PDA

View Full Version : Atomic, should I take vitex to get af back?

ThreeMenAndALAdy
June 20th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I've been bf my son for almost a year with no af in sight. Should I take vitex to get it back? Does vitex help with that...and I'm scared. Some women seem to respond well to it and others don't. I don't want to screw my cycle up any more than it will be once it returns.

Butterfly Spirit
June 20th, 2012, 02:20 PM
According to my research before I decided to take it:
Women take Vitex to bring on AF, and it has worked!
It took my postpartum AF a year and a half to return naturally while BFing my son. I'm still bfing him, and he is 2.
I tried to conceive 10ish months without anything, and then I took Vitex and conceived both cycles. I had a M/C the first conception cycle though because of low thyroid function I believe.

My threads are: VITEX time (First Loss Conception)
and My VITEX Journey (Recent Conception)

Good Luck hon! :) I believe in Vitex!!!!

atomic sagebrush
June 20th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Vitex has helped my cycle come back and stay regular twice while BF, I feel it's safe, and I recommend it.

What you should do is (if you can remember) go back to what your cycles were before you got pg, and start taking it on CD 1-14 of the days that you WOULD have had previously to giving birth. A lot of times our cycles come back almost identically to what they were before.

ThreeMenAndALAdy
June 21st, 2012, 07:27 AM
Ok...so I think my cycles were about 30 days or so. If I start taking vitex how much do I take, and should I take it for 14 days still or a little longer since my cycles were about 30 or 31 days. And I'm also taking a prenatal...someone said sways blue. Should I just take folic acid, and how much? And can I move in with you Atomic? It would make my life a lot easier...hahahaha.

atomic sagebrush
June 21st, 2012, 12:58 PM
How are you at housework LOL?!? ;)

Take 400 mg vitex am and 400 pm (total 800) for the first 14 days of your imaginary cycle and then stop even tho your cycle was a bit longer than that. A lot of us have found that we have to stop V a few days before O to prevent delaying it anyway, so that would actually be ideal for you.

Just take folic 1200-1600 mcg (that's MICROgrams, not milligrams). Try to find the 400-500 mcg pills and then take them 3-4 times a day, so morning, noon, afternoon, bedtime, because that's how folic is best absorbed.

ThreeMenAndALAdy
June 21st, 2012, 01:56 PM
Are prenatals a no no for pink?

Butterfly Spirit
June 21st, 2012, 10:03 PM
Just take folic 1200-1600 mcg (that's MICROgrams, not milligrams). Try to find the 400-500 mcg pills and then take them 3-4 times a day, so morning, noon, afternoon, bedtime, because that's how folic is best absorbed.

Oh man, now you've taught me something else. I'm taking 800 micrograms folic pill and then the prenatal with the 500 mcg. At the same time. I take my supps in the morning and my thyroid pill at night since I can't take it anywhere near supps.

atomic sagebrush
June 22nd, 2012, 12:07 PM
Are prenatals a no no for pink?

Yes, until you get a BFP at which point you should start them.

atomic sagebrush
June 22nd, 2012, 12:11 PM
Oh man, now you've taught me something else. I'm taking 800 micrograms folic pill and then the prenatal with the 500 mcg. At the same time. I take my supps in the morning and my thyroid pill at night since I can't take it anywhere near supps.

It's not that huge a deal Butterfly, at least you're getting SOME folic! It's just the best way to get the most folic, that way your body always has a ready supply of the stuff all the time. It uses what it needs at any given time, then pees out any excess, so if you take one big dose you pee most of it out. Smaller doses, your body just always has some handy.

ThreeMenAndALAdy
June 23rd, 2012, 11:47 AM
I looked back at a calendar from 2010. My last af was Sept 14, 2010. Should I wait till July 14th to start? My brain is mushy after 4 kids!!! Hope I'm making sense.

atomic sagebrush
June 26th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Yes.