PDA

View Full Version : two baby rate heartbeats at 18 weeks!!!!anyone?

toomanyboys
August 2nd, 2012, 07:24 PM
hi girls have been trying to avoid ondering and worrying about my pregnancy since my U/S at 10.5 weeks and also been busy with kids and their end of term schedule... so i have been pondering right form the beginning of this pregnancy whether firstly i was going to be able to maintain the pregnancy despite my history of bleeding in early pregnancy and bleeding....i managed to pass that hurdle and only now have been trying to hope and pray for a little princess......i have managed to find my baby's HB at 10 weeks then not again until 12 weeks with a home fetal doppler and since 13+ weeks been thinking i can hear 2 heartbeats which at times overlap but then also range form 146bpm and another which is 150bpm. i have had 2 U/S's done at 8.5 weeks and at 10.5 weeks. both times there was only 1 baby although i had something which seemed like a collapsed 2nd sac next to my baby. anyway, i have had 2 very strong dreams of twins of opposite gender early on but none since and also because unlike all my other pregnancies am hardly even growing this time and baby has not even properly kicked me yet so the last thing i could have is twins....BUT
i am picking up 2 heartbeats (not whoosh woosh sounds of the placenta or mine (which i know is around 75-85bpm). i keep finding a heartbeat at 150bpm and it stays at that then another one not exactly in the same place but next to it at 146bpm. then i have also been hearing overlpapping heartbeats. of the same rythem but sync then don;t sync with each other.

my main wish and concern is that this baby is my girl so hearing the 150bpm heartbeat is welcoming to me but to hear a 146bpm heartbeat is not only worrying but also makes me wonder whether ther is a chance that this is another baby???

is there a possibility this is just an echo...????but it really does feel like two heartbeats to me and please bear in mind...i can differentiate between mine and that of a baby and also the whoosh whoosh sound of the blood flow to the placenta....

i have another 2 weeks before my 20 week scan. i am not or trying to not finding out......the thought of another boy would be too upsetting....yes i will love it but i don't want to spend the rest of my pregnancy with GD. so will accept anything that comes my way on D day. oh...and bTW i had 7 pychic predictions telling me it is a girl...all symptoms point to a girl. apart formt he handful of dreams of having a boy and being utterly dissapointed and that of boy girl twins i have had no other signs...anyone else get overlapping heartbeats with their doppler and also get two different readings????

*ruby*
August 2nd, 2012, 08:04 PM
Babies heart rates have a range so for example you would hear a range of between 145 to 155bpm on the doppler. So it's probably just the one baby if u/s has ruled out twins already. Bubs hr is unlikely to be exactly the same each time you listen to it just like our adult hr. eg. If you take your pulse it would be different depending on time of day/ what you are doing etc. Bubs have there active then rest periods too.

I like the idea of not finding out until birth. I didn't find out with DS2 and didn't experience any GD.

Hope that helps

nuthinbutpink
August 2nd, 2012, 08:07 PM
I think it is nearly impossible not to see a twin at a 10 week ultrasound. It is either there and growing or not. With HT, we do u/s at 6 weeks and the only question with twin pregnancies is if they don't see two heartbeats not if there are potentially one or 2 babies there- they always see the beginnings of something at that point, it's just too early to confirm viability.

At 10.5 weeks, there should be no question whatsoever as to how many babies are there. That's nearly NT scan time and I'd even say it is impossible to miss a second baby at that point.

The Anchor
August 2nd, 2012, 08:32 PM
I just want to say that my MIL was pregnant with twins...and didn't find out until 18 weeks! Okay, so that was like 25 years ago...but it is possible!

nuthinbutpink
August 2nd, 2012, 08:40 PM
With modern technology, I'm standing by impossible.

atomic sagebrush
August 3rd, 2012, 09:56 AM
The only possible chance that twins could be missed in this day and age is on a very poor machine (so if your doctor's office still had some old machine from the 80's)or gross negligence. Sometimes you do hear of higher order multiples being missed but that's just because with quads, quints, etc. there is so much going on that it's harder to tell. Twins is pretty obvious.