PDA

View Full Version : Why only greek or organic yogurt??

mkarntz1980
February 5th, 2011, 01:13 AM
On IG in the first tier it says you can basically eat as much yogurt as you want, it just has to be greek or organic. Why is that? is it because of the added addititives and things like that?? I have been eating non-fat greek yogurt...has tons of calcium but no vit d and not many nutrients. But why couldnt I eat, fatfree yoplait that has aspartame added to it??

atomic sagebrush
February 5th, 2011, 01:53 PM
You CAN. In fact, I will go so far as to say you SHOULD. Fage fat-free yogurt has 20 grams of protein in one cup. Considering we're aiming for only 40 grams of protein, that is a ghastly amount of protein in one very small package. And if you were eating Greek yogurt with fat in it - heaven help ya! And the cost difference is INSANE.

I have no clue why they advise greek yogurt and when I tried to look it up, I got monkeys.

I suspect that the reason is because Fage yogurt has 0% potassium listed in several places on the web, but I DO NOT believe this information to be accurate. ALL dairy has potassium regardless of what the Internet says. One cup of milk has 300 mg of potassium in it. Unless they went to the effort to remove the naturally occuring potassium in milk and then made Greek yogurt out of it, which is completely illogical and why in the world would they ever do such a thing?? People on IG made the exact same mistake with the UHT shelf-stable milk, claimed it had no potassium and then it turned out it did. Even I bought into that one at first! :P

Both Yoplait and Fage have equal quantities of sodium in them.

crystal-light
February 5th, 2011, 04:32 PM
The only difference I've found is lower potassium in the greek yogurt. There is a 0% fat dannon brand greek yogurt at walmart and the plain has 160mg of potassium where the containers of yoplait light have 250mg of potassium.

mkarntz1980
February 6th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Okay yeah I bought some of the Fage and I noticed the 20 grams of protein!!!I did find some greek god yogurts.... 0 % fat...only 60 calories in 4 ounces and 4 grams of fat....not bad

atomic sagebrush
February 6th, 2011, 11:11 AM
The only difference I've found is lower potassium in the greek yogurt. There is a 0% fat dannon brand greek yogurt at walmart and the plain has 160mg of potassium where the containers of yoplait light have 250mg of potassium.

Thank you for sharing this!!!

atomic sagebrush
February 6th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Okay yeah I bought some of the Fage and I noticed the 20 grams of protein!!!I did find some greek god yogurts.... 0 % fat...only 60 calories in 4 ounces and 4 grams of fat....not bad

If you like them, that's great. Watch your fat intake though. The evidence indicates that saturated fat like you find in dairy products, sways blue.