PDA

View Full Version : Slow Heartbeat?? Progesterone dropped @ 6 weeks

ILindGurl
July 9th, 2012, 03:21 PM
We had our third ultrasound test today. Baby is measuring about 6 weeks, 2 days and we finally saw a heartbeat! My only concern is that the dr said it is on the slower side (in the 80s). He said maybe its just because it's on the earlier side and we go back in a week to see if the heartbeat has increased into a better range 100+. Also, my beta results were 36000+ for hCg which is great, but my progesterone was 22 (at the last beta it was 35). They said it's normal for progesterone to fluctuate....but of course, Im concerned that somehow this will not be a viable pregnancy. (To give background, I am 40 and found out that I had diminished ovarian reserve FSH 20, AMH .4 mid-May and greatly reduced chance to conceive naturally....then that same month I found out we were pregnant after trying for 8 mos.)

Anyone else have a slower heartbeat at first?
Anyone have progesterone drop that much?

Thank you for any feedback/advice you have!!

Zivic-Bubac
July 9th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Can you ask you ob/gyn to prescribe you progesterone?

ILindGurl
July 9th, 2012, 06:17 PM
I asked about the drop in progesterone, but they seem to think it's fine and not worried about it. Maybe bec it's still above 20? I also read online that there is conflicting evidence whether or not prog supplements would help save an abnormal pregnancy...so many docs won't use it unless there is real evidence it could help. But, they don't seem bothered by that.

I guess my big concern is really the lower heart rate. I called back the office to find out the official number (bec I basically didn't register it after he said, it's on the slower side). It was 87 bpm.

:nails: Please be healthy and stick little bean!!!

coocoobananas
July 9th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I was just looking it up a bit and people were saying how it is hard to hear the heartbeat that early and it could in fact be counted wrong and/or the heart could have literally just start beating that second for all they know... Good luck, fx everything is fine:)

atomic sagebrush
July 15th, 2012, 09:09 PM
I'm sorry I just saw this! I don't know anything about it but keeping you in my prayers.

ILindGurl
July 16th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Ok, so we had a follow up ultrasound today. Baby measures 7 weeks 1 day (so missing 1 day? last monday it was 6 weeks, 2 days) and the heart rate is now up to 119 bpm. I shared my concerns about the slower heart rate, and the doctor didn't seem to concerned -- and happy with the amount it went up. He did say that the growth rate could/could not be a concern...he said being off by a day or two may not be an issue...(but it could also be, it will take time to see). He suggested we do another ultrasound next week and told me to make an appointment with my regular OB. I'm still super nervous about this pregnancy and wish I could just feel good about it. I'll get my beta results later this afternoon.

nuthinbutpink
July 16th, 2012, 08:56 AM
That's great!

ILindGurl
July 16th, 2012, 09:52 AM
thanks, nuthinbutpink....I read that above 120 at 7 weeks is good...we are certainly pretty close (and considering I'm sure there is difference between ultrasound machines, etc.)...I hope it's a positive sign.

auroara78
July 16th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I'm happy things are still moving along, and I hope you'll get more reassurances about the pregnancy from the beta so you can enjoy the moment :)

ILindGurl
July 16th, 2012, 01:15 PM
thanks, auroara!! really appreciate your support :)

coocoobananas
July 16th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Oh good! So nice to hear:)

ILindGurl
July 16th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks, Coocoobananas. I still feel like I'm taking this pregnancy week by week, but for now it's still on the positive side = so I'll take it! Thanks for following my story and your support!!

mydream
July 16th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I am just following this now and so glad that things are going well.
From you first post, I have to tell you, I wasn't worried. It was super early and the levels of progesterone do fluctuate..

BeadinMom
July 16th, 2012, 04:28 PM
So happy things are looking up and you can relax and enjoy that sweet bean!! :) XX

ILindGurl
July 16th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks mydream & BeadinMom for your comments. I wish I had everyone's confidence -- it does help a little, so thank you again. I feel a bit better about heart rate, but I am still concerned because baby only grew 4mm during this past week (CRL from .52cm to .96cm). Dr and online info says they usually grow 1mm per day. Hopefully, we will know more next week....Maybe he/she will make it up this week? Or is just has a slower growth pattern?

ILindGurl
July 16th, 2012, 05:20 PM
ok, so more updates with betas. ARGH...why can't I just get good answers!

my progesterone has now dropped to 19. RE said it's still in the normal range, and he has seen plenty of normal healthy pregnancies with dropping progesterone...but if I want he could prescribe supplements for me...only thing is if it's an abnormal pregnancy it would just prolong the inevitable...which I don't really want.

hcg levels were 56,000 range. So that is good...and he said at this point they start leveling off.

