PDA

View Full Version : BPA

harleyquinn
June 27th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Environmental Health Perspectives: Exploring the Roots of Diabetes: Bisphenol A May Promote Insulin Resistance (http://ehp03.niehs.nih.gov/article/fetchArticle.action?articleURI=info%3Adoi%2F10.128 9%2Fehp.114-a48b)

It may seem totally obscure, but if there is a definite link between BPA (found in lining of canned foods and plastics) and diabetes (producing more insulin than necessary which in turn affects blood sugar which is relevant to swaying), it may offer another clue to what people are eating and what gender they are producing :think:

Hobbermittens
June 27th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I wonder if anyone will do a study on that connection?

atomic sagebrush
June 28th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Not obscure at all!! There are tons of people studying this and BPA is shown to alter the gender ratio in several animals.

BeadinMom
June 28th, 2012, 12:46 PM
BPA raising testosterone in men? – - CNN.com Blogs (http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/27/bpa-raising-testosterone-in-men/)

I was just looking at the BPA thing...
It says there was no noticeable change in testosterone levels in women, but I really wonder...

atomic sagebrush
June 28th, 2012, 01:04 PM
The confusion comes in that BPA is thought to lead to more GIRLS conceived! It's believed to be one of the reasons why the gender ratio has been dropping in recent years.

BeadinMom
June 28th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Wow...that's interesting! I would've thought the opposite! But, I guess it's sort of a toxin and any kind of toxin would sway pink.

harleyquinn
June 28th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of the blood sugar angle...the "tricking" the pancreas to produce more insulin, which would lead to wild flucuations in blood sugar, would be swaying pink, rather than testosterone being affected, or affecting sperm as a toxin. Nasty stuff!!

Speaking of toxins, I read this study which was FASCINATING because of the HUGE decrease in sex ratio, and at the bottom, they list the known toxins. What is really interesting, is that paternal exposure to non-ionizing radiation increases the sex ratio, and maternal exposure lowers it! (according to that study, anyway) At any rate, the sex ratio in the area of CA really makes you think of how alot of this stuff is just somewhat out of our control if things in the environment are affecting us in ways that we can't foresee (BPA being a good example).

Our Stolen Future: Declining sex ratio in a First Nation community in Ontario. (http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/NewScience/reproduction/sexratio/2005/2005-0818mackenzieetal.htm)

harleyquinn
June 28th, 2012, 02:38 PM
WAIT...it was paternal expsosure to IONIZING radiation and maternal to non-inionzing! The plot thickens..:rofl:

Hobbermittens
June 28th, 2012, 03:26 PM
The confusion comes in that BPA is thought to lead to more GIRLS conceived! It's believed to be one of the reasons why the gender ratio has been dropping in recent years.

Is that when the mother consumes too much BPA, or the father?

atomic sagebrush
June 28th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Is that when the mother consumes too much BPA, or the father?

They have no idea, just speculation.

atomic sagebrush
June 28th, 2012, 05:51 PM
WAIT...it was paternal expsosure to IONIZING radiation and maternal to non-inionzing! The plot thickens..:rofl:

It thickens even more because there are also studies that contradict those.

I need to do an essay on these but obviously it will be quite labor intensive!!! :)

Thanks for sharing the links, keep em coming! I wish I had more time to post links in this section!!