PDA

View Full Version : Swollen feet/ankles and baby's gender

Zivic-Bubac
August 23rd, 2012, 12:30 PM
I've found on-line that if you have swollen feet and/or ankles, you're probably carrying a boy.
Or it your right foot is more swollen, it's a boy.

In my 2 previous pregnancies I had no swelling, this time my right foot and ankle are swollen and painful. I elevate my right leg and do everything my dr recommended but it doesn't get much better.

Please share your experiences! :)

Important: I don't need lecturing about swelling being a pregnancy symptom regardless of gender blah, blah...:rolleyes:

mummypink
August 23rd, 2012, 12:37 PM
Hi,

I didn't get any swelling with either of my first two pregnancies that were both boys, too early to know for this one yet! :)

NCBeachyGrl
August 23rd, 2012, 12:40 PM
Boy!!!!!! With DS1 my feet and ankles were balloons! DH joked about my "cankles" frequently and took pics of them at the hospital. I did end up having high blood pressure, but not true preeclampsia.

Zivic-Bubac
August 23rd, 2012, 12:47 PM
Boy!!!!!!Cool! :)
I have high blood pressure too in this pg, not preeclampsia, my ob/gyn prescribed me methyl-dopa, now pressure is normal.

dloui128
August 23rd, 2012, 01:06 PM
My legs and ankles are swollen and I'm having a boy, and I have gained more weight now at this point then I did total with my girls, I just tell everyone my ass is just swollen too :rofl:

How are you feeling? You don't have much longer now, I'm so jealous

mydream
August 23rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
interesting post.. def had some swelling with both boys..now nothing so far.
I also found that when preg with the boys I ate constantly!!! I was so hungry all the time. I am not with this preg and have not gained nearly as much weight at this point as I did with the boys....I wonder if there is any link to that.
They say you eat more if you are carrying a boy...any thought?

dloui128
August 23rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
interesting post.. def had some swelling with both boys..now nothing so far.
I also found that when preg with the boys I ate constantly!!! I was so hungry all the time. I am not with this preg and have not gained nearly as much weight at this point as I did with the boys....I wonder if there is any link to that.
They say you eat more if you are carrying a boy...any thought?

I definitely eat more now then I did with my girls

Yuzu
August 23rd, 2012, 02:49 PM
I was thinking about swelling this morning! The lady on television had very swollen ankles--she was pregnant with twins (boy and girl). I've been lucky to never have swelling at all.

Zivic-Bubac
August 23rd, 2012, 03:41 PM
How are you feeling? You don't have much longer now, I'm so jealousI'm fine, thanks for asking :kiss: Ready to deliver this baby like 2 weeks ago, but she won't cooperate :wink:

NCBeachyGrl
August 23rd, 2012, 04:59 PM
Good luck!!!!! Have you gotten any gender clues about your baby or just guessing girl based on feeling?

lobella2
August 23rd, 2012, 05:49 PM
I had terrible swelling with my first two (a boy and a girl), but hardly any swelling with my 3rd (a girl). For me though I think it had to do with time of the year. I was pregnant with my first two in the summer and my third in the winter. The heat seems to make me swell terribly.

Hobbermittens
August 23rd, 2012, 05:56 PM
I was much more swollen with my son than my girls, and I have been really swollen lately with this one too. But both this pregnancy and my son were through the summer,so I think the heat has a lot to do with it (for me anyway!).

How soon is that baby coming? I have been thinking about you a lot!

XXdreaming
August 23rd, 2012, 09:40 PM
I never swell that I know of, I mean I still wore the same shoes when my sisters were pregnant their feet couldn't fit in their shoes at all had to buy new ones, one had a boy and the other a girl, and of course I got 4 boys but wonder if the root has to do with what you crave because diet plays a big part in your body holding fluids

HopingForPigtails
August 24th, 2012, 12:03 AM
I had no swelling at all with my pregnancies (both boys). I agree- I think it has to do with what you eat, how much you exercise, etc. I also had a loss of appetite (especially in sweets and I normally have a sweet tooth) with both my boys.

I think all of those things- if you gain hair, lose hair, get clearer skin or worse skin, swell/don't swell, get oilier/drier- whatever it is- I just think none of it has rhyme or reason!! It all just depends!

Zivic-Bubac
August 24th, 2012, 04:52 PM
How soon is that baby coming? I have been thinking about you a lot!Awww, thank you! Officially, I'm due in 2 weeks, but I was hoping for an earlier delivery. Obviously not going to happen lol!

Zivic-Bubac
August 24th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Good luck!!!!! Have you gotten any gender clues about your baby or just guessing girl based on feeling?Thank you! :) I was told "girl" on 12 and 15 weeks scan which was more then enough, I mean after that I didn't need more girl confirmations, it just felt like a punch in my face.

