PDA

View Full Version : evening primrose oil vaginally

Journey2dFuture
July 25th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I've been doing some research on evening primrose oil..
Has anyone used this method to ripen their cervix?
What was your experience?
How long after using it did you go in to labor?
Do you think it helped?

Shellbelle
July 25th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Yes, I used it with dd. My dr commented on how soft and ripe my cervix was and dd was born 4 hours after starting pitocin. She was my second. I used it for about a week before my induction.

Journey2dFuture
July 25th, 2012, 10:27 AM
How many weeks were you when you started using it?
How long did you use it for?

Shellbelle
July 25th, 2012, 10:28 AM
37 weeks, for a week, 2 or 3 caps 2x a day.

Journey2dFuture
July 25th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I was thinking of inserting one cap every other evening.. I don't want to start anything to early. But I'm pretty much 'full term' If he's ready he's ready..

Shellbelle
July 25th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Good luck!

Hobbermittens
July 25th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I can't believe you are so close to having that baby! Time really went quickly! Good luck!

Journey2dFuture
July 25th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks HM :) It's crazy.. I honestly can't believe it. After all this time. The time is coming. And I'm nothing but scared!

Journey2dFuture
July 25th, 2012, 11:11 AM
What are the chances of this stuff working fast? Like all of a sudden my waters break or I lose my plug hours after inserting the first one?

NewYorkmom
July 25th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I used it with all three of my pregnancies. I started at 36 weeks and inserted several pills nightly. It never put me into labor but made my cervix more favorable for inductions. Good luck.

atomic sagebrush
July 25th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I did use it but not till I was almost 40 weeks. At 36 weeks I think you should just hold tight where you're at and not rush things (IMHO).

After I used it, I lost my plug right away (the next morning) but still did not go into labor until over a week later! so I'm probably being conservative on the 36 weeks thing - looks like several people have used it with no worries starting at 36 weeks! :agree:

Journey2dFuture
July 25th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Good to know about the plug AS. That has just confirmed for me.. I'll hold of at least in till next week. My DH is still out of town. not just a short drive, but a flight away.
Thank you :)
It's great to hear these experiences from 'real' people who have been there and done it.

atomic sagebrush
July 25th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Esp. if DH isn't at home, I'd wait just to be on the very safe side!! :)

Journey2dFuture
July 25th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Yep - Although so many people have had no to little response from using this over days/weeks.. I 'could' be that one person it starts of labor.. And all i wanted to do was soften my cervix lol.

NCBeachyGrl
July 25th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I used it with DS2 - started it at 35 weeks and DS2 was born at 37 weeks. I think it definitely made me progress faster than usual! I went in for my 36 visit and I was already 5 CM dilated. Not sure if I will use it this time!!!!

Super Mom of 6 Girls
September 5th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I am such a EPO lover! I have been induced with 3 of my 5 pregnancies. Even my twins were late and had to be induced. DD4 came on her own, nit sure why though. I started epo with dd5 but was worried about what it would do so i started it late but it did soften my cervix and that sped up my induction some. Now with dd6 i forget when i started taking it orally, maybe 39 weeks, taking 1000mg per day. Then on week 41, since i ALWAYS am still preggo at 42 weeks, i started taking 1300 mg and i would take one orally and insert one vaginally before bed. Then i got aggressive two nights before dd6 was born.......i took one epo orally and inserted two vaginally. I did this two nights in a row and the morning of februaury 11 i lost my mucus plug when i went pee, like first morning pee. Contrax started within that hour and really i didn't think i was in labor till i was getting uncomfortable at like 7pm that night, she was born at 10:54 that night. This time around i have to switch ob's because my ob can't deliver anymore because she is in practice alone and the other ob who used to back her if needed moved. My ob was great and let me go as far as possible past my due date so i could avoid induction. Now i will have to go to a group with like 10 drs so i think i will defiantely start epo earlier to try and avoid induction.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2