not old...maybe opt for the first trimester blood test then see how you feel if they get your risk calculations...:)

sweetsister
June 19th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Well we do have high risk in our family,thats another reason why im so torn,i just dont want to risk hurting the baby though,and also i think it is 1 in 180 chance when you are 38 and 1 in 110 chance when you are 40 so its goes up alot from the age of 36.

sweetsister
June 20th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Bumping for more opinions...
And is there anyone who has had the Amniocentesis and can tell me what they experienced?

Indira
June 20th, 2012, 03:47 AM
Sorry, I canīt help you, I didnīt have an amniocentesis. I know a lot of people that had one without complications.

I think before considering the risks, you should ask yourself if you would terminate the pregnancy if the baby has a sindrome. For me that would be the only reason to have one.

I really understand youīre worried and confused about what to do, I didnīt have a NT scan and when it was to late I wish I had. For a couple of weeks I was convinced the baby has Down syndrom and worried a lot about it. Iīm 36 now and was under 35 when I had the boys so it was never an issue then. I stopped worrying after the anatomical scan, the baby did have one soft sign, but seeing him/her in 4D made me start bonding and stop worrying about it.

Good luck with your decision :luck:

sweetsister
June 20th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Thanks ,it does help.