I have pretty bad GD with this baby, I could almost say it's EGD :(
I lived in denial for few months, but now I'm just waiting to face the inevitable :(

Zivic-Bubac
August 24th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I forgot to say: please just share your experiences! I really, really don't need lecturing about possible causes of swelling. Thank you! :)

The Anchor
August 24th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Weird...I didn't have any swelling with DD, just a little with DS...I am 7 weeks now and have been wearing pants for the last 3 weeks cuz my ankles look like they belong to my grandmother...especially the right one! I was striking it up to old age!
Only time will tell the gender for #3...

NCBeachyGrl
August 24th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Thank you! :) I was told "girl" on 12 and 15 weeks scan which was more then enough, I mean after that I didn't need more girl confirmations, it just felt like a punch in my face.

I have pretty bad GD with this baby, I could almost say it's EGD :(
I lived in denial for few months, but now I'm just waiting to face the inevitable :(

I am sorry you are having a hard time and suffering from GD. GD is a nasty thing! I'll be keeping everything crossed that somehow it is a boy. If it isn't boy, I know you will be a fabulous mom and will fall in love with your baby. Hang in there!!

lisa3delta
August 25th, 2012, 11:39 AM
my feet swell SO much when im pregnant, i cant get shoes on towards the end, i always thought it was weird that my left swelled a little more than my right tho. Ive had 3 girls. no boys :[

Hobbermittens
August 25th, 2012, 03:42 PM
My right is more swollen than my left, I guess I never really noticed that until this post, but I have no idea if this happened during any other pregnancy.

Mochagirl
August 25th, 2012, 05:55 PM
With my (boy) twins my feet and ankles swelled up so much I had to wear shoes 2 sizes bigger! With ds3, my ankles never swelled, but my fingers did - I remember taking off my rings at about 6 months.

This pregnancy, my only girl, I have no swelling at all - my rings are still loose on my fingers and my ankles look normal. This is really surprising because this is my first summer pregnancy, and it's been a hot one.

atomic sagebrush
April 4th, 2018, 12:47 PM
I never answered this because I'd literally just had a baby that week LOL but since a spammer just bumped it up for me, I had swollen ankles with my 1st pregnancy (boy) not with my 2nd or 3rd (both boys) and then again with my 4th and 5th (boy and girl.) I always get more swollen on my left side. (still, since now I'm old and getting swollen ankles due to that :/) My mom had INSANELY swollen ankles with her last two, had to have the special pantyhose and everything and she had a boy and a girl. And, the poor gal that posted this thread in the first place, desperately seeking hope she was having a boy - had another girl as well.

yet another pregnancy symptom that does not predict gender in any reliable way.

Parying4agirl
April 4th, 2018, 01:16 PM
I dont think ive ever got crazy swollen hands or feets
My shoes still fit me, only had to take my ring of in the last month of preg

Thats will all 3 boys

lea
April 4th, 2018, 02:50 PM
I, too, have read a study, when a male expects a mother in the second quarter has more appetite. The study says that males need more calories and testosterone leads mom to eat more. Actually with my two males I was so hungry. While my female daughters friends had the same appetite. I do not know if there can be something real, some experience sir?

atomic sagebrush
April 4th, 2018, 02:59 PM
There may be something to this (unlike most of the studies) but the thing is, it's not in any way reliable. These are the kind of things that drive people nutso because it's really next to impossible to judge your appetite (I mean, I was always hungrier when pregnant, and while I look back in retrospect and think "hmm maybe I was a little less hungry with my girl" is that a real memory or did it just seem like that?) and I have found that every single one of the symptoms tends to make people upset - either because people feel false despair, worrying over symptoms that they think are telling them their baby is a certain gender, or else false elation where they think they have a guarantee and then are devastated when the ultrasound tells a different tale. Since I personally experienced a lot of sadness with my 3rd pregnancy, when every symptom said "girl" but it was a boy, I really hate you guys reading anything into symptoms at all.

Throwaway_panther
May 29th, 2018, 03:39 PM
Haha, I actually had no idea that swelling was an OWT thing. I never heard it until I started going through this forum!

I didn't have any swelling except maybe my face with DD -- I wore my rings all through and after pregnancy, and used to joke my feet actually went down a size (which they did lol). But I only comment because I thought it was just a "genetics" thing and planned to get a tattoo on my ankle after surviving pregnancy with them slim. Is this the thought of a naive young fool lol? Obviously I hope desperately I get my boy, but I didn't even think that swelling could be a pregnancy by pregnancy thing -- oops!

atomic sagebrush
May 29th, 2018, 03:49 PM
My primary suspicion is that it has to do with the amount you're sedentary vs. on your feet plus just how "high blood pressury" you tend to get (for me that's a lot LOL), your age, the elasticity of your tissues, overall level of fitness, weight, etc. My mom was on her feet constantly, no wonder she had swollen ankles, you know?? I was on my feet with my first then not as much with my second/third (was super fit with my 3rd pregnancy too) and then my 4th and 5th I was getting old. I just think there are so many variables that have nothing to do with our baby's gender that could cause us to have varying levels of swollenness that we can't read anything reliable into it. :)

Throwaway_panther
May 29th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Ah that would explain it! I go practically hypotensive during pregnancy!