PDA

View Full Version : Bilateral uterine notching

jazzers
August 23rd, 2012, 09:48 AM
Has anyone else experienced this in a previous pregnancy?

Zivic-Bubac
August 23rd, 2012, 11:34 AM
You mean like sharp pain?
I didn't have it in previous pregnancies, this time sharp pain on the right quite often. I'm having a girl again :(

Rosie85
August 23rd, 2012, 11:39 AM
It is not the pain but something very different....

Systolic and Diastolic are are related to heart beats. Uterine Artery is blood vessel carrieng blood around uterous. Notches are blood flow pulses like similar to beats. Below is taken from other answers from ndtv site related to pregnency.

At 16 weeks of pregnancy it is perfectly normal for one or both main uterine arteries to show an early diastolic notch. As pregnancy advances this notch disappears. It reflects the relationship between the growing placenta and the muscles and blood vessels in the uterus. The notch disappears by 22 weeks of pregnancy. Persistence of the notch after 22 weeks is associated with pregnancy-induced hypertension, low birth weight, and higher rates of operative delivery and longer duration of nursery care. The notch can be very satisfactorily treated with medication. There is no cause for alarm at this stage.

jazzers
August 23rd, 2012, 04:26 PM
This is what I'm referring to ;)

I'm 24 weeks with my 3rd pregnancy, and had never been tested for this before. But this pregnancy, I had my PAPP-A level come back borderline (0.4 and their limit for "normal" is 0.4) so I got referred to Maternal Fetal Medicine, and they discovered this. I can't find much about it online though, other than the devastating effects it can mean for baby (and me - pre-E). I've NEVER had any symptoms of Pre-E before, and my babies have always been a good size - 8.5lbs). So, what is confusing me, is why is this coming up THIS pregnancy? Wouldn't the uterine arteries be the same, regardless of pregnancy? I mean, if I were going to have it, wouldn't I have it each and every time because that's the way my arteries are? I just wonder if it isn't some random thing that they caught, that I perhaps have always had, but has never caused trouble.... Anyone with experience??

It is not the pain but something very different....

Systolic and Diastolic are are related to heart beats. Uterine Artery is blood vessel carrieng blood around uterous. Notches are blood flow pulses like similar to beats. Below is taken from other answers from ndtv site related to pregnency.

At 16 weeks of pregnancy it is perfectly normal for one or both main uterine arteries to show an early diastolic notch. As pregnancy advances this notch disappears. It reflects the relationship between the growing placenta and the muscles and blood vessels in the uterus. The notch disappears by 22 weeks of pregnancy. Persistence of the notch after 22 weeks is associated with pregnancy-induced hypertension, low birth weight, and higher rates of operative delivery and longer duration of nursery care. The notch can be very satisfactorily treated with medication. There is no cause for alarm at this stage.