PDA

View Full Version : Embryo viability

Persuing Lacey
August 1st, 2012, 06:17 PM
Can you tell if an embryo is alive just from looking at a picture? Sorry might seem like a silly question to you.

Also my last thaw resulted in an embryo with only 50% survival and I was told this wouldn't make a baby and it was discarded. Since then I have read stories on the net of women having success with such embryos. Can you please tell me your opinion on this?

Thank you in advance.

Persuing Lacey
August 2nd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Bump

Carole
August 3rd, 2012, 06:00 AM
Can you tell if an embryo is alive just from looking at a picture? Sorry might seem like a silly question to you.

Also my last thaw resulted in an embryo with only 50% survival and I was told this wouldn't make a baby and it was discarded. Since then I have read stories on the net of women having success with such embryos. Can you please tell me your opinion on this?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Pursuing Lacey,
If only half of an embryo's cells are intact, the chances for pregnancy are much reduced but not zero. It is a judgement call that the embryologist or physician makes based on their previous experience/outcome data with embryos similar to these. Opinions differ on this. Some argue that every embryo "deserves a chance". Others argue that transferring poor prognosis embryos too often results in getting patients' hopes up with an expensive transfer, only to result in their disappointment. Patients should make their perspective/opinion known on this matter, because like the embryologist or doctor, opinions vary. Are you willing to pay for a transfer with a low possibility of success? Hope this helps. Carole