PDA

View Full Version : Y sperm better able to survive hostile conditions?

harleyquinn
June 23rd, 2012, 10:13 PM
Whilst researching short follicular phases, I came across a couple of different studies that indicated that Y sperm are better able to swim/survive non-optimal cervical mucous environments and it seems there is an assumption that X spermatozoa are better able to survive non-fertile conditions. Idk, but I thought I would share anyway.

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/12/3/611.full.pdf

atomic sagebrush
June 23rd, 2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks for sharing!

I've seen this study before and it's very interesting (altho I wish it was newer and didn't simply rely on old studies for info. Some of the studies cited I know to be poorly done and essentially useless.)

I personally don't assume or believe that X is better able to survive non-fertile conditions, I believe that things that kill ALL sperm, both X and Y, tend to sway pink because lower numbers of sperm in the female repro tract seems to sway pink for reasons that we do not understand. The "X is hardy and lives a long time" idea has been totally debunked.

The fact is, we're getting results from making the conditions in our repro tract sperm hostile for pink, and sperm-friendly for blue, so it just can't be the case that Y is thriving in hostile conditions or else we'd not be getting the results we are.