PDA

View Full Version : mood = gender?

lindi
January 31st, 2011, 05:20 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3534080.stm

atomic sagebrush
January 31st, 2011, 05:52 PM
Super interesting thank you! I'm def. an optimist.

lindi
January 31st, 2011, 06:30 PM
I am trying to be pessimistic and trying to believe I will die young.

atomic sagebrush
January 31st, 2011, 07:42 PM
lindi, you don't look well... ;)

skrimpy
January 31st, 2011, 07:50 PM
apparently I was a pessimist when my 9yo DD was born, though I would not have thought so, lol. I was not a pessimist with this DD I'm pregnant with now until I got knocked up by accident, lol. I'll work even harder now on getting over GD and brightening my outlook on life from here on out :p

crystal-light
January 31st, 2011, 09:00 PM
Def. an optimist here....might have to change my way of thinking, at least for a little while, lol

pinksapphire
January 31st, 2011, 09:39 PM
I don't believe it.

Pixiedoll
February 1st, 2011, 04:31 AM
I swing violently between both and always have (bi-polar anyone?) But I was VERY headstrong when conceived DS and quite beaten down/ quieter (had a hard year) when conceived DD. In the workplace I noticed I was far more passive when I conceived DD. When I conceived DS I would quite happily tell people where to stick it and not worry about it..I actually have been much more 'meek' of late..yuk!
x

atomic sagebrush
February 1st, 2011, 09:48 AM
I don't believe it.

Yes, this is one of those things that is def. a bit on the "voodoo" side of swaying. I would think it is far, far more likely that something hormonal inclines people to have an optimistic outlook on life and the same something hormonal sways blue somehow. NOT that optimism sways blue, but that HORMONES do.

And, as always, there are a million exceptions and contradictions.

Viene
February 1st, 2011, 11:51 AM
Yes, this is one of those things that is def. a bit on the "voodoo" side of swaying. I would think it is far, far more likely that something hormonal inclines people to have an optimistic outlook on life and the same something hormonal sways blue somehow. NOT that optimism sways blue, but that HORMONES do.

I completely agree with this. Hormones are a huge reason for our personalities. This is why I think this online test does have some merit because emotions and personality goes hand in hand with hormones.

http://www.sexratio.com/test.php

And FWIW, I was more on the optimistic side when I conceived my son.

pinksapphire
February 1st, 2011, 01:29 PM

Right. And just to add my two cents.....I was intensely grieving the loss of my baby girl when we conceived our first son so there was NO optimism going on there! I think the article also states that if the mother believes she will live a long life she will more likely conceive a son. Again, not true for both DH and I since we both lost parents when they were very young and we've always, unfortunately, felt that we too will live the same fate (a short life).

There's just too many factors that affect conception to pinpoint it on one thing.

lindi
February 1st, 2011, 07:05 PM
I completely agree with this. Hormones are a huge reason for our personalities. This is why I think this online test does have some merit because emotions and personality goes hand in hand with hormones.

http://www.sexratio.com/test.php

And FWIW, I was more on the optimistic side when I conceived my son.

apparently I have an 80% chance of having a girl. But what about the hair on my chin? ;)

Viene
February 1st, 2011, 09:15 PM
apparently I have an 80% chance of having a girl. But what about the hair on my chin? ;)

Part of the other 20%? lol. Is it just the one hair? Is it a whisker or long peach fuzz? Hopefully with doing your testosterone lowering things it will go away.

lindi
February 1st, 2011, 10:48 PM
Part of the other 20%? lol. Is it just the one hair? Is it a whisker or long peach fuzz? Hopefully with doing your testosterone lowering things it will go away.

Lol. It is totally a whisker. And it's reared it's little pointy self again today! After all that peppermint tea and lavender and licorice and peony! And nails and massages! It was my little test of how good things have been working. But I should just be easy going about it. I'm not gonna pick a fight or anything with it. Whatever. Right?

Orchid
February 2nd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Dang it. I am a life-is-too-short-cherish-every-second kinda person. Ofcourse headstrong and competetive. The test says I will have 85% chance of having a boy. Why am I not surprised? It will be very difficult to change my personality if I ever have to sway. Eek.

But what about the hair on my chin? ;)

That was funny.

atomic sagebrush
February 2nd, 2011, 11:43 AM

LOL, I hate to spoil the fun but of course the test only works if you DON'T know in advance that optimist = blue and pessimist = pink!!

Stick with the diet, the hair on my chin went away and hasn't been back since!!!

lindi
February 2nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
LOL, I hate to spoil the fun but of course the test only works if you DON'T know in advance that optimist = blue and pessimist = pink!!

Stick with the diet, the hair on my chin went away and hasn't been back since!!!

Um, yeah- that's where I got the idea to monitor my chin hair! *sigh* And I really tried to answer those questions honestly, Atomic! I NEVER feel "triumphant" or "masterful", (but I do feel defeated- esp. when a chin hair keeps popping out.)

atomic sagebrush
February 2nd, 2011, 02:45 PM
lindi, for what it's worth my observations have been that you do seem higher in T - doing lots of research, asking lots of questions - but I KNOW that is not the end all, be all. babydust asked tons of questions and did tons of research and still conceived a girl. It can be done, it's not impossible.

crystal-light
February 2nd, 2011, 04:21 PM
Lol. It is totally a whisker. And it's reared it's little pointy self again today! After all that peppermint tea and lavender and licorice and peony! And nails and massages! It was my little test of how good things have been working. But I should just be easy going about it. I'm not gonna pick a fight or anything with it. Whatever. Right? LOL, I have about 3 of those that rear there ugly little heads..ugh. I also notice my "mustache" is getting more noticeable, the hair isn't coarse but it's noticable. Got to start getting my T levels down!
Oh yeah and the test said I have 85% chance of a baby girl..I checked kind, friendly, happy, relaxed, thankful, responsible and a couple of others....go figure

crystal-light
February 2nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
I also need to get my Estrogen levels down. Any supps to help with that?

lindi
February 2nd, 2011, 04:37 PM
lindi, for what it's worth my observations have been that you do seem higher in T - doing lots of research, asking lots of questions - but I KNOW that is not the end all, be all. babydust asked tons of questions and did tons of research and still conceived a girl. It can be done, it's not impossible.

