PDA

View Full Version : After 2 Chemicals need help understanding thyroid

OnlyPraying
July 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Hi everyone....Hope everyone still remembers me...

In March I had a chemical and after being recently diagnosed with hypo, I started taking thyroid medication on May 22. I thought I would be ok to maintain a pregnancy now but this month the same thing happened, I got a positive on the 21st and AF came on 23rd....I dont know what to think now....how long does it take for thyroid medication to fix your system? I need to know so I dont go through this hell again....Please help me..

Hobbermittens
July 26th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I'm sorry! That sounds really hard! :( I don't know how long it should take to regulate.... I have only 1/2 a thyroid, but haven't had to take medication. Have you asked the Dr. about it? I hope it resolves sooN!

MatildaMai
July 26th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I don't know the answer sorry but there are a couple of girls on the HT board that have dealt with thyroid issues and I know that they generally get a BT to check levels before cycling. You might want to post over there as well. Not sure if their issues were hypo or hyper but I recall their levels needing to be less than 2.5?? Or something like that. Have you had your levels checked since starting the meds?

stacey221958
July 26th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Hi! I was diagnosed with Hashitomotos last June and had to cancel the cycle I had started. I started on Synthroid but it took a while and a few dose changes for it to level out. I also had multiple failed IVF cycles after getting diagnosed. I made sure that my levels were 2.5 or under before I started this IUI cycle, it was averaging about 1 which I was happy about and I was successful. It takes about six weeks for the medicine to really work but if they change the dose it takes another six weeks. It was a long process. I get my blood drawn every four weeks now that I am pregnant and I take 50 of Synthroid which seems to be working. GL

michaela
July 27th, 2012, 04:13 AM
It can definitely be a long process to getting your dose right depending on how your body adjusts and responds to the meds. I have hypo and haven't had to change my dose for the last 4 years but my brother who is also hypo has not only had to change doses but his body wouldn't respond to Levithyroxine, only to the brand name Synthroid. I would keep testing just to make sure your levels are always below 2 or 2.5. The closer to 1 you are the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnlyPraying
July 27th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Oh thankyou so so much Hobber, stacey, matilda and Michaela!!!!! God Bless you ALL and may all your dreams come true....this helps immensely ..I have not gotten my levels checked yet but I did start out at 5.2 which is very high...I go for my first level check on Monday...hoping its atleast 3 by now....So from what I gather, I need to make sure my levels are 2 and less before I re start TTC eh? I'm on synthyroid 50mcg....

stacey221958
July 27th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Yes, closer to one is better.

stacey221958
July 27th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Do you have an Endocrinologist or is your regular doctor treating you?

OnlyPraying
July 28th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Do you have an Endocrinologist or is your regular doctor treating you?
well I was diagnosed with thyroid when I went to local fertility clinic to get checked out. I will go to my doctor on Monday and see if she can refer me to an Endo...I dont know what the procedure is in Canada... :S [maybe some Canadian girls can chime in?]
I checked out your u/s pics Stacey, it looks like 2 girls for you! Your story is making me wanna go for IUI when my levels stabilize, hehe...the clinic is located just 5 mins down the road you know... :D

stacey221958
July 28th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Finding a good Endo is key. With this, keeping a close eye on things is very important especially while trying to get/stay pregnant. GL. PS, I am still in disbelief that any of them are girls let alone both lol.

michaela
July 28th, 2012, 11:23 PM
The RE at the fertility clinic should be able to help you with the thyroid stuff if they are good at what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnlyPraying
August 11th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Sorry ladies but I finally have an update....turns out my levels were too low [0.2 and normal is 0.35 to 4 !!!!! ] I was on 50 mcg Synthroid so now my doc wants me to cut back to 37.5 ....hopefully this will stabilize my levels...

Thankyou again for your support ladies and goodluck!

Hobbermittens
August 11th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I am glad you got it figured out! Hope the new levels will fix things.

michaela
August 11th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Sorry ladies but I finally have an update....turns out my levels were too low [0.2 and normal is 0.35 to 4 !!!!! ] I was on 50 mcg Synthroid so now my doc wants me to cut back to 37.5 ....hopefully this will stabilize my levels...

Thankyou again for your support ladies and goodluck!

Great news! I have had to play with my synthroid dose in the past and even got creative and had to do 25mcg on Friday and Monday instead of my normal 50mcg. LOL! The thyroid can be very tricky that's for sure! Just make sure your doc checks you again in a few weeks as mine then went up too high for his liking and I was back on the normal 50mcg and my levels went back to normal again.

tinksmagic
August 20th, 2012, 12:13 AM
I'm a HT'er with Hashimoto's. My ENT wouldn't put me on anything cuz my levels fluctuate. My TSH was 1.2 in May and 1.9 in July. I just had an ultrasound earlier this month as my remaining thyroid was enlarged and has nodules. Happy to say they are benign :)
I am going to see an endo as no one will test my T3 or T4 which can be way off even with a normal TSH. I have gone to a healthy lifestyle and it's paying off. Still no "oopsies", lol, but that's ok, we really just want our boys (I think everyone here knows that by now :) ) We were going to cycle again in October, but since it takes forever to get dr. appointments, we might have to wait til January now. Grrrr!
I did have my Vit D. checked Friday, should have results back tomorrow. My blood looks awesome compared to the "average" person. I stuck around to see it after the centrifuge and my plasma is this gorgeous golden yellow!!! (others were pale yellow)

Good luck! Hobber is living proof you can still get preggers with thyroid issues. I have 2 DDs with mine, but I *am* older now...