PDA

View Full Version : need advice and thoughts on early ferning

lindi
January 29th, 2011, 04:32 PM
So I got an ovulation microscope as a way of checking my ovulation and estrogen levels to use in conjunction with checking my cervix and temping... I'm not ttc this month, (this is sort of my "practice month" so we can try for a 0+12 next month) and I'm cycle day 9 and I went from absolutely no ferning yesterday to quite a bit today. From what I understand, the ferning reflects the increasing estrogen as O approaches. I should ovulate around day 13 of my cycle, so this seems too soon for so much ferning- its definitely more than fragmented ferning. It seems like I have the same ferning as someone a day away from O, but I'm 5 days away!
I was going to do the combo white peony/licorice but my peony hasn't arrived yet. Maybe I need the interaction of the peony since the licorice is estrogenic. Hmm. It's weird that my CM doesn't reflect what seems to be ferning indicative of imminent ovulation!

atomic sagebrush
January 30th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Ok, I have my copy of TCOYF in my lap and let's see what I can find out!!

First of all, don't panic until you've gone through at least one cycle. This may just be normal for you. You'll be able to tell by your luteal phase how long your cycle was and when you actually ovulate(d) and then you'll have a better understanding of what's going on.

At day 9, it does seem possible that you might see the beginnings of ferning. If you look at the chart on this link, by Day 9 estradiol is def. on the rise. http://www.fertile-focus.com/test/saliva-fertility-monitor.html Maybe yours just rises a little quicker than the average person.

Do you think you could be Oing early because of the licorice, and maybe the licorice or some of the other supplements have dried up your CM?

It also seems possible to me that you have lowered your estrogen levels overall, and your body really has to bump up estrogen production to make up for it. So you may be releasing more estrogen than another person would because your body needs it to signal the egg. I have no evidence to support that, but it seems possible.

It does say on this page that "supplemental estrogen" could mess up the results, I wonder if licorice falls under that category??

lindi
January 30th, 2011, 12:58 PM
OK I didn't have any licorice yesterday and no ferning at all this morning, which makes more sense. I think it was all the licorice- but not my actual estrogen levels... You are supposed to use first morning saliva so your saliva isn't interacting with any foods, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't my internal body chemistry but the licorice in my mouth because the night before all the ferning I took a second dose of licorice tincture right before bed and squirted it way back on my tongue. I think even brushing my teeth the licorice was still sort of in my mouth which caused my saliva to be FULL of licorice in the morning, causing all that ferning. I'm relieved- and also how CRAZY about licorice! Powerful stuff...

atomic sagebrush
January 31st, 2011, 08:04 AM
Interesting!

lindi
January 31st, 2011, 03:57 PM
I know! I have partial ferning today, which is right on target.

atomic sagebrush
January 31st, 2011, 05:41 PM
I'll be filing this tidbit away for future reference, thanks for sharing!!