PDA

View Full Version : Reading to young babies?

ThinkPink
February 6th, 2011, 10:55 AM
DS is 6.5 months and I read books to him like The very hungry catepillar, Were going on a bear hunt ect.... my MIL (to be) thinks im crazy (this from someone who wanted me to introduce solids at 8 weeks!!!!) and says 'hes too young for books with a story whats the point, if your going to bother just get picture books?' but I like to read to him and he listens and giggles when I do the silly voices!! I know he doesnt understand but I hope it may be of some benefit to him!! Do you think he is a little young? Did you read to yours at this age and if so what did you read?

lindi
February 6th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Your mother in law is crazy. Read books to him with stories.

Lillylolly
February 6th, 2011, 02:12 PM
It is never too young to start books. You are doing a great job, ThinkPink!

lindi
February 6th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I know he doesnt understand but I hope it may be of some benefit to him!!

Also, babies really understand SO much more than we assume they do. They can't always respond in ways that make us think they are *understanding* but def. at 6 months he understands a LOT of what you are saying to him!

OneLastDream
February 6th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Ah, I dont think its too young - I read to my little 8 month old - he loves it and have been reading to him for ages - I did with my other two as well. Louie now stands up in his cot, gets his head under the black out blind and curtain and tries to get his books off the side although what actually happens is that they fall on the floor lol!!! This is when he is supposed to be sleeping!!!

nuthinbutpink
February 6th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I think it is a great thing! They don't understand the words but learning language is so much more than that! Keep doing what you're doing.

Catch!
February 6th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Ignore her, it is definitely worth it! They are learning, and enjoy it, and you will foster their love of reading. I read to DS from day 1, and he loves to read together and on his own now at 3.5.

atomic sagebrush
February 7th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I agree! I've read with all mine at that age and they seemed to enjoy it!

Eden
February 7th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I read to all of mine when there were that young. It was part of our routine and they loved it

Yuzu
February 8th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I read to my little one in utero! I don't think it's ever to early to start reading to your child.

Azuremyst
February 10th, 2011, 08:27 AM
LOL no not at all! Babies recongize stories read to them from the womb. I read to Olivia a book called "Olivia" It's about a piglet named Olivia.

Tweens&aBaby
February 11th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I am terrible at reading to my kids. I try but it's not my strong point as a mom. Ava will sit through one page and that isn't of me reading. She looks at the page for like 3 seconds and then hops down to go make a mess somewhere.

Tulips
March 16th, 2011, 02:13 AM
I was told by an ECE teacher that they should be read 1000 books by the time they start school, I think we have/will do that easily. One of my friends who is a great teacher says that hearing books teaches them concepts and language, it's not how complex etc it's how they are put together. I also tell stories and they love that.

LolaInLove
March 16th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I read a ton of books to my babies and I also talked to them a ton....I'd have little conversations with them, and wait for there reaction and then talk again. I opted not to do signing, but my mom is a early childhood expert/teacher and she told me when I was pg that the more talking/reading/interacting with babies, the more you are stimulating their little growing brains and are doing wonders for them aside from the obvious bonding benefits! Both of my dds could say 3-4 word sentences at 13-14 months, and I believe it's not because they are some sort of genius mensa children or anything but because they heard me talking to them so much that the language synapses in the brain developed quickly. READ AWAY!

Out of the Blue
April 4th, 2011, 03:19 PM
That's awesome! You can never start too early... Keep it up, Mama! :agree:

purplepoet20
April 5th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Your the mom, you knew him 9mths longer then anyone else, and you are the one that will raise him the man he is meant to be!!!

I started reading to DS1 when I was 3mths pregnant... Every kind of kids book, even Harry Potter, out loud, with sounds and voices, and I would do crazy movements if the story needed it. I am a Waldorf mom who believes that everything you do will shape and mold your child to be "who they are" and not what "others" think they are. A child could be playing 20ft from you and should you stop reading they will ask you to read somemore, are they listening or are they responding to your voice. It doesn't matter because they are learning. Don't worry about what people say or think, you are doing what you feel is right and that is "talking" to your child.

My DS1 is very smart for 3 and has been saying words and complete sentences since very early in his childhood, because he is talked to and read to. When someone comes up to him and talks in baby talk he will say "Hi I am James, Are you a baby?" it makes the other person say things like "O you must be short for your age how old are you". I get a laugh when they don't believe his age, he was 22mths when that happened. People can say and think so many crazy things because most people don't think a baby is smart they are just a ball of baby fat gooing and pooing. That is why we have so many problems in the school systems because people think babies and young kids don't need that boost at home because they will go to school at 5 and get it then. If you turn off the tv and computers for one weekend... sing songs (kids or your favorite), read stories, go on a nature hike, or even blow bubbles in the front yard! Your child will learn from something as simple as playing in the dirt with their fingers (clean dirt please no animal waste). We see a difference in our sons who have 3 days a week of no electronics and limited time during the week, compared to others who have no "playtime with a parent".

If you want to really understand more about the 0-6year old years buy "You are your childs first teacher" by Rahima Baldwin Dancy or a Waldorf early parenting book. Just the first chapter is worth reading because it opens your eyes to the world of mothering before people were focused on money. To me what I have been reading I see in my kids... We are trying to redo our back/front yards because the prevous owner was plant happy and we want a child friendly yard and an herb garden. While hubby and I do the hard work James steps in to help by filling in the dirt where we tell him he can. 2hrs of work and he was still going full force. When DS2 woke up from his nap he helped by throwing the little rocks he found and then clapped his hands. We do all chores as a family and it is amazing to see a 3 and 1 year loading the washer while I get the soap ready.

Ok sorry way off topic.... parenting is new to me coming from a family that saw kids as free-money, babysitter, and maid!!!

purplepoet20
April 5th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I read a ton of books to my babies and I also talked to them a ton....I'd have little conversations with them, and wait for there reaction and then talk again. I opted not to do signing, but my mom is a early childhood expert/teacher and she told me when I was pg that the more talking/reading/interacting with babies, the more you are stimulating their little growing brains and are doing wonders for them aside from the obvious bonding benefits! Both of my dds could say 3-4 word sentences at 13-14 months, and I believe it's not because they are some sort of genius mensa children or anything but because they heard me talking to them so much that the language synapses in the brain developed quickly. READ AWAY!

I love when little kids talk early what kinds of things did they say??? We were so happy when James was 13 mths and started saying "elocoptor fly way up there" it really was a bird but it could have passed for a helocoptor!

purplepoet20
April 5th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I am terrible at reading to my kids. I try but it's not my strong point as a mom. Ava will sit through one page and that isn't of me reading. She looks at the page for like 3 seconds and then hops down to go make a mess somewhere.

This is what DS1 did... he doesn't have the time to sit but he will listen. We are reading "The Great Big Treasury of Beatrix Potter" I sit in a chair in the play area and read loud enough for them to hear. Every once in awhile they look at the book and then play somemore. DS1 is starting to hang around me more and more. I will even read a parenting book, cook book, or a spanish book to them and they listen.

Flava
April 9th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I think it is a great thing! They don't understand the words but learning language is so much more than that! Keep doing what you're doing.

exactly ! it's not about the story it's about learning to talk , listening to the voice! I read books to my baby and she don't give a crab about it but that's ok because she can hear it and she listen!