PDA

View Full Version : TMI Alert: What did you do to help have a BM after birth?

auroara78
July 31st, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hey ladies,

so I know gross question, but since I'll be having my 3rd C-section, and I'll be in the hospital for 3 days, I wanted to know if anyone ate / consumed anything that helped with the first BM to make it less painful. With both my sons, I didn't have a BM until 4 days after their birth, and it was extremely painful and horrific.

With c-sections they make you take perocet which helps to slow down the bowels even more, but I did recall eating some ice cream on my 2nd day there because they offered it and it was yummy. Hospital food is also very low in fiber, so what food works great?

My goal this time is to try to have a BM in the hospital before the 3 days are up, instead of struggling at home.

Again, very sorry for the TMI post, but just wanted to see what other ladies had done to speed the process.

Hobbermittens
July 31st, 2012, 11:34 AM
They have always given me stool softener at the hospital after birth. You should ask for that. Or maybe some Miralax? I usually have gone poop while still at the hospital with no issues.... but I also never get constipated during pregnancy, etc, because I have IBS. I have diarrhea more often than anything.

auroara78
July 31st, 2012, 11:37 AM
Yeah I was given a stool softener too, but it didn't do much. Maybe I need more? think they just gave me 1 a day. I was considering the old standby of prune juice but does it work quickly?

I also naively ate bananas after c-section with DS2 which I have discovered now can help a BM but works over a long period of time, is not good for fast relief. So I am def. looking for someething that will help push it thru quickly. Miralax is a good idea...i'll have to ask my OB about that.

atomic sagebrush
July 31st, 2012, 11:41 AM
I have had that prob. the last two times too with vag births. This time I'm going to bring a couple bottles of this stuff http://alodrink.com/ because it is like magic (we have little fridges in our hospital rooms)

they have given me stool softeners too and I didn't find that they worked that great for me.

Indira
July 31st, 2012, 11:42 AM
I worried a lot about this because I was already constipated in pregnancy, but both times it wasn't as bad as I expected.

To answer your question: 2 kiwi's a day, works perfectly for me.

Journey2dFuture
July 31st, 2012, 01:10 PM
I eat dried plums, But there not 'dry' still juicy.. I plan on asking DH to bring some in to the hospital to nibble on while I'm there (2days) I've had issues all through this pregnancy.

*ruby*
August 1st, 2012, 02:41 AM
We have something called fybogel that you mix with water and drink, maybe similar to the miralax. Otherwise LOTS of water and maybe take in some dried fruit (prunes, dried apricots etc). Also getting up and moving as soon as you feel up to it will help get things moving, seems to make a big difference.