He seems to remain fairly positive, but said we need to wait and see. that so far everything is in "normal range" even the slower growth. He said unfortunately he has seen pregnancies with even better growth, heart rates, etc. that end in miscarriage so it's one of those things, you just never know. ARGH. I just want to know!!! LOL. But, for now this little bean is keeping me wondering and waiting...I will keep doing some meditation and sending him/her positive energy. I hope sharing my little journey helps someone else!!

girlmom
July 16th, 2012, 05:52 PM
your progesterone is fine. my doctor said anything 20 or above and you are usually fine. if its 5 or lower you will most likely miscarry. mine was 12 so thats a grey area. but she's 2 now so everything turned out fine. my 3rd had a low heartbeat. at 7weeks she was 90 the doctor said lets just wait and see. well she's 7 now! doc thinks her heart had just started beating. it starts out slow and builds up. good luck but it sounds to me like its a sticky bean!

skrimpy
July 16th, 2012, 06:16 PM
((hugs)) praying for your little bean - I hope you get a strong hb next week <3

ILindGurl
July 16th, 2012, 06:24 PM
thanks girlmom & skrimpy. I'm thinking about calling back my RE in the morning and maybe taking the progesterone supplements. I mean, maybe it's pointless....falling progesterone might just be a symptom of a failing pregnancy. But at least if I do something to try and save it, maybe I will feel at peace that I did all I could to try and help. I just have been searching online, and everything says yes the prog numbers can fluctuate but should be increasing with the pregnancy. I take the test every monday morning at the same time, fasting....it's processed by the same lab (at the RE's office) so I honestly don't believe it's fluctuating numbers...if a few times it went up and then next week back down, I would believe that. But, I strongly believe the numbers are falling. There might be nothing I can do to change the inevitable....but maybe I should try? I hate playing with hormones....but would you take them?? I'm sure whatever he would prescribe would be a low dosage since I'm not that low (still in a normal range)

BeadinMom
July 16th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Just wanted to say I'm stalking your updates and saying prayers this all works out...♥

MrsLE
July 19th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Stick lil one. Rooting for you

myGirl
July 19th, 2012, 10:56 PM
I'm praying for you ILindGurl! Healthy baby vibes coming your way :HH:

alreadyneedivf
July 19th, 2012, 10:59 PM
hi sorry I just saw this. I just wanted to let you know that my progesterone dropped from like 30 to 14 and I thought for sure it was a miscarriage (I was gushing red blood). My RE said nope just take higher dose of PIO shots and I did. Now I have an almost 5 month old. Good luck!

Zivic-Bubac
July 20th, 2012, 10:51 AM
he could prescribe supplements for me...only thing is if it's an abnormal pregnancy it would just prolong the inevitable...
Or it would help sustain this pregnancy :agree:
I would DEFINITELY ask him for prog supps, from my experience, they can only help. If the baby is not viable ( God forbid!) prog won't do anything.

I was taking prog supps during 1st trimester in three last pregnancies and I keep wondering is the lack of prog reason for my m/c in 2001.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and lil bubba!!!!!

ILindGurl
July 21st, 2012, 05:23 PM
Thank you for your advice, Zivic! I started on the prog supplements on Wed :) so hoping we see a higher heartbeat and good growth next week!! Like you said, I decided I would rather just try than do nothing (and possible regret that later).

ILindGurl
July 21st, 2012, 05:24 PM
and thanks to all of you who posted your well wishes for our little bean -- you are all so awesome and gave me huge warm fuzzies!! I truly appreciate all of your good thoughts, prayers, etc!!

ILindGurl
July 23rd, 2012, 08:49 AM
I just wanted to thank all of you again for your support and well wishes. Unfortunately we found out today that our baby died probably yesterday based on growth. He/she had grown beautifully but there was no heartbeat :(

Shellbelle
July 23rd, 2012, 08:54 AM
Oh, I am so so sorry to hear that. Hugs and prayers to you.

nuthinbutpink
July 23rd, 2012, 08:57 AM
I'm sorry.

auroara78
July 23rd, 2012, 11:41 AM
I'm so so very sorry to hear this, hun...

:hugs:

coocoobananas
July 23rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
SO sorry to hear this too:(

mydream
July 23rd, 2012, 12:20 PM
I am so very sorry to be reading this. My thoughts and prayers are with you. (((HUGS)))

The Anchor
July 23rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
I am so sorry for your loss, may your family offer you the strength to get through this...

myGirl
July 23rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss IlindGurl. I know how much this baby was loved and wanted. You are still in my thoughts and prayers.

Butterfly Spirit
July 23rd, 2012, 04:24 PM
:HH: I am so very very sorry to hear about your loss :HH: