PDA

View Full Version : more evidence for the health benefits of breastfeeding for MOMS!

atomic sagebrush
February 1st, 2011, 09:17 AM
Breastfeeding can help prevent flareups of multiple sclerosis! I wonder if it can help prevent developing MS? I live in the number one area of the country, number two in the world for developing MS so this is near and dear to my heart!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/06/08/us-sclerosis-breastfeeding-idUSTRE5575OK20090608

Melpomene
February 1st, 2011, 12:00 PM
Well, I have IC which is an auto-immune disease as well. WHile I was breast feeding my symptoms went away. But after I stopped they cam back.
Not sure about BFing stopping the development of MS. I know most women get diagnosed right after having a baby. I was in a support group for MS. I was misdiagnosed with it right after my first miscarriage.
I remember one of the women saying that she had symptoms of MS while in the hospital after giving birth. Maybe it would help if the baby was put on the breast immediatley? BUt then again the milk doesn't come in for a few days ...
Good question Kristin.

nuthinbutpink
February 1st, 2011, 03:19 PM
I know a lady with MS and all her symptoms go away when she is pregnant. It is like magic.

Lilian78
February 1st, 2011, 03:36 PM
My mom has MS, and was told to stop breastfeeding me after a few months (Dr. said could be contributing to symptoms)--interesting.