Oh no! That means high T? What if I'm depressed while doing it? :( I just get excited about science things! Do you think this whole swaying thing will be a bust for me? I'm really starting to think it's impossible, and maybe I should go HT.

Viene
February 2nd, 2011, 04:44 PM
What babydust did, and I think is a good idea is did all the researching well in advance and had her plan ready to go in a notebook so around attempt time she did what she could to relax and stay off the computer more. I think it's a good idea for you too, Lindi.

lindi
February 2nd, 2011, 05:07 PM
What babydust did, and I think is a good idea is did all the researching well in advance and had her plan ready to go in a notebook so around attempt time she did what she could to relax and stay off the computer more. I think it's a good idea for you too, Lindi.

That is what I am desperately trying to do right now. I have one month so I need to figure all of this out like, yesterday. I am sorry if I've got lots of questions- this is such an amazing resource. I can't thank you all enough for helping me! Its so so emotional. This is about creating a baby. This is about my life, and a whole new life! Its pretty overwhelming in every regard.

sunnyinflorida
February 2nd, 2011, 05:29 PM
hmmmm not so sure I think I see life always as a optimist. I guess noithing is 100% ;)

atomic sagebrush
February 3rd, 2011, 10:30 AM
hmmmm not so sure I think I see life always as a optimist. I guess noithing is 100% ;)

Sunny, I thought of you right away when I read this! Totally NOT true for you! You are very optimistic!!!

atomic sagebrush
February 3rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
That is what I am desperately trying to do right now. I have one month so I need to figure all of this out like, yesterday. I am sorry if I've got lots of questions- this is such an amazing resource. I can't thank you all enough for helping me! Its so so emotional. This is about creating a baby. This is about my life, and a whole new life! Its pretty overwhelming in every regard.

I understand! I LOVE questions and I'm not trying to confuse or discourage anyone. I just really really want everyone to get their DG and I feel like I have to lay it out on the line and be as honest as I can about what mechanisms are REALLY at play and how they seem to work so people don't waste time on "voodoo" while ignoring the things that actually affect gender ratio.

atomic sagebrush
February 3rd, 2011, 12:10 PM
Here's kind of a funny article about sex and mood! Maybe DTD a lot makes us optimistic LOL!!

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-sex/201101/attention-ladies-semen-is-antidepressant

lindi
February 4th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Here's kind of a funny article about sex and mood! Maybe DTD a lot makes us optimistic LOL!!

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-sex/201101/attention-ladies-semen-is-antidepressant

haha just read the headline! This coupled with more depressed=more girls, maybe abstinence has another notch on the girl sway side of things!

babydust
February 12th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Yep, that's exactly what I did :). I really tried to do my research before hand, stay off computer a bit more, and then just tried to relax during my sway. I'm sure I still asked some questions here and there, I don't really remember anymore, but it was way less. Took bubble baths (not around O week though), read, took walks with my Ds down to the beach and around our neighborhood, went to the nail place, got mini massages, took little naps on the weekend, cooked all my girl friendly meals on the weekend so that I didn't have to worry about what to eat during the week...really just tried to enjoy life, and my family the best that I could :). It was nice to destress and take it easy. Of course Im' sure there were times when stress came up, but I really tried my best to de-stress and get everything out of the way and all research done before sway time. I don't know if all of that helped me to conceive a girl, all I know is that it definitely didn't hurt my chances...and IMHPO, I think it did help in combination with other swaying factors.

atomic sagebrush
February 12th, 2011, 02:50 PM
You know I was thinking about your sway the other day babydust, and I almost wonder if you did something pretty smart...first you asked the q's and got kinda excited over it and probably raised your T higher, so then when you went on the diet and relaxed, it may have been easier to lower your T levels because they were a little higher than normal to begin with. (if that makes any sense!)

babydust
February 12th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Oh that makes sense! I never even thought of it that way. I think it goes along with the whole "shocking the system" theory that I really believe in. We all try and shock our system with the diet by drastically cutting calories (low nutrient theory) and changing diet to girl friendly foods and losing weight, so I think maybe "shocking our hormones" might work as well. Our body realizes that something is drastically different and tries to overcompensate. Maybe my T levels were super high before my sway (which I highly thing they were) and then it was way easier for them to come down, even lower than normal, once I relaxed and kicked back during the 6 week sway...if that makes any sense! haha. I get what your saying, cool theory!

Zivic-Bubac
March 20th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Oh no!:sad:
I'm trying to be more optimistic, but I'm worried most of the time...

atomic sagebrush
March 21st, 2011, 11:16 AM
Don't let this be one more thing to worry over, Zivic! This is one of those things that is interesting but in the real world, nothing that any of us should stress over.

It's VERY likely that it is nothing to do with your mental outlook! It's probably just a coincidence - perhaps women with higher testosterone levels tend to be more optimistic AND have more boys. So if you were a pessimist with higher testosterone levels, you'd STILL have more boys, because it's the testosterone that matters and nothing to do with optimism or pessimism.

Some of my best friends from IG are a bit on the pessimistic side, anxious, etc and have all boys!!