PDA

View Full Version : Can you dye your hair when pregnant?

NCBeachyGrl
August 6th, 2012, 07:00 PM
ughh....I have a hair appt. next Monday and just remembered you aren't supposed to dye your hair when pregnant, right? GREAT! I am going to be looking rough if this is the case! HELP!

Ktiguewantspink
August 6th, 2012, 07:20 PM
My hair dresser, who is also a friend of the family claims you can and it's fine. I have the same concerns for when I get pregnant. Its debatable I think but you probably already knew that.

Ktiguewantspink
August 6th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Oh could you highlight your hair instead for your roots? That's what I did in prior pregnancies! The peroxide only goes on the foil and not your scalp that's why it's safer vs the hair dye sits directly on your scalp. Just a thought.

dloui128
August 6th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I asked my Dr and she said it was fine, so I have always dyed it all through pregnancy

mydream
August 6th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I always wait till after 12 weeks based on dr. rec. but I do know so many women that do it before that as well.

dreamingpink77
August 7th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Hi ladies, this is a question I also keep on asking and still not sure what I'll do when I get pregnant. Several doctors say it's ok to dye hair when pregnant as the amount of chemical which goes in the scalf is so little that it doesn't harm. I did some research in internet about this and found that there have been no studies at all that associated any birth defects with hair dyes. However if you are still in doubt (like I am) you might want to avoid dyeing hair in the first trimester or use a dye which contains no ammoiniac. Mine for example is Casting Creme Gloss - L'Oreal and it does not has ammoinac in it.

NCBeachyGrl
August 7th, 2012, 08:10 AM
This makes me feel so much better! I am just going to text my hair dresser and let her know and see if she uses anything different on pregnant ppl. She is a mom herself so I am sure she knows it all!!!

Tiffani3
August 7th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Hi girls I'm a hairdresser and have 3 boys coloured my hair all the way through with all pg's and there all good!!! :)
Being pg can make your hair more resistant to hair colour plus your skin can become more sensitive.
eg may not take as quickly as usual also may not be precisely the same result as you would have gotten before you were pg!
Plus if your going to have the colour applied to your scalp i would have a skin test done before hand just to make sure you dont have a allergic reaction cause that can also happen when your pg!!!
Hope that helped xxx

NCBeachyGrl
August 7th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks Tiffani! That is so helpful!!! :highfive:

Tiffani3
August 7th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Hi ladies, this is a question I also keep on asking and still not sure what I'll do when I get pregnant. Several doctors say it's ok to dye hair when pregnant as the amount of chemical which goes in the scalf is so little that it doesn't harm. I did some research in internet about this and found that there have been no studies at all that associated any birth defects with hair dyes. However if you are still in doubt (like I am) you might want to avoid dyeing hair in the first trimester or use a dye which contains no ammoiniac. Mine for example is Casting Creme Gloss - L'Oreal and it does not has ammoinac in it.

Casting creme gloss may not contain ammonia but it does contain peroxide so please do a skin test even if you used it all the time just to be safe.

NCBeachyGrl
August 8th, 2012, 05:11 PM
So I heard back from my hairdresser and she said she can do highlights, but just not dye on the root. So...my appt. is a go!

atomic sagebrush
August 10th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Strictly speaking you're not supposed to, but I did it a few times. The ol' gray mare ain't what she used to be! ;)

auroara78
August 13th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Did you get hair done all nice and pretty Beachy? I also did highlights during DS1 and 2 and they are fine!

NCBeachyGrl
August 13th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I have my appt at 3 today! I think she said she is going to make me a little darker so my roots don't show so much. Bye, bye blonde highlights!

Oh well! Worth the sacrifice to be pg :bigsmile:

BeadinMom
August 13th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I've been late getting my hair colored anyway...the roots...oh...my...the roots! I am so much grayer than I ever used to be! I'll be making an appt SOON.
I colored my hair through all 3 pregnancies, but from what I understood - it's not the blonde stuff that's a problem, it's the darker color dyes?

NCBeachyGrl
August 13th, 2012, 09:38 PM
She actually ended up making me go lighter! She only did foil highlights and used ammonia free dye. I couldn't smell a thing! Love the new do!!!

BeadinMom
August 13th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Ohh....I bet it's so pretty!!! :)