PDA

View Full Version : Was HT worth it? Here's my story

KidAtHeart
August 21st, 2012, 12:50 AM
I have three boys and had GD during my second pregnancy (mostly disappeared after he was born, but then again, three kids was always the plan), so I didn't find out what I was having for the third. I just figured it would be a girl, you know? I told everyone that I didn't want to know bc I wanted to experience the surprise since I knew for the first two. Well, in part that was true, but the real truth is that I didn't want to confront the fact that it might be a boy. I just wanted to enjoy the pregnancy (I even bought two new outfits - pink and blue - to take to the hospital. And it felt great to legitimately buy pink!). And once the baby came, on the off chance it was a boy (ha!), I figured I would bond with him and get over it. After all, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, surely.

Well, I did bond with him and I am not sorry I had three kids. But I had no idea what a tailspin I would go into. Major depression. There were other factors (health issues, job issues, a move away from family), aside from having three young kids, that contributed to the depression. But a lot of that was caused by GD, for sure.

Once we got settled into our new house / job / recovered from illness, I had just turned 39 and we began the HT journey (or what we refer to as the 'crazy train', a line taken from a previous poster!). To make a long story short, I had two failed attempts. Both cycles cancelled even before retrieval. It was brutal. It was all in secret. It was unbelievably high stress and high stakes. All in all as far as HT goes, if it's going to fail, it failed well for me. I didn't have to go through the retrieval even, or worse, the possibility of leftover boy embryos. It was a lot of money down the drain with no baby to show for it.

As the three lovely children that I DO have grow, I am embracing the fact that there will be no more diapers, no crazy toddlers, and all the fun possibilities - travel, eating out, all the mundane things made easier by not having an infant or a toddler. It's definitely a silver lining and how I am moving forward (I never really wanted four kids, three sounded so much more manageable. But I was so desperate to have a girl that I decided that in the end, I could overcome the difficulties of having so many kids).

But I will say this, I do wish things had turned out differently. I still wish I had my own little girl in my arms. I wish that the little hole I still feel was instead filled with my daughter. It wasn't meant to be for me. HT was a total failure and while I torture myself with the thought of TTC naturally, the fact is, my husband is ready to move on - and mostly, so am I. I'm 40 years old now. My children are older and we are moving beyond the baby stage. I'm looking forward to having fun with them!

So was HT worth it? On the one hand, it was a failure with no baby and several thousand dollars down the drain (but I wouldn't have done it if we couldn't have afforded it). On the other, if I hadn't done it, I would not only still have a deep desire for a daughter, but all the 'what ifs' that come with that. At least I don't have regrets. The fact that my husband agreed to it at all and supported me through it was a true test of our marriage, and I have to say, made it all the more stronger. And in the end, I gambled away money, not a fourth child. Would I have GD with a fourth boy? Most definitely. Would I regret having a fourth boy? I'm positive I would come around, but that is not a journey I looked forward to at all. On the other hand, a chance to have a fourth child with a guarantee of a girl?? No regrets on that account.

But the gender desire did not disappear with our attempts. I still have to concentrate on all the positive things in my life and consciously push away the GD thoughts. I'm sure it will get easier with time. I'm also sure that I will never *truly* be over it. But I am finding peace. I have given away the vast majority of my baby items, and found true satisfaction in that.

When I find myself wallowing, here are some of the things I think of so that the moment will pass:
1. I met a new neighbor with two healthy boys and a girl - with severe Downs. Put things in perspective for me.
2. I have several friends with all boys who truly don't seem bothered by it. While we never talked about GD (so taboo!), I've never gotten the sense that they experienced GD. And they are pretty girly! So I'm trying to take a cue from them.
3. I ask myself the following questions:
how much do I want a girl? 100%
but how much do I want a boy? 10%
and how much do I want another baby? about 15%. The answers change from day to day (well, not the 100%!), but it does help me sort out my feelings. Do I really want another baby, or do I just want a girl? (I just want a girl) Is it worth the risk? No. Not unless I can get the other two answers up to over 50%. The highest I ever got for the boy question was 40%, so that answers my own question for me.

I don't regret doing HT, just it not working. I don't even regret the $$. It's only money. If I had gotten pregnant, it would have been the best money I ever spent.
And while I still experience GD from time to time, I think it is lessening and I'm finding peace. We just don't always get what we want in life. I did make a vow to myself, even during the bad GD days, that I wouldn't let GD come before the kids I do have. If that meant turning the computer off so that I could play with them, I would force myself to do so.

And now I hardly ever log on anymore. It's time to move on.
Good luck with your journey - I sincerely hope that you end up with the child you've always dreamed about. But if you don't, I hope you find peace. I'm still working on it, but now I feel it's within my grasp.

coocoobananas
August 21st, 2012, 01:01 AM
I'm pregnant with my 3rd and assume its a boy but deep down think its a girl... If that makes sense???
I'm not giving myself the option of a 4th as it was never in the cards so I don't want it to suddenly be for a girl... But this is easy to say on this side before I know!! I'm reassuring myself that if 3 boys, they will fulfill (or overwhelm) me enough to not even have an ounce of gd... But I'll refer back to here if it comes, very well said and I hope for you it will completely dissapear for you over time:)

1wish
August 21st, 2012, 04:15 AM
Great words x

Mum23boys
August 21st, 2012, 05:17 AM
Thank u for sharing that with that - It was a good read.
I too have 3 boys and have never had GDis with them as always wanted 4 children. My problem now is that DH is saying 3 is enough and so we might never know if our 4th was our daughter if that makes sense ( though i think he has just come around to agreeing - so fingers crossed !!!) I desperately want another baby but DH thinks I just want a daughter and i cant lie I do but i think 3 or even 4 boys is an amazing blessing and we have a good chance of getting on with atleast 1 of their wives surely and enjoying grand daughters rather than daughters - atleast we can hand them back :-)
I know it will be a hard journey for you but I think like with most things the thoughts will be come less and less or fewer and further between and start to be sparked by things rather than being there all the time. All u can do now is enjoy the family you do have and remember that to have 3 beautiful healthy children is such a blessing in itself.

dreamingpink77
August 21st, 2012, 05:55 AM
KidAtHeart, thanks for sharing this with us, it must not have been easy for you even to write it down as it just reminds you again of your GD. I really wish you luck in all the things you do but mostly I really hope you will get over your GD or at least most of it. I do think that if I don't get my girl, I will always have a deep whole in my heart too, but at least we can say, we tried. I hope one day you have grandaughters who may perhaps fill a little of the empty space you feel in your heart. Wishing you and your family lots of happiness!

LacePrincess
September 20th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have always wanted to know if HT is worth the expense and heartache, and how it feels to have to hide it from so many people close to you that wouldn't understand. I don't even think it's the money, it's the controversy and the burden of keeping it secret that I fear.

IMHO, I think one day, you'll look back and not regret that you at least tried.....even if it's been so difficult and didn't work out the way you dreamed, at least you tried, yk? I think you would've always wondered 'what if' if you hadn't at least given it a shot. At least I think that's how I would feel in your shoes, and who knows in a few more years I might be!

deaks66
September 20th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Like this alot, thankyou for taking the time to write it down x

Yuzu
September 20th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Thank you for your story. I'm considering HT and I've wondered what it would be like if it failed. It makes the decision so much harder.